Any divers here? Just a quick depressurization question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Phistachio, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phistachio

Phistachio A. Scriabin

Reputations:
    So, I love to dive. Amateur diving that is, with no suit, just a diving mask and breathing tube.

My question is that every time I dive 3+ meters, I get a lot of pain. Obvious, because I don't depresseurize. But I have found a way to do that painlessly. I just do the swallowing movement underwater and it's quite a nice feeling, but when I go up, it hurts again, and after emerging the pain stops.

So, my bottom question is : is that kind of manoeuvre risky? Can it pop my eardrums like the closing the nose and breathing manoeuvre?

Thanks for any input!

2. Qing Dao

Qing Dao Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You are talking just about pain in your ears? You need to constantly equalize the pressure inside your ears with the surroundings as you go down and as you come up. If you feel pain, you went too far without equalizing, and it is very difficult to equalize without backing up a little bit. For me it is the most challenging aspect of diving, while for some people it is really easy. Go on google and look up ways to do it better if you are having trouble.

I really can't comment on how risky it is for you, but a couple of times I have had an ear hurt for days because I didn't equalize properly.

Also this has nothing to do with the pressurization and depressurization of your entire body. There is no way you are going to experience "the bends" while diving under your own breath.

You might want to get your scuba diving certification. Doing it right costs a bit (thanks Dad!), but you will learn about everything and be much safer. I recommend to do it right and not pay some fly-by-night people in a third-world country to teach you. Also bringing air down with you is a lot more fun!

3. MGS2392

MGS2392 NAND Cat!

Reputations:
    I like to do the "wiggle your jaw" technique to equalize your ears. For me, it's almost kinda like yawning. The pinch your nose and exhale technique isn't my cup of tea (though it does work).

4. Phistachio

Phistachio A. Scriabin

Reputations:
    Yeah, I find that technique dangerous. Everyone says that it's dangerous...

Haven't tried the wiggle the jaw technique, will try next time I go to the beach!

Yeah, I want to get a certification this summer, but I'm not sure I have the time...

Yup, pain in my ears. I equalize them underwater just fine, but I wasn't sure that I had to re-equalize when going to the surface. But my main "terror" was that my eardrums could pop... And I am a musician, I NEED my ears! :p

I guess I mis-translated myself. I meant ear pressure, not body pressure! :p

5. MGS2392

MGS2392 NAND Cat!

Reputations:
    As far as I know, it's not dangerous. At least, I don't think it is, considering that PADI teaches it as well.

6. Phistachio

Phistachio A. Scriabin

Reputations:
    Perhaps that only applies to underwater? Because I know that if you do that manouvre, if done wrong, you can blow up a vein on your forehead region or pop the eardrums... :eek:

7. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's the technique my doctor taught me as a kid and it does work very well.

8. Qing Dao

Qing Dao Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm not sure what he means by PADI teaching that. They definitely don't teach you to come up quickly without equalizing the pressure in your ears and letting the nitrogen slowly come out of your bloodstream unless there is an emergency. But most often it does not take much effort to equalize the ears as you go up. A lot of times it just does it by itself. But when we dive with air we come up slowly, and you are probably kicking up as fast as you can because you don't have any air.

9. MGS2392

MGS2392 NAND Cat!

Reputations:
    My lack of quoting made that unclear. I meant to say that PADI teaches the wiggle your jaw/yawn motion technique in addition to the pinch nose and exhale technique. Both are acceptable to as far as I know.

10. Qing Dao

Qing Dao Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok, sorry! I was really tired. Now it makes sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.