Any one else excited about Toyota/Scion FT86/FR-S?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Pai, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    No you wouldn't. The current M is a lousy car to drive. The G37 is better in every way except for raw power and a few interior trim bits.

2. unixfool

unixfool Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm still trying to determine how that's considered stereotypical...and I guess if you think that, you're the one that's stereotyping. No one mentioned genres/types of cars.

3. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I didn't make the stereotypes, I just point it out when I see one. I was saying I would not be interested in the car unless it was like the Supra. Because I think power is a big part of fun, handling alone isn't enough for me.

4. unixfool

unixfool Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, you pointed erroneously.

That's not even a stereotype. A stereotype is a generalization. An example of a stereotype: all blondes have no brains. That's certainly not the case, but yet some people believe it. But a light car that has an excellent power-to-weight ratio that was purposely built for spirited driving is usually proven to be a desirable track car...that's been proven time and again in the racing world. That's not a stereotype.

There are a huge number of professional circuit racers that started their careers by first competing in kart racing. The idea is to learn the basics of getting around a course as fast as possible without depending on gobs of power. If you know the course and can squeeze out an extra few tenths from a car that doesn't really have a lot of power, improving on every lap against other cars and drives with similar setups, you're learning the car, the track, and racing dynamics to get every edge you can, to win. Vehicles that are light and balanced tend to be more manageable and better teachers of racing. Most pro motorcycle racers have extensive experience in racing lower displacement bikes first. Now, if your thing is power...that's all good, but no one made any stereotypes of generalizations against cars that have muscle. The thread is about the FT86/FR-S and BRZ. While many people have bias to this or that type of car, the conversation was pretty civil up until you accused someone of stereotyping when the capabilities of light and tossable cars are pretty much basic and very common knowledge. You don't need power to go fast...fast is relative. There's also more to life that extreme power or speed.

To equate a BRZ/FR-S to a Supra or Supra-like car is comparing big round apples to triangular little oranges. They're both fruit but can't be any more different in taste, shape, texture, and smell. So, you prefer something at the Supra level...OK, but what does that have to do with the Subayota's capabilities with other cars in it's class?

5. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    some of u guys are also forgetting one very (main) important aspect of the car. that is this Subyota is a BUDGET RWD entry-level sports car. huge emphasis on budget just like the original AE86.

that gibberish has been in the pipeline for many a moons. i'll believe it when i see it.

6. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Well it's funny, when people hear Toyota Corolla these days, they think of a cheap, compact economy car, but 80's it was their entry level sports car..

Well they had that hybrid RWD sports coupe, but apparently Toyota was considering making a full blown Supra like sports car again, at least that's what my Supra enthusiast friends say.

7. houstoned

Reputations:
    yeah, there have been talks for a while now. i really hope they do a revival because the MKIV Supra is one of my all time favorite cars. i just wish Honda would get it's act together and do something good. they've been really disappointing for a while now...it's.......disappointing.

the NSX concept from Iron Man looks decent, but doesn't have that timeless look like the last generation. that is also up there in my all time favorite cars. 2013 will be interesting as far as redesigns. :)

8. Shobster

Shobster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If the Supra is going to be their flagship, they have to aim high. I'm talking 400+ HP Twin-Turbo engine, RWD. That's just my prediction, though.

9. houstoned

Reputations:
    that's not very high lol.

the original 2JZ is still a legendary motor, til this day, for a reason. those blocks and the MKIV's getrag 6-speeds were seeing 800-1000+ wheel HP on a regular basis.

10. Shobster

Shobster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Through tuning yea, but those without the experience should get the best first impression out of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.