Any one else excited about Toyota/Scion FT86/FR-S?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Pai, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shobster

Shobster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You had an S2000? I heard that was a hoot to drive next to the miata. What do you drive now?

2. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    not sure if "a hoot" is a good, or bad thing, but the S2K was one of the most fun cars i've ever driven. the car handled like a go kart. i always enjoyed droppin the top once in a blue moon to show off the all red interior. mine had comptech adjustable springs, sways, wheels/tires, and a few other goodies.

i just have a Lexus GS right now. trying to save up for the Audi A7 though. :D

3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I've driven my friend's stock S2000 at Autocross events, it's fun and hard (S2000 is not an easy car to master) but when you do, it is awesome, it is a "driver's" car. If Nissan rereleases the Silvia, I'll have a hard time convincing myself to do my V8 swap..

4. houstoned

Reputations:
    the car, chassis, and transmission in the S2K were masterfully engineered. the car was so easy to toss around and u were still able to control it in whatever fashion u wanted. i think the biggest hurdle would be the engine. it's a small, high revving engine, so it didn't really make any power below 5.5k RPM. u had to be conscious of the car's power band at all times while throwing it around the corners.

if Nissan came out with a new Silvia that had an updated SR...u wouldn't need to do a V8 swap. :p

5. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Well I don't think the issue was the engine, it's your typical Honda motor, rev happy and sounds like an angry weasel. Of course you have to be high RPM's for any Honda car to make any kind of acceleration. I found cornering rather tricky, it's not a long wheelbase car like my 240SX, easy to spin out if you aren't awake.

Eh I doubt Nissan would do a 2.0L turbo again, maybe their current 2.5L inline 4, cause that's basically what the KA24DE transformed into. I think they should do what Japan did with the Silvia, base N/A motor ~160ish horsepower, and a turbo motor, ~225-250 hp, make base Silvia like 22k and like ~27k for turbo model.

6. houstoned

Reputations:
    u're not saying a 240SX handles better than a S2000, right?

(please say no...)

7. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    lol no, I'm saying the 240SX is easier to handle due to the longer wheelbase. S2000 is faster than the old NSX-R, goes to show much chassis and suspension development have come. In fact I believe BMI tested a 350Z with a RB26DETT swap and it handled better and with newer sport tires, sports more grip than older chassis with racing slicks. Adunno which S2000 you had, but my friend's AP1 felt too raw in the corners, of course I hadn't driven it alot but I felt honestly scared to drive it, and any short wheelbase convertible, like my friend's '93 1.8L Miata.

8. davidricardo86

davidricardo86 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Car talk @ notebookreview?! Waaa? :D I'm definitely excited about Toyota/Subaru's rwd sport car. I just wish I had the funds to purchase one.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk

9. houstoned

Reputations:
    i had an AP1. gotta love v-tec screaming at 9,000 RPM's. :D

AP2's were a bit easier to drive because they revised the engine for a better torque curve, and dropped the redline down to around 8k.

i guess i can see what u're saying with the wheelbase differences. the low center of gravity, weight distribution, low curb weight, and tuned suspension really balance out the S2k's shorter wheelbase. geez...all this reminiscing...u kind of made me miss my S2000 lol.

10. unixfool

unixfool Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just read this:

2013 Subaru BRZ - Four Seasons Update - August 2012

Man, I haven't been to autocross in awhile and just reading it got my blood roiling...Sounds like that guy had some fun! In a BRZ at that! Would've been nice if they'd supplied some video footage (in-car as well as external footage).