Any problems with Dell notebook?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by snowstar, Sep 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowstar

snowstar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How about the quality of Dell notebook?
    Is it good?
    Has anyone met any problems or found any disadvantage of it?

:centrino:

2. wong3541

wong3541 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Nope, I'm happy with my I6000d.

3. thecollegekid

thecollegekid Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i love my 700m. :p

4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    ThinkPads are the best built notebooks. There is some variation in Dell's lineup. Generally Lattitudes are better than Inspirons.

5. jimmy_simms

jimmy_simms Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just do not have a problem with yout IBM, we use them at work and two of us have been waiting 5 months for a replacement part from IBM, due they say to a world wide shortage in various part.
    I think it more has to do with IBM and there poor service, especially the group they sold to take over making and selling of their machines.
    Strong build, expensive paper weights in many cases.
    I have I9300 and 700M, get the 3 years warranty and never worry

6. ZaZ

Reputations:
    I think you are in the minority.

7. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1

Reputations:
    Well, Thinkpads have always been nice and solid, but good luck getting parts for them if one DOES fail.

Dells are easier to get parts for, but aren't usually as well constructed. The Inspiron "consumer" line are the only ones they want "regular people" to have because of the 90 day warranty default...make sure it's at least a year.

The Latitudes are constructed ALMOST as well as the IBMs, and are still easier to get parts for, and they come with a 3 year warranty. You just have to pretend to be a buisness in order to get one. ;)

Basically, it's a trade off. Inspirons are cheaper, and usually shorter warranties. Cheaper plastics, not as much thought in the design. Latitudes have longer warranties, and are well constructed, with higher-end parts (though notably lower-level GPUs). Both Dell lines are extremely configurable. Thinkpads are built like Swiss watches you might say (or Hondas, maybe), but they're more expensive than anything, hard to get parts for, will ONLY accept Thinkpad parts for the most part, and are NOT very flexible in their custom configurations (it's more like 20 pre-defined trim lines). Come to think of it, Thinkpads are a LOT like Hondas. :)

8. jimmy_simms

jimmy_simms Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You put perfectly what I was trying to say with IBM's. Great if they work, just do not be one of the unlucky ones if it breaks down and are stuck with a dead system for months. The worst part is that you can only replace them with specific IBM parts, thus you can wait a while.
    My best friend worked at IBM for the past coupe of years in Australia. I get this info first hand when he tells me of the abuse especially bussiness customers give him when faced with long waits.

9. checho

checho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I love my Latitude C640 :)

10. ZaZ

Reputations:
    Had a problem with my keyboard on my old T41. I called IBM and had a new one the next day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.