1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Any Reviews and Experiences with LG screen LP173WF1 (as built stock in my new x7200) ?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by cyberhank, Jan 8, 2011.

1. psun786

psun786 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    5 Ways To Fix A Stuck Pixel On Your Screen

I guess you received an "A-" grade screen, which usually has 2~4 light or dark pixel.

Honestly, I would highly recommend you return or exchange the panel if you still can... unless the defect pixels aren't obvious.

I highly doubt the defective pixel can be all fixed. They wouldn't bear a "A-" grade if the defective pixels are result of misconfiguration :rolleyes:

2. eoinmfoley

eoinmfoley Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Slighly off the point here but I see in your sig that you are going to buy the Clevo X7200. Where are you going to buy it? I was all set to order one from Avadirect and then I started to see lots of complaints about them on the web (mostly from the same customer) but complaints nonetheless.

Has anyone here bought from them? Any problems? Any truth to the allegations that they use refurbished hardware and call it new?

I am now faced with the prospect of getting an M18X but the GPU/CPU choices are outdated and the machine is nearly twice the price of the Clevo X7200 or the Mysn XMG u700.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

3. EvolutionTheory

EvolutionTheory Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was planning on ordering the x7200 from them next week! Would you mind linking to the poor reviews you read? That worries me.

Still though, it doesn't make sense to order an M18x over the x7200 unless you want to pay more for significantly less powerful hardware but a nice screen and backlight keyboard.

If I don't order from AVA I'll order from xotic.

Edit: I was reading over reviews tonight and vendor suggestions and found these guys, who on paper sound pretty amazing! Origin

4. eoinmfoley

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply. The bad reviews can be found here:

WARNING - AVA Direct nightmare ! - General-Laptops-Notebooks - Laptops-Notebooks

AVADirect-RIPOFF

I'll check out xotic and that other one you recommended. I'm in Europe so I really have to be sure about who I'm ordering from as I would be a lot of hassle to send it back if there were problems, especially if they're the kind of company who don't want go know you after they have your cash.

I'm also going to check out Schenker mysn.com They're XMG U700 looks pretty sweet but their website is in German and hard to find reviews from people who have bought from them.

Edit: Just checked out Origin PC and I'm very impressed. Just need to check them out a bit on the web but their prices look pretty good and they have all the new gear. I think an EON17 may be in my future....

5. Epsilon748

Epsilon748 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why go with Origin? From what I can tell, their prices run a few hundred more than straight up resellers. XoticPC, MALIBAL, Mythlogic, LPC-Digital, etc are all a bit cheaper. Origin seems to be more like VoodooPC/Falcon Northwest/Digital Storm in that they rebrand the Sagers, do arguably a tiny bit more testing, and sell it for a ton more money as a boutique computer. At least Falcon Northwest offers theirs with a freaking awesome paint job.

6. EvolutionTheory

Reputations:
    The x7200 I configured maxed out but with 12gb of ram instead of Origin's max of 24gb ram was $100 cheaper than xoticpc and it included with Origin two Crucial M4's which xotic doesn't even offer yet. So, perhaps with lesser models it is cheaper or if you are considering a cash discount which I haven't asked Origin about yet, but with the high end model I'm considering none of the other resellers are less expensive thus far. Again though, I'm not counting "special" discounts which anyone may or may not offer over the phone.

Origin also offers the paint job, offers free lifetime support and no labor fees, and includes a 45 day no dead pixel guarantee.

So in this situation not only is xotic not cheaper, not counting discounts or price matching, but they don't even offer the same components on their website yet, and Origin offers to find and install *any* component.

Just playing devils advocate to your response, I'd rather buy from any company as long as it's the best quality for the price. I don't have loyalty to Origin or anyone else yet.

7. EvolutionTheory

Reputations:
    That specific review you read was replied to by AVA explaining the person on the bad review campaign ended up having the police called on them for harassing AVADirect, and AVA explains all they did to make it right but to no avail as the described "unstable" reviewer couldn't be pleased with free upgrades and products. So that leaves us debating the word of the reviewer's negative review campaign vs AVADirect. It makes it a much harder choice though since other resellers dont seem to have yet had this type of experience. I'm going to check out your other links in a little bit, thanks!

8. eoinmfoley

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice and the Origin PC suggestion. I think I'm going to go with Origin as they have what I'm looking for a the right price and have no trouble shipping to Europe. It works out to be a great deal for me as I'll be converting the price to €, so it's going to run me about 3000, which is cheaper than an mid-range M17X over here. They also offer some cool paint jobs and custom painting.

9. EvolutionTheory

Reputations:
    I would recommend emailing them first with any questions you have. I'm waiting on a response from them from Friday, still not too long of a wait though.

10. eoinmfoley

Reputations:
    Decision firmly made today. I'm going to go with Origin as they will accept credit card payment and ship to Europe.

Avadirect (worryingly) wanted me to pay by wire transfer and organise my own shipping with Fedex to pick up from their shop!!!! Sure, i'll give you my cash straight up with no way to get it back if there are problems and I'll organise the shipping so if it doesn't arrive in 1 piece, I'll have to deal with Fedex. No thanks.

11. EvolutionTheory

Reputations:
    Woh! What the hell? That is very troubling. Did they make this seem like a standard practice??

12. eoinmfoley

Reputations:
    I presume they don't do that for domestic orders but it would leave me way too exposed to getting f**ked over. Thanks again for the Origin info, don't think I would gave found them by chance. Shipping with them is kind of expensive at $350 but the more I look into them, the more I think they are the better choice. Just gotta save another 2K.

13. Delpan

Delpan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have just bought a Clevo laptop, but there is a very bad LG panel on it, i can see that there has been a lot of flaming of this specific panel, so obviously i have been scouting the internet for a top class panel, there is a lot of threads about it in here!

Looks like after a lot of research that my choice of panel is gonna be either:
    I just cant decide which one to get, the first one is glossy and the other is matte, but i like both types so it has to come down to which one has the highest colours, brightness and all that and the best responses.

1: AUO B173HW01 v.4 (this is a pretty old screen????)
    2: CMO1720 / N173HGE-L21 (this is a 2011 panel)

Both screens has view angles: 70/70/60/60
    Both screens has 8 ms response time
    Both screens has around 300 brightness
    Both screens has 1920x1080P resolution and 17,3" inch size
    As far as i know the contrast ratings are pretty much close aswell

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-MSI-GT780R-Notebook.56040.0.html
    http://www.chimei-innolux.com/opencm...ml?__locale=en
    The CMO1720 is in the new MSI GT780R laptop, and Notebookcheck talks of it like its an insanely good panel.

When all comes to all, which of these 2 panels is the best? which one comes out on top? and why?

14. heng8866

heng8866 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    really hard to find v.4. I will try LP173WF1. It seems to be the closest to v.4