Any comment on ZBook 15 G5?

Discussion in 'HP' started by ace111, Aug 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ace111

ace111 Newbie

Reputations:
    I am consdiering to deploy some ZBook 15 G5, but some users complained about HP ZBook G4's keyboards as comparing to Thinkpad, etc.

Any thoughts about ZBook 15 G5 are welcome from anyone having gotten these machines.

By the way, do you encounter heat throttle? How is the build quality comparing to G4?

2. SnakeSK

SnakeSK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Keyboard is everyone´s personal choice, so I´ll leave that as is. Yes the notebook tends to throttle, I have open a ticket with HP as they are not allowing the fans to go over 70%, on several occasions, I was able to overheat the machine (gaming :D ) so that it shut off, Intel is here to blame however. If you disable MCE the temps are stable. Having all generations of ZBooks, quality is going down IMHO, best was the G1, worst was the G3/G4, G5 is somewhere in the middle.

ace111 likes this.
  3. ace111

ace111 Newbie

Reputations:
    May I ask your hardware configuration of CPU and GPU? Xeon E-2176M + Quadro P2000?

Maybe they are trying hard to suppress the fan noises. I think I should respect that and purchase machines with lower hardware specs.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  4. SnakeSK

Reputations:
    Mine specifically is E2186M + P2000, but we also have i5 and i7-8XXXH models, those do it also

5. ace111

ace111 Newbie

Reputations:
    Did you mean i5/i7/xeon all get heat throttled, or the fans would not go over 70%. (I assumed i5/i7 are much cooler than xeon.)

It's hard to choose over them this year. Some models doesn't upgrade their TDP limits, higher frequency is not necessarily faster than slow one, due to thermal throttling.

6. SnakeSK

Reputations:
    I´ve seen them rarely temp throttle, only in synth benchmarks with CPU+GPU active at the same time.

The fans look like a bug, because the machine is able to cool itself on heavier workloads with fans manually pumped to 100%. 4c CPU models runs cooler, but the MCE is killing it, TDP now only applies to default clock speeds, when Turbo Boosting, I saw 90-100W of usage on package itself, and that is much higher than any notebook can cool (unless watercooled)

7. janosik.kopac

janosik.kopac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    SnakeSK: you are having exactly the same model that I am almost persuaded to buy. As there is no review of ZBook G5 around yet, please can you answer my questions:
    - how is the battery life when e.g. browing on wifi?
    - how is the noise under load? Do the fans go loud even under light load, e.g. browsing?
    - which model is the primary SSD? Could you please measure the transfer rates?
    - is there a SATA cable for HDD? Some specs say that it may NOT be included.
    - just to be sure: 2x free RAM slots and 1x M.2 and 1x SATA slots free, right?

Thanks a lot, you may solve my huge dilemma (Zbook G5/Thinkpad P52/Precision 7530)

8. SnakeSK

Reputations:
    I am able to push it about 10-12 hrs with balanced battery mode, using 71% of brightness (calibrated) with lightweight work. This is on 100% battery charge though, I have set BIOS to charge it up to 80% so runtime is a little bit less

Under load it is less loud than G3 I had, however in normal conditions the fans spins aroun 960rpms, and I am unable to hear it (they are way quieter than previous gens). I am not going to go into some measurements but the loudness is nothing crazy in my opinion, and in just normal browsing you won´t hear it I promise. Just make sure the FIRST thing you do is repaste the CPU and replace the thermal pads (phobya ones 7W/mK, you´ll need 1mm and 0.5mm thickness, paste I used is Gelid GC Extreme, since then I am unable to push the CPU beyond 80C and GPU beyond 72C, stock paste is really bad and you may experience thermal shutdowns in higher ambient temps (28+)

I believe it is the PM981 SSD, 512+1TB, performance is near the same as 970 Pro last time I measured, about 3.2gigs read and 2.1gigs write sequential, the 1TB is a little bit faster

No SATA cable is needes, as there is a port directly on the motherboard with supplied cradle, I dont use SATA SSD though

I had no free slots (64 Gigs), however 2 slots are user accessible, 2 are on the bottom and you have to take the mobo out to access them, so be sure you order at least 32Gigs so these are populated, you can upgrade them later. Yes 1 NVME slot is free (in my case occupied by 1TB PM981)

9. janosik.kopac

janosik.kopac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for the information. I don't expect any exact measurements of noise, 'I can't hear it' is fair enough :) The pre-configured model is 2186M + 512GB HDD + 32GB RAM + P2000 + 4K display, so everything I need/expect/want for my work - I just add my 1TB SATA SSD with old data/projects + NVME drive for my virtual machines and all is done.

Oh - and thanks for the tip with repasting, but I don't think I'll do it :)

Maybe one more question: have you considered the Precision 7530? If yes, why has ZBook won?

Again, thanks a lot!

10. SnakeSK

Reputations:
    4K display is your preference, I don´t think it´s worth the price but it may suit your workload better (I do a lot of VMs and management of servers so 4K is unnecessary for me, better invest into larger NVMe drive + FHD panel as this will drive your runtime further than SATA SSD + 4K panel).

No I haven´t, Dell has been running into TB3 issues with their docks and controllers (split lanes) so I ruled them out completely. Some of my colleagues run Lenovo´s but I cant stand their keyboard

janosik.kopac likes this.