Any one else excited about Toyota/Scion FT86/FR-S?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Pai, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I briefly test drove a '13 Genesis Coupe 2.0T and an FR-S back-to-back. The Hyundai has improved in every way over its predecessor (ride, steering feel, handling, interior design/materials) except one - the styling. The company took one of the best-looking cars on the road and smacked it in the face with a frying pan. I wouldn't buy one because of that.

The FR-S was a big meh. Above 3000 rpm, it's absolutely gutless. I suppose it's going to be one for the tuner crowd, but I wouldn't want it as a daily driver. It does handle well, though. I'd say it's a lot like the Mazda RX-8 - no power but pretty fun to toss around once it's up to speed.

2. unixfool

unixfool Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Compared to the Genesis, yeah, it's going to feel gutless. Motor Trend didn't rate the Genesis well in a group of six performance coupes, though. I don't think the focus of the FR-S has anything do do with how much power it makes at whatever rpm. I think it has more to do with how the car uses the power it has while still inspiring confidence in the driver. If that means the engine has to be peaky in comparison to a turbocharged car, then it is what it is. There aren't many cars at the Miata level (similar size, dimensions, weight) that are upwards of 275 hp...none, in fact. That much power isn't really need to give the driver confidence and fun. I think the reason why the Genesis has that much power is because it's a LOT heavier and it's dimensions are a LOT bigger.

Did anyone else see the July edition of Motor Trend? They did an article called $28K: Bang for your buck. They track tested the FR-S, BRZ, Mustang (V6), Genesis Coupe (I4), Miata, and the VW GTI. The BRZ won top honors and the FR-S was a close second. The Mazda was rated #3, the Mustang #4, the VW #5, and the Genesis #6. The article has a write-up on each car and covers the track sessions, as well as non-track-related items.

Note that the Genesis ran Willow Springs faster than the BRZ and FR-S:

Genesis: 1:29.12
    FR-S: 1:31.15
    BRZ: 1:30:32

The tester stated that the Genesis has quite a bit of turbo lag below 2000 rpm, then when it comes on-boost, it's not a smooth power transition. Steering was numb and non-linear. They did give high marks for the fat midrange power of the engine, as well as for it being a stable with little body roll.

But nowhere in the article did it stated that the FR-S or BRZ was gutless above 3000 rpm, in comparison to any of those other 4 cars. And the fact that the BRZ and FR-S rated higher than the Genesis in the comparison was more than likely due to the cars being more balanced and fun to drive.

IMO, it is no surprise that the BRZ and FR-S took the top positions. They are modern track cars and while they aren't the most powerful, they offer extreme control on the track, while inspiring confidence. The reason why they selected the BRZ over the FR-S was because they thought the FR-S was a bit too tail-happy:

"Even our pro driver felt that part of his quicker lap time in the BRZ was due to the increased confidence the Subaru's slightly more dialed-in suspension gave him."

"Both on road and track, the FR-S was found to have slightly firmer damping and a little less body roll, traits that gave the Scion a looser rear end than is BRZ cousin's. While the ease of getting the tail of the FR-S to rotate is entertaining in some circumstances, it can be a little disconcerting on a twisty backroad, and even more so on a racetrack."

"deceptively modest 200hp"

"the BRZ is an excellent teacher of rear-drive dynamics"

"it offers a pervasive sense of control, allowing you to place the tires within millimeters of your intended target"

"the BRZ is neutral at it's limit"..."the driver can choose between stability or drift on a whim"

3. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If it does not compare to a Supra then no.

4. unixfool

unixfool Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It was never meant to be a Supra equivalent. If you want such a car, there are plenty out there. Besides that, Supras were mighty expensive before they stopped making them...I think Toyota and Subaru are trying to prevent that from happening again. You don't need to have a lot of horsepower to have fun...that's the point they're trying to make.

5. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Yes they are completely different class of car. Apparently Toyota might remake the Supra again..

6. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, but supposedly with a CVT and a hybrid drivetrain. Yeah i know both have advantages but kinda a bummer nonetheless.

7. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Oh ho ho I'd scrap all of that. 1UZ with rear mount turbo. :p

What I'd like to get middle life is an Infiniti M56 with a 6 speed manual swap.

8. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Now that's more like it. :p

The M56 is so gorgeous, sounds like a great plan haha.

9. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Very stereotypical of a Japanese car manufacturer to make that statement. Guess I'll be sticking with muscle cars.

10. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    It's a philosophy adopted by many European car manufacturers as well. But yeah, if you disagree with that statement, there's likely no way the FT86 will have anything for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.