Anti-Virus? Why?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Happy_Hamer, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    Why are we talking about paranoia concerning an AV? Even if MSE recorded some form of data from your computer they probably wrote it in their EULA(which most people don't read anyhow) so if that's the case it's not a "OMG hidden conspiracy" thing :confused:

I mean, even Facebook gathers some data according to their EULA yet people still use Facebook a lot >.>

2. UniqueQ

UniqueQ Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The people I have talked to do not seem to like the MSE statement,

"In some instances, personal information might unintentionally be sent to Microsoft. However, Microsoft will not use this information to identify you or contact you."

Looks like that statement could cover/mean any information/personal information from your hard disk being sent to microsoft by mistake.

3. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well, that statement is a failsafe.

They just make sure nobody gets the notion they can be taken to court because Microsoft knows they like NBR (that would be personal data).

The question is rather - why does Microsoft place this insurance in its disclaimer.

4. Melody

Reputations:
    The keyword is "unintentionally".

Now, the explanation of how MS would "unintentionally" end up with personal data probably ties in with what kind of protocol MSE uses to collect data and send it back to MS.

I mean, the reason they put it is indeed a failsafe. Perhaps it'll never happen, but just in case it does(mistake in the code or whatnot), then they want to be safe in case they receive something not related to what MSE is supposed to gather(virus/malware info).

5. UniqueQ

UniqueQ Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The statement appears to cover them.

I would like to know how often personal information is sent to microsoft by mistake (unintentionally) and if this information is permanently stored in their database or is it deleted? If banking information was sent in error, would microsoft delete it?

True and good question. How does MSE work to warrant such a statement? Or is it just cover. Or a way to spy and be covered?

You decide.

6. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I doubt something something like banking information could be sent in error.
    It must be something stored on the computer.

For things like banking information the programme would need to work like a keylogger which I seriously doubt.

7. Melody

Reputations:
    Well as said before, if MS really did want to spy on you, it'd have been much more efficient and simpler to hide it in the OS itself rather than in a separate(and optional) AV "addon".

I think it's just a failsafe clause. I wouldn't be surprised if every program which collects data has a clause which in some way or form resembles it.

8. key001

key001 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @OP: Go ahead, remove whatever anti-virus sw you have. I'll be laughing when your HDD gets formatted or you'll get your bios flashed with some garbage

9. luee

luee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I still get an occasional catch from my malware programs, makes the trouble worth it, but I never pay.

10. weinter

weinter /dev/null

Reputations:
    I think I saw it it is called "Customer Experience Improvement.
    Go Task scheduler under Microsoft you should see 3 of such task.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.