Any one else excited about Toyota/Scion FT86/FR-S?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Pai, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    STI-Badged Subaru BRZ Spotted Testing at the Nurburgring - WOT on Motor Trend

[​IMG]

2. davidricardo86

davidricardo86 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So the STI BRZ is coming? Will there be a high-performance Scion version?

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk

3. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's all speculations and rumor at this point. If Subaru does offer a turbocharged BRZ, it will probably be using the FB20T engine that is destined for the 2014 WRX, albeit either detuned or with a smaller turbo so it doesn't accidentally dethrone the WRX. Car and Driver reported TRD is looking into offering a supercharger as an option for the FRS as well, so we'll see how that goes.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/toyota...o-supercharger-for-scion-fr-s-2012-sema-show/

4. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I don't see how it would dethrone the WRX, it's a completely different car (AWD "sporty" sedan vs RWD sports coupe).

5. unixfool

unixfool Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure that Subaru does not want the BRZ cutting into WRX sales, no matter if it's a different platform.

6. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Well sure, but the only thing the BRZ and WRX have in common in their entry level price. A STI version would drive it to nearly 30k which is over WRX price.

7. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The issue with a more powerful BRZ in Subaru's line up is that regardless of whether or not it's a different car, the typical performance oriented buyer would look at both cars side by side and discover other than the all wheel drive, the WRX really doesn't have much advantage over a BRZ that comes close to its power output. If Subaru does release a turbocharged BRZ and if I had the option to leave the dealership with a 2014 WRX or BRZ STi, I would likely leave with the BRZ even if it does cost slightly more than the WRX. Toyota does not have this problem because nothing else in Toyota or Scion's current lineup offers what the FR-S brings to the table. I currently have a 2012 WRX, but after an opportunity to test drive a BRZ, the WRX and STi feels like a bus and a tank respectively. Needless to say, I'm smitten by it.

It may differ for different regions, but the prices on the WRXs here varies quite a bit pending on options, anywhere from $28k to 32k. The BRZ is still very highly sought after here, and dealers are still able to get them out of the door within days for $29k. People are more than willing to pay over MSRP for these things.

8. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Meh that maybe for "uninformed" people. Like I said the only thing a WRX and a base BRZ have in common is the price tag. One could say well I could get a 265 HP AWD sedan for ~25k or a 200 HP RWD coupe for 25 grand. It's really 2 different class of cars. I've been seeing more BRZ's around the DC Metro area, I personally have 2 friends who bought one recently and they love it, one traded from an old bug eye WRX hatchback. The FRS is stealing sales away from the tC, I'm surprised Scion is still selling the tC as just a few thousand more (as most young people are financing anyway) you can get a highly sought after RWD coupe vs FWD coupe (tC = Camry coupe lol).

9. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, the view point presented is coming from an automotive enthusiast standpoint, not someone sold solely by what's on the specifications sheet. As impressive as the WRX and its bigger brother may be in terms of performance, it's still based off an $18,000 economy sedan that did not have performance as its top design priority, and it shows. Your typical WRX buyers are those in the twenties and thirties that want the fastest car for the least amount of money invested. Other than getting from A to B much faster than 99% of the cars available at its price range, the WRX offers nil in terms of refinement, pedigree and curb appeal that the BRZ possesses. If not for the FIA homologation rules, I doubt the WRX and even the Evolution would've made it into the consumer market in the first place.

I can confidently tell you right off the bat from a close friend who is a manager at a Subaru dealers, he's been told by customers that the reason why they pick the BRZ over the WRX after test driving both is because the BRZ looks and feels better on the road.

10. unixfool

unixfool Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I never said anything about their commonalities, though. I'm talking purely from a price standpoint.