Any cord cutters here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kojack, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Been doing the Youtube/Netflix/Amazon thing for the better part of a decade by this point. Family had satellite/cable when growing up and seeing the bills for those when I only watched maybe two or three TV series just put me off of ever buying TV service as an adult.

2. CastlBravo

CastlBravo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What service?

We cut TV out of our lives over a decade ago and can't imagine having it. Just garbage.

Moved recently and would like to get internet again maybe. I have always used cable, but dont want to pay $60+ for internet/tv. They ought to offer JUST internet, cut the TV, and lower the price.

3. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    You mean what ISP I use?
    I don’t live in the US, so I don’t think it would be useful to you.

4. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm 3 years+ into cord cutting at this point. I've tried every service out when I was detoxing from "cable" and none of them ticked the boxes for programming.

These days pairing something like Discovery+ (6.99/mo) and Philo ($20/mo) would probably cover most of the programming on cable while cutting the fluff from the lineups. The key to picking the right package of channels is to figure out the root owner of programming you're interested in. If you like a lot of NBC/CBS/ABC/FOX then Hulu is where you should be. If you want pseudo reality shows then Discovery+ covers most of that. If you want well rounded Philo / Sling cover that.

Sports are always a $$$$ grubber due to their contracts they have with providers and typically make up 33-50% of your video bill with traditional providers. If you're interested in only one sport like NHL/NFL then there are options for that these days along with movies like HBO Max / Starz and so on for 8-15/mo.

@CastlBravo if you don't want video you just tell your provider you don't. They can't hold internet hostage w/o video. If they are then find someone else for your IP transport. Starlink is coming out of beta soon and will run $50-$100/mo but you can take it anywhere you want.. While for $100/mo you won't get gigabit speeds you'll be fine for streaming @ 100-200mbps.

Fishon and dmanti like this.