Any luck replacing a CF-31 screen?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by EdFromBJCS, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdFromBJCS

EdFromBJCS Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    We’ve run into a weird issue with the CF-31 where the display stops working if the screen cable is disconnected and reconnected. We’re following all the proper procedures; disconnecting the AC adapter and removing the battery, removing the hard drive, holding the power switch to make sure there’s no power running through the laptop, making sure we’re static free, handling all the internals with great care and surgical precision. All that stuff, yet the problem is consistent. We ran into the issue when doing a screen replacement, but we’ve also duplicated the issue with working screens just by disconnecting and reconnecting them. Depending on which part is failing, this could be getting really expensive really fast. Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone have a solution?

2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    I have not experienced that.
    Other than getting one in that the previous owner replaced the lcd cable and inserted it backwards. LCD end...Shorted things out. Blown fuses....Sad as it was a 100 hour machine..I ended up getting it and reworked a mk2 board to fit in the housing. Blew out motherboard and lcd panel.

Mk1 and mk2 are not direct swappable.

Are these standard models or ATI graphics models?
    What mk are they?

It is VERY easy to insert that LCD cable end in upside down.

3. EdFromBJCS

EdFromBJCS Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I asked our lead tech, Marisa, if there was any chance she inserted the LCD cable upside down. No chance, and I believe her because she spent about 5 minutes explaining her procedure to me.

Got the model numbers of three units this happened on. All are MK2, one has ATI graphics but the others do not.

CF-31JLGAX1M: Win7, Intel Core i5-2540M 2.60GHz, vPro,13.1" XGA Touch, 320GB(7200rpm), 4GB, Intel WiFi a/b/g/n, TPM, Bluetooth, ATI Discrete Graphics, Single Pass (Selectable), No Drive, Toughbook Preferred

CF-31JEGAX1M: Win7, Intel Core i5-2520M 2.50GHz, vPro, 13.1" XGA Touch, 320GB(7200rpm), 4GB, Intel WiFi a/b/g/n, TPM, Bluetooth, Single Pass (Selectable), No Drive, Toughbook Preferred

CF-Q5AAX1M: Win7, Intel Core i3-2310M 2.10GHz, No vPro, 13.1" XGA Touch, 320GB(5400rpm), 2GB, Atheros WiFi b/g/n, No TPM, Bluetooth, Lightweight Battery, Single Pass (Selectable), No Drive, Toughbook Preferred

4. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    The 100 hour unit was a $1000 mistake to me,that hurt. The new cable was not labeled and I had a 50/50 chance, the dealer got blackjack and I got 23. :(:oops::D

So are the units dead after that or just the screens?

5. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    Have you tried connecting to a second display?

I'm seeing some multiplexer issues...or something. Undefined as yet.

Trying to use Linux to diagnose.
    Code:
    xev
    dmesg and etc.

I realize this is difficult if the screen is dead.

6. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    I thought I had changed the names to protect the innocent..

safn1949 likes this.
  7. safn1949

Reputations:
    Guilty as charged......ouch

8. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    Are those LCD are brand new one or a used one. I've changed and swapping the lcd so many times but it never happen to me. On the LCD pcb part near the connector. Follow the circuit power line, check the fuse and may be blown out.

ohlip

SHEEPMAN! and Shawn like this.
  9. safn1949

Reputations:
    That's what I'm thinking.

10. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    "but we’ve also duplicated the issue with working screens just by disconnecting and reconnecting them"

not clear on if you are replicating the problem with the same unit but with different screens ... or ...
    different units with the same screen .

also ...
    are the screens toast after the replacement attempt or does cycling the machine correct the problem ?

the cmos line drive buffers (say , enable and dim ... etc .) are awful fussy if they are floating .
    even the B+ lines that are cmos driven (aka : switched on) can be popped if there is no termination/load on them ...
    in some cases , these devices are problematic because they are not protected at the source driver but rather depend on a protection device (say a resistor to ground or clamping diodes) at the device being driven (not a great design) .

i have a couple of other ideas but will wait for the answers to my question(s) .
    (one involves the integrity of the cables)

Last edited: May 3, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.