Any point in holding off on the Gigabyte Aero 15?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by zovc, May 25, 2017.

1. zovc

zovc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey!

A while back I made a thread here asking about which laptop I should get. After all the counsel, I went back to my drawing board and decided that the Gigabyte Aero 15 is probably the best fit. It lacks a touchscreen, but its battery life (or really, battery size) blows similarly positioned laptops out of the water and it rocks a GTX 1060.

I'm not a fan of the design and branding, but it's definitely a cut above most laptops that are paired with a 1060, the MSI GS63VR being my favorite aesthetically, or really, the HIDEvolution (unbranded) Evoc GS63VR is where my heart is. Alas, after talking with XoticPC, I could get a paint job or a wrap that would cover most of my grievances with the Aero 15 and I think the Aero 15 is ultimately the best laptop (for me) on the market.

Basically, my question is: "Within about a month, can I expect any competitors to the Aero 15 to emerge?"

I'm about to move in with some friends and it's a bit of a long story, but one of my two computers will be turning into a pfSense router and my other computer will be serving as our living room PC. So, until I can build a new system or two, I'll be without a desktop and that's no good. I'm kind of waiting to see how some desktop hardware pans out (ITX AM4 boards, possibly Ryzen APUs) before finishing building my new desktop, and I'm still figuring out how to tackle a couple of other system ideas around the house.

Eventually, I'll need a laptop with the power/portability of the Gigabyte Aero 15, as I plan on travelling outside of the country and would like to bring games with me, so I'm thinking it's smart to just get it now and tide myself over while waiting for my home systems to materialize. How likely is it that a system that puts the Aero 15 to shame comes out within a few months? I just read that Asus ROG just teased that they'll reveal a Ryzen laptop at Computex, and mobile Ryzen does sound pretty interesting. (But that many cores on mobile is probably overkill?)

If I'm going to get some use out of the Aero 15 right now and I know I'll need something like it towards the end of the year, is there any point in holding off on it?

hmscott likes this.
  2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I believe both Asus and Acer are making new thin and light machines for that market segment and are due sometime in Q3 this year.

zovc likes this.
  3. atacool3

atacool3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you happen to know any specifics as to what these laptops may have? Or a more specific release date other than 'Q3'? Thanks.

4. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Acer are working on a 1060 and a TDP-crippled 1080 machine (the one from the RBP). Asus are working on a 1050 Ti and a 1080 machine.

As for dates - absolutely no idea. Probably by the end of the summer.

atacool3 likes this.
  5. Buffle

Buffle Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Computex is around the corner. Alot of interesting news etc will be revealed by then. If you can hold off for one week or two you would have pretty good visibility into the nearest future. (I.e. exactly how powerful will the ryzen laptops be with igpu? will it be 1050ti level?)

Also Laptop designs are about 1 year old with a 6 month old kaby lake refresh. Could be some updated designs are released. For example MSI usually reveals alot around computex.

zovc likes this.
  6. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    What's your budget?

The Aorus X5 V7 looks pretty dang promising. The specs are literally everything you could want.

7820hk, 1070, .9" thick, same good keyboard, good build, 4K GSync, SABRE DAC, 4 ram slots, 4 storage slots.

Like sole downside is it's soldered and probably not cheap. More subtle back too I like.

No 1080p 120Hz though so far.

7. zovc

zovc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Theoretically, I don't have one. But I'd have a hard time justifying something more expensive than the Aero 15. The Aorus sounds super powerful, but I have a hard time imagining that its battery life would hold a candle to something more modest like the Aero 15, which is a consideration for when I'm travelling.

8. laserbullet

laserbullet Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm in a similar situation and have been looking around extensively. After much help from other users here, and coming to an understanding about various current technologies like eGPUs, ports, and CPU/GPU performance and life cycles, if I were to buy today, it would be the Aero 15. I would consider the X5 v7, depending on just how much battery life you trade for that 1070. I didn't find anything else on the horizon that caught my eye. In terms of overall technology, the current generation of mobile Nvidia GPUs and Intel CPUs have been around for less than a year each, so I wouldn't count on anything new in terms of technology in the immediate future.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  9. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Since Computex is only a week away, and you don't seem all that satisfied with the idea of buying the Aero 15, why not just wait and see if anything pops up? That's what I'd do in your situation.

Starlight5 likes this.
  10. Senthil Sadasivam

Senthil Sadasivam Newbie

Reputations:
    I purchased the aero 15 due to it's battery capacity. Unfortunately am getting only 3 hrs of battery life with 60% brightness and almost everything else switched off. I guess you can wait and check on other laptop options.

huntnyc and zovc like this.