Anti-virus for Mac ?

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by joot, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joot

joot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do any of you use an anti-virus program on your Mac ? How about anti-keylogger ? I know Mac's are relatively less prone to virus infections and such but, when you are using your Mac to perform on-line banking and such, there's always the unknown in the back of my mind...your thoughts ?

2. SP Forsythe

SP Forsythe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I withdraw my previous response.

You are new, and I don't want to give the impression that my response would be indicative of all situations.

But, I don't use an AV on a routine basis, and it has never been an issue.

3. Seshan

Seshan Rawrrr!

Reputations:
    Don't download Pirated or cracked Apps, don't download scetchy apps, if your not sure about them google. Don't fill in your admin password for a App that shouldn't need it. Your average apps don't, If it's asking for your password and you are not sure about the app. Google.

4. doh123

doh123 Without ME its just AWESO

Reputations:
    Sophos free edition actually runs really nicely. Less likely to have anything happen, and less likely to keep or pass on Windows malware to Windows users.... even if it doesn't affect your machine.

5. dkwhite

dkwhite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Most of the type of criminal activity that would occur based on what you are talking about is going to come from countries like Nigeria where it is estimated that hundreds of thousands of people might be involved in this type of criminal activity. Numbers for China are a lot harder to come by but it's no secret that the Chinese government does NOTHING to dissuade its citizens from committing these types of crimes.

These organized Crime syndicates mostly target corporations, which mostly use windows/unix machines and servers.

If you want to protect yourself, you'd do better to invest in a VPN service for when you are using open networks in public places. I can't tell you how many mac users forego a good VPN and will sit there and make purchases and pay bills over completely open and unencrypted networks at their local Starbucks or Barnes & Noble or even with the free wifi at their local college.

A time is coming where this will change, but for now, Mac Users just don't have the sheer numbers to have to really worry about viruses, trojans, keyloggers, etc.

6. directeuphorium

directeuphorium Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I use a AV program to scan downloads.

7. diggy

diggy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You know, I wasnt quite impressed with Sophos. We had to test it here at work because one of the powers that be wants to get AV software for our Mac's and a few Linux boxes for whatever reason. Even though its billed as being geared towards Mac, I'd say 90% of what its doing is actually geared towards Windows. For instance, they have an application blocking feature, that right now, wont block Mac apps from installing, but it will block any Windows apps. It does checks for viruses/malware which could affect Windows machines (which makes sense, because though it may not cuase harm to the Mac, there is the possibility that it could potentially get out and cause issues to PC's on the network), and you cant do a remote install to any connected clients on the server (has to be a manual install by either remoting in or having the user connect to the server and download the install package). these are all things that Sophos told me would be addressed within the "year"

**Just to clarify - this wasnt the free home edition we were testing out - it was their management console geared toward business/enterprise**

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.