Any point in holding off on the Gigabyte Aero 15?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by zovc, May 25, 2017.

1. HermannnTheGerman

HermannnTheGerman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can't comment on ghosting but for simple shortcuts, nope, they are not yet fixed. I updated Fusion to V4.2.2 and keyboard firmware to 1.1.9 but this did not resolve all keyboard issues, e.g.,
    • wordwise highlighting: right hand control-shift-left is not registered at all
    • beginning/end highlighting: left hand control-shift-down registers as c-s-up

2. Deep90

Deep90 Newbie

Reputations:
    Quick question, as i'm interested in the laptop. Does the problem still happen even with an external keyboard? I feel like I can live with it, if the shortcuts work on a plugged in keyboard. Would you still recommend purchasing it?

3. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Senthil Sadasivam Were you able to solve your battery issues?
    I basically have the same problem as you, but I also applied a -125mV undervolt and fixed the emptyproject11.exe bugs.
    Any tips?

4. rooney111

rooney111 Newbie

Reputations:
    Came here to say that absolutely love this laptop to bits. Fell in love with the design, looked great on specssheet so didn't hesitate and pulled the trigger. Aero 15X was available but from specs comparing, only difference is the 1060 vs 1070. Benchmarks say that 1070 is reasonably good upgrade from 1060 but for my needs the Aero 15 was perfect!

Only downside was the ELAN touchpad which it came with. But I updated to the Windows Precision driver and oh boy it is night and day difference. There are heaps of gaming laptops out there but they are fat, heavy, 2 hours battery and some of them are just plain uugly(opinion).

zovc likes this.
  5. zovc

zovc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey! I ended up scoring an Open Box ~2016 MSI GS63VR and it seemed too good to pass up. It gets the job done, but it doesn't feel like a great fit. It's been doing a pretty good job as a desktop replacement, but its battery is really weak and I think the Aero's would be a great upgrade. The mobile 1060 is great as far as I can tell, and is probably more than I need.

I do wish mobile CPUs were quicker, and I think I'd really appreciate the jump to 7xxx CPUs or even more so the 8xxx CPUs. But, I'm trying to enjoy this unit while I can and get a better idea of my needs. Chances are, I'm going to end up moving to a laptop without a dedicated GPU for the better battery life and the fact that I genuinely am missing having a touchscreen a lot.

6. rooney111

rooney111 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm on similar boat as you. MSI Stealth Pro was one of the models I short listed, it was very very good value for money. But I ended up paying a small premium for the Aero 15 as it works as a desktop replacement + portable option.

Once I have my own house with a study room, I will be getting a desktop + 8k monitor, until then this little beastie will suffice ;)