Any cord cutters here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kojack, Dec 30, 2020.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    We have been living the cable package free life and it's great. Our cable bill (minus internet package) was over 130 bucks a month then add on another 30 for landline phones. We had our mobile phone package anyways. So we cut that 160 bucks out of our life and moved to Roku for our TV. We pay for amazon prime, netflix, stack TV, motortrend TV, and River TV. The entire payment for it all is 49.00. I have a bluetooth home phone system so when we are in the house, our phones ring on land line style phones which is great since we can position them around like when we had land line phones.

It's much better having this than cable. The only thing extra I will have to pay for is NHL gamecentre every year for my hockey fix.

I recommend it. Roku has all kinds of programming for every type of person.

2. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I stopped paying for cable about 10 years ago. I found that I only watched 2 or 3 channels (like discovery and history) but had to pay for the whole package. Told them I was gone and would not pay unless they ever offer a per channel package for like 5-10 a month.

We don't miss it at all, the cable shows we do watch are free on disc at the library so we have watched many seasons of a ton of shows for no cost.

We don't have any video subscriptions, but we do have Amazon prime because I have always been a prime member but I rarely ever use the prime video part.

3. dmanti

dmanti Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been really surprised by Pluto TV. It's free through ads but has some interesting dedicated channels like MST3K and RiffTrax.

I really despise Amazon Prime Video or any service that mixes paid & free results in a browse/search.

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Are you in Canada? Pluto TV here has only very limited programming available on it.

5. dmanti

dmanti Newbie

Reputations:
    Ah, I forget about issues like that. :confused:

I'm in the USA.

kojack likes this.
  6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes, it's much easier for US to cut the cord. There are lot of OTA signals from what I understand as well. Here, there are none, so local programming is a no go. We lucked into the CBC putting their feeds on Roku recently and we have our local CBC channel on that. Other than that and the fact that sports is mosting tied to the major leagues' own apps we are doing great with it. Now, we can have our TV system with us wherever we go. Pop a roku and remote in our bag and we have all our tv with us travelling.

7. Nick

Nick Professor Carnista

Reputations:
    My internet provider offers an online TV option for $25 that I Chromecast to the TV. We also mooch my in-laws' YouTube TV account.

8. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Never had cable, don’t even own a TV.
    PC and Internet is enough for me.

9. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am looking at OTA satillite as well. I have 48" dish on my house already from back in my old card programming direct TV days. I am going to motorize it and see what I can pick up. I know that i can get NTV and CTV on sat free which would be great!

10. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

killkenny1 and Nick like this.