Any comment on ZBook 15 G5?

Discussion in 'HP' started by ace111, Aug 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. janosik.kopac

janosik.kopac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    And a last question: have you considered the Studio G5? I like it as it is thin and 0.5kg lighter, though the missing ethernet and smart card reader spoil the game a bit...

2. SnakeSK

SnakeSK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Considered, but I cant stand having no touchpad buttons. :D Tried it several times and no thanks, 15u is an better option (my boss has it)

3. janosik.kopac

Reputations:
    15u is great, but with no storage expansion slot, it is a no-go for me :(

I'll consider the FullHD option, however now I have a Thinkpad T540p (yes, a real oldie, but still running fine - just ran out of guarantee) with a 3K resolution which is great (love running VMs in FullHD resolution still not covering my whole display), so I'd love to try the 4K.

4. janosik.kopac

Reputations:
    SnakeSK, thanks again for the information. My G5 arrives today.

5. Omer N Helton

Omer N Helton Newbie

Reputations:
    HP has released the ZBook 15u G5, the 5th generation of their popular mobile workstation line. Announced back in April of this year, HP describes the 15u G5 as an entry-level, performance-driven workstation that is ideal for professionals on the go, which is pretty much in line with other 15u models we looked at over the past few years (we found that they are generally solid mobile rigs that offer a good bang for their lower price tag). The new 15u is highlighted by an optional 4K, touch display, quad core Intel Core processors and 3D professional graphics, all packed inside a thin mobile workstation.
    Ref: https://dissertationpanda.com/

6. janosik.kopac

Reputations:
    Hi Snake, after a couple of weeks with my G5 I am leanimg towards repasting the machine. As soon as the cpu runs on more than 20 perc, the cpu goes up to 99 degrees C and the fans run at full speed.

So here are my questions:
    - I cannot decide between Arctic MX4, Thermal Grizzly Cryonaut or Coollaboratory Liquid Pro. Which of these would you suggest?
    - what have you used the thermal pads for? I can either get Arctic or Therma Grizzly Minus 8. Which are better? And how many 0.5mm and 1mm do I need?

Thanks for advice.

7. SnakeSK

Reputations:
    haha told you :D

As for the TIM - I went with Gelid GC Extreme, didn´t went with LM as there are far more drawbacks to it, and I don´t really care if the cpu is at 80 or 70C (dif between TIM/LM).

I used one stripe of 0,5mm and 1 stripe of 1mm phobya thermal pads, replacing the stock gummy like. The most crucial part is the VRM, which really needs good thermal conductivity interface to cool the VRM so CPU is not throttling so often.

You will need the 0,5mm ones for caps after the VRM, and 1mm ones for VRMs, and GPU memory

Eclipse2016 likes this.
  8. janosik.kopac

Reputations:
    Thaaaat's right :) you told me :)

I have bought a 5.5g pack of the Thermal Grizzly Cryonaut at the beginning (yes, too many risks with the metal pastes).

Besides this, as far as I understand I need one piece of this:

https://www.alza.sk/thermal-grizzly-minus-pad-8-120-20-1-0-mm-d5151359.htm?o=7

and one piece of this:

https://www.alza.sk/thermal-grizzly-minus-pad-8-120-20-0-5-mm-d5151357.htm?o=10

Is it right?

Another idea: there are also thicker - 1.5mm and 2mm pads - would they fit as well and would they bring any real advantage over 0.5mm?

By the way and just to be sure.. hope my warranty is not void by repasting...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  9. SnakeSK

Reputations:
    tichepc.sk

No they won´t fit, anything thicked than 0.5mm on the caps will result in heatsink being skewed and not seating properly on GPU memory and VRMs.

10. janosik.kopac

Reputations:
    THanks for the tip. I have had a look at tichepc.sk - but ordered then the Thermal Grizzly (btw does SK in your nick mean Slovakia?) in the end. And though I have been building PCs and playing with hardware for the past 20 years, this is gonna be my first repasting. so keep your fingers crossed :)