Anti-Virus? Why?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Happy_Hamer, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    my MAIN point is i prefer to trust the vendor of the SECURITY product than the criminals that make the security product NEEDED.

anyone thinking otherwise is paranoid. believing criminals are less of an evil than some funky illuminati controlled world state.

not on what they chose. on WHY they chose.

2. UniqueQ

UniqueQ Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Very good points. :) Excellent post.

It is always good to have some knowledge on how a product functions.

3. davepermen

Reputations:
    understand what my points are. i never said anything against those points.

4. UniqueQ

UniqueQ Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    But you do not know 'why' with me and you have 'labelled' me paranoid. I have not given any reason why. I have been using internet security before I had even heard of mse.

I have only provided/highlighted information on the function of a product. People are free to use the information how they like.

I find the 'paranoid' line of discussion pointless. All the good information being presented on the anti-virus topic is being lost because of this line. I am done/finished with that line of discussion.

5. davepermen

Reputations:
    i was not pointing out you're paranoid. i pointed out people chosing that as a point for not using MSE as paranoid. as i chose anyone trusting criminals more than the police as paranoid. which makes sende.

and i find it's a very important line of security software. the question how far do you want to go to prevent anything can happen on your system. AND the actual knowledge if it really is true, or is it blind faight into something because it tells you it's great, and you can trust it then.

most people have about 0 clue on how viruses act on pcs, and thus buy anything that "saves them from killing their pc". the security software industry makes more money, the more paranoid people get about their savety. except for MSE. it makes no money, it makes money from actually securing windows, as this makes windows save, and thus most likely sells more windows licensees.

so the reason i trust personally MSE over any other security companys product is, they don't life from selling as much as possible. they life from making it as good as possible.

i have not pointed at you. i pointed at the situation in general. people can chose for wrong reasons, and should get that pointed out, if they do so.

6. KimoT

KimoT Are we not men?

Reputations:
    I did consider the inability to [easily] opt out of MSE's reporting as a negative, but eventually decided to let it run. My logic is that the larger the base of reports MS has, the more accurate their filter will be. Seems like a small price for a free program. At least it's not like when they tried pushing updates without permission: they tell you what it's doing, and it is related to the function of the software. I do understand people choosing not to allow MSE to report, but I think it's a fair trade.

7. CYBERSAVVY

CYBERSAVVY Newbie

Reputations:
    Maintaining 100% "updatedness" in programs is probably just as important,( if not more so ), as a good security prog. Not enough people regularly patch, other than Window's auto-update perhaps ? That's my opinion after much observation over a comparitively short period tho' ! There's not always a hole in an "arguement" ?!

8. weinter

weinter /dev/null

Reputations:
    Yep the intent is very important.
    You rather trust those whose intent are trying to make things right than those who are trying to get at your money.
    Same as new sources, heavily sponsored new channels are more likely to report news beneficial to their payers.

That is why I don't understand why people believe in Apple and their ads so much, aren't they trying to get you to buy as much of their overpriced items as possible?

In the first place I never trust a company who dare to use an English word, one of those first few learn by toddlers as their company name.

It is part of critical thinking.

9. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Hmm... on my old laptop (XP) I didn't get a virus with a significantly outdated anti virus...
    If you end up with plenty of malware then I have a suspicion you are doing something wrong.

Yes, not anti virus software is perfect - but it does offer some protection.

And the way you list those - I hope you didn't run them all at once.

Little analogy:
    Imagine you are using a bicycle - you can wear a helmet or not - if you fall without one - you don't have to injure your head, but the probability is increased.
    With a helmet its reduced.

Now assume a car or a lorry hits you - the helmet can only do so much and your neck would take a lot of strain too.

But do you get the idea? :)

10. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    At least we know the criminals is the bad guy. Besides, a little active paranoia can be a good thing in these days and times. Only an idiot would put all his trust in government with all the history to the contrary we have today. In fact, dare I say, that being suspicious of government should be..."common sense!"
    Sorry, but again no. Paranoia is a psychological state in which there is an expectation of an unrealistic fear of events. In fact, we've been deceived by big business many times: God only know what Google intends to do with it's massive database of all your browsing habits it's been collecting over the years. Perhaps sell it to anyone who what to know more about you than you know about yourself, maybe?

On the other hand, maybe I'm being paranoid, and they're just collecting all that information for prosperity?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.