Any pictures of the GTX 260M / 280M ???

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by JDELUNA, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDELUNA

JDELUNA Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can anyone please post how the GTX 260M or 280M looks like. I would like to see if my current heatsink in my laptop will work with it or if it will need to be modified. I currently have a 8800M GTX. I was looking at a picture of a Quadra FX 3700M and it looks pretty much like my 8800M GTX so I was thinking of getting that instead. Thanks for any info or pictures. God Bless :)

2. Beatsiz

Beatsiz Life Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So your plan is to just swap out your GPU?

xD AHAHAHAHAH
    You made my day man!
    :D
    :p

What laptop do you have btw? If its a Clevo then yeah... I understand

3. ahl395

ahl395 Ahlball

Reputations:
    Yeah, you cant change your Laptops GPU, unless it has that special capability (which is a select few).

But if you want to see it... THIS is probably it.

4. whizzo

whizzo Advocatus Diaboli

Reputations:
    he's got an m15x, IIRC. so quit hatin' on a player. regarding the OP's question, our heatsink probably won't fit, since both GTX 260M and 280M have 1GB of VRAM - this means they have four banks of memory on-die, as opposed to the two rows our current GPUs have. i've taken a look at my spare m15x heatsink, and there is no "extra room" for cooling two additional memory banks.

EDIT: just saw ahl's pic - if it's indeed the 260M, it'll totally work with the current m15x heatsink.

5. Ayle

Ayle Trailblazer

Reputations:
    It would be nice if people would check what model the OPs of this kind of thread have before starting to say that they are fools and that laptop gpus cannot be changed...

6. ahl395

ahl395 Ahlball

Reputations:
    I didnt say or imply he was a fool.
    If it sounded like that, im sorry. Didnt mean that way. :eek:

I just said that it probably cannot be changed, unless you have a laptop that has the special capability of it.

The person above me may have, but I didnt mean it like that. :eek:

...Well, if Nvidia uses the actual GPU in the ad for it, which they probably do... Then, you're right. :p

7. JDELUNA

JDELUNA Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok did some searching around the internet to see if I can find some pictures of some of the Nvidia mobile GPU's to see the placement of the memory chips, etc. All of this is to estimate if the current Nvidia 8800M GTX heatsink in my Alienware M15X may be able to fit or work with the newer GPU's that are out. If you look closely it looks like it may be possible to use any of these. The placement of the 2 big square chips at the top seem to be similar in size and thickness. All of this is speculation on my part and we will never know until someone actually tries to upgrade their M15X with any of these. Let me know what you all think. God Bless :)

[​IMG]
    Nvidia GTX 260M / 280M

[​IMG]
    Nvidia 8800M GTX

[​IMG]
    Nvidia 9800M GTX

[​IMG]
    Quadra FX 3700M

[​IMG]
    Quadra FX 3600M

8. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    If the heatsink is designed to cover 512MB, you'll have major problems with a 1GB card.

Edit: M860TU heatsink differences.

9800M GT:
    [​IMG]

GTX 260M:
    [​IMG]

Look how much more room is given for the memory chips. Check your heatsink before you get too excited.

9. H-Emmanuel

H-Emmanuel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You've inverted the GTX260 and 9800m GT heatsink pictures.

10. motok

motok Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm sure it'll fit its just a matter of if it will boot up. Heck he has a better chance then I do if i tried it on my asus lol damn reverse mxm bullcrap