Any one else excited about Toyota/Scion FT86/FR-S?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Pai, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pai

Pai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have been watching the development of this particular car for a while year now. Recently there have been a huge amount of information leaking out about the car and the more I read the more excited I got! It's a RWD car with low center of gravity, 2+2 coupe, at 200 HP/151 ft-lb. The only thing uncertain is the price and reliability of a Scion. The car is expected to be release next year at June. Here's a link to a leak doc showing the various technical aspects of the car.

New FR-S BRZ Technology Info! Engine specs, CoG, Drag Coefficient, Dimensions, etc. - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota FT-86 Forum | ft86club

So, anyone else waiting for the test drive?

EDIT: Official Spec and Photos:

FR-S Production model High Quality Pictures [Exterior Render, Live Photos, Interior + Engine Bay], and Official Specs.

2. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    My colleague is really excited with the FT-86, he's planning to get one once its released over here. I must admit its one of the nicest cars Toyota had put out for a long time.

I think the real bonus of this car is that its expected launch price is placed well compared to the competition, certainly a lot of car (RWD 200BHP coupe) for the money.

3. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    it's been in development for so long that i've completely lost interest in it.

4. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I see no reason it having a Scion badge would make it less reliable than a Toyota. Subaru makes some good engines, but after rebuilding a couple rotaries, it is a PAIN rebuilding Subaru engines (I will probably never do another one).

I'm waiting for Nissan to release the new Silvias..

Funnily enough, I was looking around for a Hachi Roku...man 8 grand for a GT-S that needs work no thanks.

5. Pai

Pai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I agree, especially if you consider the fact that the car is a RWD; not many RWD cars falls below the 30 grand mark, even at 25 grand, this car would set a standard for sure.

Well, it's going to be released next June, it's a good time to get excite about it again. ;)

But I know your pain, I heard they have been show this car off as a concept car as early as 2008 (or even earlier?) but really only trying to push out a production model this past year or so.

I don't know if it's a material the body is made out off, but the current tCs on the street gives me the feeling that the plating is really weak (looks thin), and will be totaled after one accident or it could be their choice of paint (not colors) which looks really gross and low quality. Also, Scion's got a reputation for targeting the younger crowd, with aggressive pricing, the cost cutting has to come from some where on the car or from the buyer's pocket.

About Subaru, I never owned one or driven one, let alone building one. :eek: However, I heard only the bottom block is provided by Subaru, the head is design by yamaha fit with Toyata's direct injection technology. Subaru is also putting out its own version (with its own engine design) call BRZ, which is rumored to have 300 HP, and comes turboed.

6. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Well that's what Silvia's offered, a RWD sports car for ~22-25 grand. Hopefully Nissan brings it back minus that Altima coupe look..

7. Kaelang

Kaelang Requires more Witcher.

Reputations:
    That torque number looks a tad anemic. :3

8. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Well it being a lightweight RWD coupe, you don't need massive amounts of torque to get into a slide. :p I know, as my 240SX is maybe pulling 150 hp/150 tq and just the right amount of throttle will send me into a slide.

Besides, going off the concept of the old school RWD Corollas, they had even LESS horsepower/torque, but they were uberlight weight with a good suspension setup.

9. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm looking into the Surbaru or the Golf R next year. I've got a 2011 Civic SI, so what this Toyobaru has is a pretty big step up in the torque department. That 12.5:1 compression ratio isn't giving out good vibes for forced induction though.

10. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Is it the pre-face lift or face lifted one? You could always lower the compression ratio, my friend had to do that when he turbo'd his S2000.