Any point in holding off on the Gigabyte Aero 15?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by zovc, May 25, 2017.

1. bruno.uy

bruno.uy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The x5 protrudes behind the screen, making it bigger than the p650.

2. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, the Aorus is quite thin (thinner than the P650 w/ 1070) but it definitely has a big footprint for a 15" laptop with that posterior.

4. scrod

Reputations:
    Has anyone seen specs on the Max-Q Clevo P950 with GTX1070 mentioned at the Nvidia site?

5. atacool3

atacool3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Guys I got a question... The new laptops released at computex looks alright but have huge drawbacks compared to aero 15, a jack of all trades and a master of none. I realized for the same price as a zephyrus or something I can get a eGPU for the aero 15. I mean I wont/cant game without a mains plug nearby, which the eGPU would need anyways. Isnt a GTX 1060 good for a normal pc noob like me or is it noticeably lacking(I have never had any of the newest GPUs so I dont know the difference)(noticeable lacking for a 60Hz 1080p screen running games like Arma 3, battlefield 1, Overwatch, CS:GO, Total War, player unknowns battleground or Witcher 3. I dont really care for ultra high settings and dont mind high or medium(for witcher 3) settings). And if the GTX 1060 is really lacking should I get a 600$ Aorus eGPU?(or whatever you guys recommend)

Also I would like to apologise for the bracketception.

Also could you tell me if I were to get a 120Hz 1080p external monitor would a GTX 1060 be suitable for it?

6. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The 1060 will do high/ultra on most games at 1080p 60hz just fine. It's pretty much the perfect card for that. There are some games where it doesn't -- Witcher 3 on Ultra will need to be dropped down to high.

An eGPU solution is not necessary now, but may be more viable in the future. The reason why I say this is that a 1080 in an eGPU over TB3 seems to perform marginally better than an internal 1060 anyway.

7. scrod

Reputations:
    My understanding is that TB3 bandwidth increases with framerates much more than resolution. So it is likely that the biggest benefit of eGPU with 1070/1080 would be when using an external QHD or UHD monitor. If you already have 1060 with internal FHD monitor, a 1070 driving an external FHD monitor isn't going to gain you much for your money, if anything at all.

The bigger benefit of eGPU is that you could go with a cheaper ultrabook like a Razer Blade Stealth, HP Spectre x360 or Dell XPS 13 9365 that has no dedicated GPU but does have full TB3.

atacool3 and CedricFP like this.
  8. HermannnTheGerman

HermannnTheGerman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I completely agree. I also hoped that touchpad technology would have improved on Windows to provide a "Mac-like" experience. However, my first hands-on experience was rather disappointing.

I think "hardwareswise", the touchpad in the Aero 15 is a precise and high-resolution touchpad that can handle up to five fingers.

However, it definitely lacks on the "softwareside": It's not recognized by Windows as a precision touchpad. Controlling the pointer feels sluggish and sometimes erroneous. Click and drag using two fingers is not always recognized. The configuration tool looks outdated (it's the same as on my 5 year old Asus notebook). After several configuration changes, it stopped registering clicks altogether and I had to reset settings to default to get it working again. It's no fun to use :(

In my opinion these flaws are due to the sub-par driver shipped by Gigabyte.

If I use the Lenovo driver, it turns into a flawless and responsive precision touchpad. ;)

zovc and poiuzz like this.
  9. Aerfally

Aerfally Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got the Aero 15 a few days ago. Beautiful machine. Great battery life -- I am getting 6-8 hrs on web browsing, Excel, and watching some videos. Not feather-light but not heavy. Basically a great daily driver with a few setbacks, the biggest of which is...

...The bloody keyboard ghosting issue has NOT been fully solved. There are still many key combos (in my case Excel shortcuts) that do not work properly but work completely fine on my 3-year-old GS60. Pressing 4 keys at the same time almost always causes problems -- either the combo doesn't work or something not-intended happens. So far this is happening, to a large extent, whenever the fn key is pressed. This is pretty important for my work flow.

Bah. Contemplating returning.

10. atacool3

atacool3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Update the software. I read somewhere that Gigabyte released an update that fixes this.