Any comment on ZBook 15 G5?

Discussion in 'HP' started by ace111, Aug 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SnakeSK

SnakeSK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you live near Kosice go straight to Gabo and he´ll take care of it for you, he has many parts in stock.

http://www.tichepc.sk/Phobya-thermal-pad-XT-7W-mk-1mm-120x20mm-.html
    http://www.tichepc.sk/Phobya-thermal-pad-XT-7W-mk-0-5mm-120x20mm-.html

Also stop shopping in alza, it´s pretty useless in terms of "specialty hardware".

If you´re gonna go with the LM route, ask Gabo for clear lacquer for protect the rest of the MoBo from shorting if the metal spills somehow (the chip is isolated with black sticker, only the die is visible.

As for the performance of TG, he is using these products daily, he is the only guy in SK I trust in cooling (he builds these machines daily, so he has a pretty good info not only about performance, but also about lifespan of these products, you may wanna ask him about this, since one you apply the lacquer, or some kind of isolation, it´ll be PITA to repaste it in the future, that´s why I went with standard paste, here are the results after 10mins of stress test (the CPU was sitting @ 2.9 GHz whole time, so no throttling), decide for yourself if the LM is necessary
    Screenshot (33).png

2. janosik.kopac

janosik.kopac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No, I am from BA :( Nevermind, another challenge to finish :)

However, Thermal Grizzly seems to be providing some great stuff, so hopefully everything will be fine

Btw on batteries, the Xeon is running at 1.5GHz, being approx the same power as my old thinkpad with 4710MQ and ABSOLUTELY quiet (based on compilation times)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  3. SnakeSK

Reputations:
    When disassembling it, remove the left fan (with battery facing away from you), remove LCD cable, IR sensor cable, and THEN the right fan, and then you can skew the heatsink out without taking apart the whole assembly.

4. janosik.kopac

Reputations:
    Thanks :) If you're in BA, you'll have a couple of beers from me for all the tips and help

5. SnakeSK

Reputations:
    I work there. No problem.

6. Eclipse2016

Eclipse2016 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the tips, Snake. I repasted the 17 G5 with Gelid Extreme and replaced the thermal pads with fujipoly. I got about 10 deg C drop at load and about 3 degree drop at idle. Fans silent. Thanks again!

triturbo likes this.
  7. SnakeSK

Reputations:
    No problem :)

8. janosik.kopac

Reputations:
    Repasting is ready, thanks again SnakeSK!

The improvement is dramatic. On battery, compiling our project (ca. 2500 Java files) does not start the fan at all. On charger, the fan does not go higher that 62% (before repasting, it was on 100% 2 seconds after the compilation started!)

I have used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and Thermal Grizzly minus 8 pads (1pc 120x20x0.5 and 1pc 120x20x1)

Eclipse2016 likes this.
  9. ssupernovae

ssupernovae Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anybody know where I can send my zbook 17 G5 to get repasted? I'm not comfortable doing it myself and don't want to screw up my $6500 computer. And I would like to have it look like it hasn't been touched so I don't void my comprehensive service agreement.

10. SnakeSK

Reputations:
    Repaste won´t help a thing, because the crucial thing that is getting hot is the VRM, and for that you have to replace the stock thermal pads.