Any indication as to when the MSI GT75VR Titan will be showing up?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Enkeixpress, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Enkeixpress

Enkeixpress Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I'm interested in the MSI GT73VR Titan Pro with the i7 7820HK & GeForce GTX 1080, but just recently I've noticed that MSI have revealed the new GT75VR Titan, which has quite a number of drastic improvements to it over its predecessor, the GT73VR such as New Cooler Boost 5, 3ms 120Hz Screen, Keyboard, Giant Speakers, Per-Key RGB Gaming Keyboard, and more.

https://www.msi.com/news/detail/l-u...W15OsPmQDgtMHxTydwXXvababzsn5wtgywXw0CE0aYw~~

So of course naturally I'm more interested in this new model now over the GT73VR Pro as MSI will have no doubt made numerous improvements to it to make it an all-around better performing machine.

I've done a bit of searching on Google and elsewhere, and I can't seem to find out anything about the release date for this new model so I thought I'd ask here on whenabouts I can go about purchasing the new GT75VR Titan.

Hopefully it will be available to purchase in the next couple of weeks, rather than months. Otherwise I think I would have to settle for the GT73VR Titan Pro, as its really just the super powerful i7 7820HK processor and the GTX 1080 GPU that I'm interested in. Everything else like the new Cooler Boost 5 and the Per-Key RGB keyboard are just little extra bonuses.

Thanks for any answers.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There aren't any drastic improvements, except the fully mechanical keyboard (the GT80 Titan had one too but not sure if that was RGB). The GT73 does have per key lighting already, but the cherry MX RGB keyboard is obviously going to be much nicer, with much better RGB as well. The 3ms screen STILL has no ULMB, like desktop gsync monitors have, so that's not a deal breaker. The 5ms TN screen still has excellent image quality (better color reproduction than my Benq XL2720Z, although obviously the ghosting is worse), and the other improvements are really all minor.

The biggest improvement is going to be the Cherry mechanical keyboard. Keep in mind that's going to add to the weight. This is not going to be lighter than a GT73.

Phoenix likes this.
  3. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Yeah I was interested in it at first, but since the specs are identical, same CPU, same storage slots capacity, same GPU, slight bump in memory support up to 2666 MHz. It's not worth it. I'll just wait till they release something which makes it feel like a real upgrade.

If one didn't have a GT73VR Titan Pro though and was in the market for a new laptop, then yeah, it makes sense to wait.

It should probably be available within 45 days, just a guess.

Midas Touch and DukeCLR like this.
  4. Enkeixpress

Reputations:
    Going by what you've said here, I think I'd probably be better off settling with the GT73VR then. If the new GT75VR had a new more powerful GPU, rather than the GTX 1080, then I would consider saving up more for the GT75VR but as it stands right now, I'd most likely be saving myself a ton of cash going with the GT73VR. It's really just the GTX 1080 that interests me the most, it's a huge performance bump up from the GTX 980M that I had in my GT72S which I've sold recently, the 980M is still powerful in its own right, but the GTX 1080 clearly runs circles around that mobile GPU judging from some high-quality gameplay of the latest titles like Battlefield 1 that I've seen on YouTube. Reaching frame-rates of just over 110 FPS in some cases.

See 110+ FPS gameplay of Battlefield 1 running on i7 7820HK & GTX 1080 here:

I've been comparing the performance differences between the Intel Core i7 7820HK and 7700HQ, and I've found that there's really not much of a performance related difference between the two of these processors during gaming other than the 7820HK having the capability of overclocking itself to 4 GHz, which would probably be useful to have in the future. But the price differences between two machines having each processor is an considerable amount. There's a huge saving if one to to purchase a GT73VR system with the slightly unpowered i7 7700HQ, as the GTX 1080 is the real star of the show.

If you take a look at this gameplay below of Battlefield 1 running on a MSI GT73VR equipped with i7 7700HQ & GTX 1080, you can see that the frame rate is rock-solid.

