]]>

Any custom BIOS for HP EliteBook 8760w?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Smerdjakov, Feb 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Smerdjakov

Smerdjakov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Let's be honest here: I love the model, design and overall components of my laptop (removable CPU and GPU, baby ;) ) but I hate its BIOS. This is the most trashy thing I've seen in a long time. Sure, cosmetics are spot on, but functionality is awful. I cannot set BIOS password (at least after 5 hours of digging) and other options are also very limited — usually only miscellaneous options are available: delay after boot screen, some phony proprietary system of "keeping my information safe" straight from HP themselves. There isn't even a section that allows control over battery consumption, let alone voltage regulation... I can expect as much from a company like HP, *especially* when dealing with a workstation. It makes me quite angry when I think of the potential that could be unleashed if only companies weren't so greedy.

I know that there are many amazing BIOS mods out there. One of the most shining examples is @Prema's BIOS mod, but it's made only for Clevos (*sob* :( ). So yeah, if anyone knows a viable alternative for my model, please let me know. Cheers.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    These days OEMs pretty much locks everything and if you flash modded BIOS you will brick it, so do a research if there's a secret key combination like Fn+F1, Ctrl+F1 etc...

Smerdjakov likes this.
  3. Smerdjakov

Smerdjakov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Figuring out how to set a BIOS password isn't the main issue... I just don't like my system crippled and bound to one company even after I buy it, that's all.

KY_BULLET and Vasudev like this.