Any idea why videos "skip" when played on my laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by 1shado1, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1shado1

1shado1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    2 year old Tosh (see sig). Been a problem from day 1. Dual core cpu, 4 GB RAM. Set to "performance" mode. Not multitasking. Even though it isn't exactly a Kray, shouldn't be a problem, right? But any video file stored on my laptop's HDD skips every once in awhile when played, and more often during action type scenes. The problem persists even though the HDD has been swapped out for a new one (needed more storage space). I added a second HDD in my optical drive bay a couple months ago (many thanks for the guide, nando4!). The very same videos when stored on the secondary drive play flawlessly, and NEVER skip or stutter. Both drives are the exact same model 500GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue. Please keep in mind that this has been a problem since day one, when the original HDD had very little on it.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Just to clarify, the skipping occurs multiple times per minute, not as infrequently as I made it sound ("once in awhile").

2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    Since the issue is from the OS drive there apparently is something hitting the drive. To be sure first though do you have the wait for hardware cache off? If there are intermitent writes and the OS is waiting for the writes this could be an issue.

You may also want to try DPC lateny timer to see if the system is having issues there. If it is be sure you are on AC and high performance mode, my U81-a gets hit every 10 seconds on battery saver with a 2000 ms latency that would be an issue.........

3. 1shado1

Reputations:
    Many thanks for the reply, TANWare! To be honest, I'm fairly computer illiterate. Can you steer me to the things you mentioned? Sorry for the hassle. By the way, always plugged in on ac, and always in performance mode.

EDIT: I have enabled write caching (it WAS off), and the problem has somewhat improved. A certain video (a vob of Terminator 2) that skipped every few seconds during action scenes has only skipped a few times in the last minute. So it isn't perfect yet, but certainly closer. thanks for the help! Now to just get it that last inch...

4. newsposter

newsposter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    hard drive bandwidth, chipset bandwidth, memory bandwidth. look ay any other running applications running (including the OS and anti-virus/malware) that impacts that bandwidth.

5. 1shado1

Reputations:
    Appreciate the suggestions! But you're dealing with a computer luddite here.
    Does remind me of a couple lines from the movie MAD MAX though. "Much damage?" "Metal damage, brain damage; are you listenin' Bronze?":D

6. 1shado1

Reputations:
    Tried DPC Latency Timer. This is what I got (and I'm in WAY over my head):
    [​IMG]

So it says I should disable devices one at a time in Device Manager to see which drivers are acting up. I open Device Manager, and the list is a mile long. Are there any that might be more likely to cause problems than others? Or do I need to go through the entire list? This is DAUNTING!

7. hydra

hydra Breaks Laptops

Reputations:
    Well, until you find what is hitting your C drive, keep your video on the D drive. At least till someone gets lucky and hits on an easy fix for you?

8. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    Try looking at CPU-z and GPU-z while playing through one of these action scenes and see what is happening clock/temperature wise. If the Tosh is the one in your signature, then you have the HD4200, or better, and should have no problem playing movies on it.

EDIT: ok, so this thread is moving fast... ignore that :)

EDIT2: Have you tried updating your video drivers, or audio drivers for that matter? DPC checker doesn't look particularly healthy.

9. 1shado1

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestion.:D I have been doing that. And the ones on my C drive that I want to watch, I simply copy to the D drive, watch, and then delete. It has proven to be a workaround, but not a particularly convenient one, lol.

10. 1shado1

Reputations:
    I go into device manager, and right click a device, and select update driver. It says it is checking online, but always comes back saying the drivers are up to date. Is there a different procedure that would be better?

And yes everybody, I know folks like me shouldn't be allowed to operate PCs. Sigh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.