Antivirus Summary Report 2018

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Spartan, Feb 7, 2019.

1. all9everything

all9everything Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i dont recall having to subscribe to use it... might have to recheck that

huntnyc likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You like spyware? On top pay for ito_O
    upload_2019-3-29_13-57-17.png

upload_2019-3-29_14-6-22.png
    upload_2019-3-29_14-12-1.png

Avast is ruining CCleaner -- malware, bundled software, popup ads... what's next? None should use this Malware company. Period!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Ashtrix, Spartan and Vasudev like this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  4. Papusan

Reputations:
    Norton? Nope. Eset... YEEES. I wouldn't touch Norton with a ten-foot pole. Either Windoze's own AV or Eset. And I can live without it as well.

5. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This!

My Norton Security review since 2 years and it still hasn't changed after I tested it last month.

Positives:

- Light on the system
    - Excellent layered protection using regular AV Definition files + SONAR + Firewall

Negatives:

- Heavily bloated, even if your license is for the Norton Security and not the deluxe version, you see the same UI with buttons for things that are not covered by your license like online backup, family safety, etc. Clicking on those buttons only opens up a prompt for you to upgrade your license! No thanks! don't throw stuff in my face, I bought the license that I want because that's all I want!

- After spending about 1 hour configuring all the settings and the firewall rules which was a very tedious task, I looked for a way to save all these settings like ESET and Avast allow you to save them in a single configuration file to load the back easily if you re-install but Norton doesn't have such a basic feature. Pathetic to say the least!

- Adding to the bloatware, it has a system optimizer that defrags your drives, even if you have an SSD, it will defragment it rather than running a TRIM command which the built in Windows Defragment & Optimize Drives Tool does.

- The uninstaller leaves tons of leftovers, even if you use their standalone Norton Install and Reinstall tool which has an uninstall option, if you search your registry, you will find 10s of Norton related entries and some of them are even protected and you can't delete them even though you've uninstalled the darn thing!

- One of the most expensive security suites out there if not THE most expensive!

Papusan likes this.
  6. Papusan

Reputations:
    Many years ago we here home got free full suite of Norton from the Internet ISP (baked into the cost). I tested it and went directly back to free Windoze AV. Then Eset Kaspersky... Back to Windoze AV and now back to Eset and will be there. I think my post above stand on it's own feets. Eset or Windoze Free. Or just forget use AV.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
    As I said above... I can even live well without AV. I can't remember if I have been infected. If so... Maybe before 2000. But can't remember. Maybe i'm starting to be old?:rolleyes:

Spartan likes this.
  9. Papusan

Reputations:
    Avast spies on HTTPS connections
    Published on 30. August 2019 by Günter Born
    [​IMG]
    Anyone installing an Avast antivirus solution on their Windows system should expect their HTTPS connections to be monitored. It is well known that anti-virus providers read the HTTPS connections. Avast seems to have been using a new technology for a week - and has caught on a developer version of Chrome with it.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, you certainly can. As you already know, I haven't used security software for years. I've tested a few here and there, only to end up uninstalling them within a month. They're just an extra hassle that I do not want or need, and they're too annoying to put up with. The greatest security risk to any PC is the behavior of the person sitting in front of the keyboard. Antivirus and security software suites primarily benefit the companies that are selling them. Their sales are driven by fear. If a person is susceptible to fear, then the free built-in Defender is good enough. It's one of the few things left that the Redmond Retards are actually good at. The best defense is a Macrium Reflect image stored on external media, like a USB drive.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Vasudev and Papusan like this.