Anti Virus software that consumes the least system resources

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by hendra, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hendra

hendra Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Which anti virus software consumes the least system resources and writes the least registry keys?

2. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Some (or most :p) might recommend Kaspersky or Avast, I'm an AVG user myself and found it to be the least in resource hogging (don't know about registry keys though). :)

3. Silas Awaketh

Silas Awaketh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    NOD32.

Not sure about the registry keys.

4. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    AVG, Avast, Avira personal edition, AOL activevirusshield (discontinued)

5. theZoid

theZoid Notebook Savant

Reputations:
    NOD32 I think.

6. 3ric87

3ric87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm currently using Kaspersky and it works pretty fine.

What is NOD32? :p

7. zfactor

zfactor Mastershake

Reputations:
    nod32 or avira are hands down the av's with the least impact.. ive tried THEM ALL

8. theZoid

theZoid Notebook Savant

Reputations:
    http://www.eset.com/ Check it out here...it's what I've used for quite some time.

9. taelrak

taelrak Lost

Reputations:
    Nod32 hands down. Not only does it consume the least and takes up the least space, it's also got the best proactive defense and is probably the fastest on-demand scanner available too (consistently for several years).

Kaspersky has made a ton of improvements over its last 2 versions in footprint (anyone remember how bad it was pre version 6?), although it has always been #1 or near the top in terms of known viruses and still probably is. Still, Kaspersky 7 isn't as compact as Nod32 3.0, especially if you turn advanced heuristics way up (Nod32 manages to do this without slowing the system down noticeably and still get better results than Kaspersky :p).

For the free ones, Avast, AVG and Antivir (Avira) are all quite lightweight (although none of them compares to Nod32 in terms of efficiency or results). I actually disliked the drain each of these free ones put on my system.

AOL Activevirus shield mentioned above is nothing more than a truncated version of Kaspersky 6.0, and the new Aol antivirus is just mcAfee.

10. thnksfrthmmrs

thnksfrthmmrs Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    From my experience I have to say that it's a tie between Avira Antivir and AVG. Avast consumes about 5 MB more RAM than the other two, but that would be a minimal difference that you'll hardly notice these days with 1 or 2 GB of RAM becoming standard. As for the registry keys I would guess that Antivir or AVG would have the least, as they're quick to install and uninstall. Think about Norton! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.