Any Thinkpad P52 owner?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by shengna, Jul 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ike2k

ike2k Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I did the same as far as the HDD goes. Just ordered with 500gb and then dropped in 2/ea 1TB NVME SSD’s and. 2TB SATA SSD. Took me a few times to clone the OS HDD how I wanted but all good now.

I ordered with 32Gb memory so can’t help you there...but yes the original 8Gb is likely on the backside of the mobo.

They released another Bios firmware update when I checked this AM and it says to have fixed an issue of black screen when using dedicated graphics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntnyc likes this.
  2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Look in the HMM, you need to remove keyboard to access the other 2 ram slots.

Dropping in the ram won't have a problem, go ahead.

3. biff2bart

biff2bart Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    ike2K and Mobius 1:

Thank you both for your helpful comments. Machine is on the way and I'll let you know how it works out in a couple of weeks once everything is all set up and running properly.

Cheers,

4. ike2k

ike2k Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Cheers!

Also hit up Nvidia site for driver updates on the P3200. I just got another driver update for that yesterday as well.

In other news I seem to have to have a stuck pixel on my UHD screen. Stuck in green mode. Dang it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. kinyobiWan

kinyobiWan Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry for the late reply. Things have been busy on my end. You've probably already added your new 970 Pro and reinstalled the OS but if you haven't then think about just cloning the included HDD and maybe use it as storage. That's more or less what I did and using the Samsung Data Migration software worked really well. The only hiccup I had was that I a conflict with the old drive since they had the same drive letter but that wasn't an issue since I was going to pull it out anyway. Once I pulled out the HDD and and switched thing around in the BIOS, I was all set.

Anyway, just a thought.

6. biff2bart

biff2bart Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi kinyobiWan:

I actually JUST received my P52 about an hour ago. I have the ram and SSD installed now: need to get the OS on the SSD and see where things go. Anyone have a good link on how to do this? It's been a few years since I did this before...

7. biff2bart

biff2bart Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Never mind: did some research and it was pretty easy to do:

The machine will detect the digital license (Win 10 Pro on mine) and install was pretty quick overall.

Machine is running smoothly so far :)

Arondel, ike2k and huntnyc like this.
  8. kinyobiWan

kinyobiWan Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey bart,
    Yeah, that's one way to go. the other would be to clone the current hard drive. To do that you would just use a cloning program like Samsung's Data Migration tool. Either way works. Just a heads up, I upgraded to Windows 10 version 1809 and have had some issues with the laptop seeing my external monitor. I have to reboot for it to see it. I don't think this is an issue with the laptop; just Windows 10. Point is, you may want to hold off on that update if you can.

Enjoy,

k

9. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Also, on the Lenovo support page for your laptop, you can download the original Lenovo image (uses an included Lenovo tool to download the ~14-15GB "image" to a flash drive).

Arondel and huntnyc like this.
  10. kinyobiWan

kinyobiWan Newbie

Reputations:
    Awesome jeremy, didn't know they did that! That's a good backup in case something happens to my current install.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.