So according to the research I've done, having the i7 7820HK in a GT73VR system only gives higher thermals and slightly more performance through overclocking, but not enough to actually allow the user see any difference in on-screen real-time gaming performance. Not sure if overclocking any hardware in a laptop is a good idea to be honest neither.

The one thing that bothered me most about the GT72S is the light-bleed on all four corners of the screen, I was told by MSI that it's normal, and it can really only be seen during pitch-black dark scenes in movies and games. I'm hoping that the GT73VR doesn't have this small issue or at least not have so much light-bleed. The 5ms 120HZ TN panel, along with G-Sync interests me greatly.

The Cherry mechanical keyboard, while being unique and useful, doesn't interest me as much as it may to others as the one on the GT72S more than satisfied my every-day gaming needs.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    DukeCLR likes this.
  5. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    The 7700HQ will bottleneck a 1080. That's not a good CPU to pair with it. The 7700HQ is locked to 3.4 ghz on all cores and will throttle below 3.4 ghz if load exceeds 45W (and in BF1, it will). This throttling cannot be removed (increasing ICCMax does nothing). The only way to prevent it is to undervolt (-100mv to -150mv).

The 7820HK can not only overclock (some can reach 4.5 ghz on all cores), but you can also remove the 45W TDP restriction.

You should not be choosing between the 7700HQ (bad CPU to pair with 1080) vs the 7820HK. If you're trying to save money, you should be looking at the 6820HK last year's model vs 7820HK.

7700HQ is ok for the GTX 1070, but not the 1080.

6. Enkeixpress

Reputations:
    Thanks for the informative answer. I shall be saving up for the MSI GT73VR with the i7 7820HK & GTX 1080 then it seems.

DukeCLR likes this.
  7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If money is a concern, take a look on the second-hand market for a Skylake-equipped GT73. I got one with the 6820HK CPU, GTX 1080, 32 GB of RAM, 512 GB NVMe SSD, 120 Hz display, official MSI Gaming Series backpack (which is a freaking awesome piece of kit, BTW), and nearly 18 months of warranty remaining for less than 2/3 the price of a comparable new model with a Kaby Lake CPU. The seller was able to provide a copy of the original invoice, which allowed me to contact MSI to have them remove his information from the registration, allowing me to take over ownership.

I will say the build quality on the MSI is not as good as my previous Clevo laptop. It also runs hotter and louder under load. The last points could probably be corrected with a re-paste (that I would have someone else do because I am not comfortable doing it myself), but it's not something that's high on my priority list. Right now, it handles everything I've thrown at it with ease.

DukeCLR likes this.
  8. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    You can also go for the GT73VR with the 1070 instead of the 1080. That can save you like $500, but if you can get the full 1080 it's worth it.

DukeCLR likes this.
  9. Enkeixpress

Reputations:
    I'd much rather have the MSI GT73VR with top-specs so as to somewhat be future-proof and be able to play the upcoming latest titles at the highest graphics settings, and with very high frame rates. I was completely sold when I saw gameplay of Battlefield 1 on YouTube running at 1080p, 100+ FPS with ultra graphics quality settings on the GT73VR with i7 7820HK and GTX 1080. It's really impressive stuff to see and the desktop replacement seems to be future-proof for the next couple of years. Maybe even more-so.

If the GT75VR comes out within the next couple of weeks, I'll probably end up purchasing that new model instead as I do very much like the new keyboard layout just below the arrow keys, which provides support to the wrist so as to prevent wrist strain, plus the mechanical keyboard will also provide more comfort during gaming. The screen on the GT75VR is also 3 ms, not too much different from the 5 ms panel on the GT73VR, but any improvement at all is nice.

Like yourself or another user said in a previous post, if one doesn't own a GT73VR already then he'd be in a better position to patiently wait for this new GT75VR model to release. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks as I still have quite a bit of working and saving to do, but with dedication and patience, I'll eventually get there, and claim my much-deserved prize.

hmscott likes this.
  10. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I hope Amazon will get some GT75VR 7RF

[​IMG]