Anti-Virus? Why?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Happy_Hamer, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happy_Hamer

Happy_Hamer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Seriously? Why Bother? I have had Norton, Mcafee, AVG and all kinds of others and yet no matter how carefull I am, I end up with viruses. spyware, trojans and all that other crap. They do not stop anything!

What is the purpose of payng for this stuff? Once you get a trojan, the firewall is useless

What does an Anti-Virus do? Do I really need it?

My computer runs faster without that stuff installed

Tell me why I need it

2. cloudbyday

cloudbyday Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's more of a security measure, I don't totally rely on anti-virus' program.

3. Full-English

Full-English Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It will stop a lot of threats, no anti-virus or anti-spyware in 100% in catching everything, but if your getting threats now with anti-virus installed, god knows what your system would be like without it.

If your getting loads of problems and virus etc, you really need to look at your online habits, as the only way to be 100% secure is to be very careful about what and where you visit, and also what you download.

And on a side note, why are you paying for anti-virus's and internet security programs, the best ones out there are free!!!

4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Generally, if you have a decent antivirus installed, then it should usually prevent viruses from infecting the computer.
    However, if your comp gets infected and it cannot be removed in standard mode, running the Safe Mode and scanning the system from there will quite likely be able to remove the thing.

Paying for antivirus software is unnecessary.
    Norton was bad in the past (not anymore though), and I won't even comment on AVG.

I personally only use Microsoft Security Essentials for my antivirus/anti-spyware protection and I haven't had problems.
    It's very light on system resources, fast, has a high detection rate (comparable to quality paid software), and most of all, it's free.

If you do not wish to have an antivirus on your system, that's your decision, but in this day and age, I really wouldn't recommend it.
    A free antivirus solution that's decent will get the job done.

5. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If I pushed you off a building would you rather have a one in a hundred chance of survival or zero chance OP? I for one appreciate having some margin of safety; and Norton (and others) has been tested to stop many forms of computer viruses as well as a number of other intrusive devices.

In any event, if you never go online or connect ANY unknown external device to your computer you should be pretty safe.

6. unnamed01

unnamed01 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    LOL! Thats too funny!

Back on topic I've stopped using anti-virus programs for about two years now and yet to have been infected. :confused: Oh well. If I had a faster computer with one of those fancy duo core CPUs, and more than 512mb of RAM I would...

7. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    I also wonder at the OP's habits if he/she still gets viruses despite having an antivirus installed.

I've went through lots of AVs(including AVG, Avira, MSE, Norton and Kapersky) and I haven't caught a genuine computer virus in years(the last one I recall was in the early days of my high school years) so it's definitely not the AVs' fault(regardless of how good/bad they were).

If anything, spywares and tracking cookies and such are more common nowadays than viruses.

8. Explosivpotato

Explosivpotato Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @unnamed1 You have a Mac.. As a general rule, Macs don't get viruses.

9. pixelot

pixelot Notebook Acolyte

Reputations:
    Never had a virus. In Windows I usually use Firefox with Adblock Plus, Comodo Firewall Pro (not on full settings), and AVG Free or lately Avira. I don't use NoScript, but I don't download and/or open suspicious stuff. :confused: :p

(Or I just use Linux. ;))

10. unnamed01

unnamed01 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well I was talking about my PC I bought around 2000-2001...but also I don't know much about macs and could have 10+ viruses and not know >.< (fingers crossed)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.