Any point in holding off on the Gigabyte Aero 15?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by zovc, May 25, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You can download Oracle's Virtual Desktop, or VMware's VM Player for free, and find ISO's for Linux distro's on the respective support sites - or use a Windows ISO's, you can do Windows VM's too - and go have fun, that's the power of a VM.

You can have a whole new computer, isolated from the host OS, reaching through to the host hardware for gaming, networking, mouse / display, etc.

It's very easy to set up, but infinitely entertaining and instructive.

I hope you have enough memory in your current computer(s) to run what you have been running plus 1 or 2 VM's ;)

You'll want to go into the BIOS and verify you have all of the VM support options enabled - they enable the Vx? CPU options.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  2. atacool3

atacool3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Lol the gaming apparently isnt a good idea. How do u use VM for mouse/display? And how do u personally improve ur pc experience with it.

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The VM guest / host tools installed with the VM software handles the sharing of hardware - VxD options in the CPU help facilitate this as well.

It's as seemless as you like. I prefer the full desktop, and switch between them, but you can also have windows from both (or more) OS's sharing the same desktop, so you can click between them.

There are folder / disk sharing options - share a whole drive, or just a folder tree in both directions. You can also use network volumes to share between VM's.

You can set up a whole subnet with multiple VM's at the same time to simulate a full front to back service.

After a while it becomes seamless, downloading in one OS, building in another, editing configurations for the image management in another.

All while posting forum questions in another ;)

And, there is enough hardware configuration flexibility to have a Linux host (what your computer boots into) that free's up the GPU to a Windows Guest (the VM OS) that lets you play games at full native speed!! It's a bit of work, a little twitchy when it comes to updates - you often need to re-set it up after host / guest OS updates, but it can be done if you are "dedicated" to not running Windows as your primary OS.

atacool3 likes this.
  4. TyroG

TyroG Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I think the new Aorus X5 MD is the definetly the best 15 inch laptop you can get for performance/size/weight & battery; still dislike a bit the design of it but it looks like it can be my next laptop, what do you think of it ?

5. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/gigabyte-may...-graphics-enclosure-practical-and-affordable/
    Personally, I'm not fond of the bird logo on the back or touchpad, but that's personal preference. The back one is easy enough to cover or skin. A GTX1080 with G-Sync is very impressive in something this size and necessary for UHD, even if it doesn't quite perform as well as a full clock/voltage 1080. Otherwise, if you don't mind the size and weight, it's a killer spec for occasional portability.

If you're OK with FHD at the 15" screen size, I still like the smaller footprint and weight of the Aero 15. A 1060 is plenty to drive FHD on ultra for most games, and high on the rest. Plus you get the small bezel display and just a generic logo on the back.

If you have a nice desktop display already, here's a new eGPU rig with a desktop 1070: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11497/aorus-announces-the-gtx-1070-gaming-box-egfx-adapter . Pair that with an ultrabook that has full TB3 and you have a pretty nice gaming setup that is also very portable if you carry your notebook around frequently. Plus, a desktop TDP 1070 might be pretty close to a Max-Q'd mobile TDP 1080 in performance. Perhaps even better?

TyroG likes this.
  6. cdoublejj

cdoublejj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How many homes has the new 160watt 1080N burned down?

atacool3 likes this.
  7. TyroG

TyroG Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @scrod Yes the logo is awful on the touchpad :( Anyway about eGPU, I wonder if a GTX 1080 MaxQ is better than an eGPU + 1080TI in term of performance any thought?

8. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, it is not.

In terms of benchmarks, a desktop TDP GTX1080 in an eGPU box will outperform a mobile mobile TDP 1080 without any doubt, and even more vs. a mobile 1080 slowed by Max-Q. Plus, you could likely overclock the one in the eGPU. A desktop 1080 Ti in an eGPU box would destroy any mobile 1080. The caveat is that you do lose a little bit of performance by going through TB3, and depending if you are using the eGPU to drive an external monitor (better) or sending it back to drive the notebook display.

Like I mentioned before, it's quite possible that an overclocked desktop TDP 1070 in an eGPU box could even outperform a mobile TDP 1080 slowed by Max-Q, depending on how much Max-Q slows the mobile version down to optimize to the notebook's cooling system. My guess is that in terms of gaming framerates, all these options will be pretty good;-) One other bonus of the eGPU is that even if you use the notebook's internal monitor, the notebook's GPU is disabled so it will run cooler.

Here's a great site with experts and implementation reports: https://egpu.io/

TyroG likes this.
  9. TyroG

TyroG Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  10. jefflackey

jefflackey Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have to wonder what kind of battery life that beast will have. With that much power, overclocked, etc. it can't have the 7-10 hour battery life of the Dell or Aero 15 (with a non touch 1080p screen.)