1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Another law student in trouble

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by psychotic, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psychotic

psychotic Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey everyone, I’ve been doing a lot of research, however I can’t decide which laptop to buy. This will be my first one so I need help. I will be starting uni (Law) in September in UK however I will be buying this in Pakistan.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Around $2000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

b. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    c. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?
    Mostly law school work, music, watching movies and light gaming if I get the time

4) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?
    I will be carrying it around all day

5) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?
    I guess if I get the time for it Counter Strike, FIFA C&C

6) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

I was leaning towards lenovo, dell and toshiba………. I do not want fujitsu, asus and I can’t use Mac so that rules out Apple. I liked sony but the FE series didn’t get the best reviews.

7) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    5+

8) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?
    I will be ordering it from an agent but before that I will have to customize it online.

9) Please select your country's flag as a post icon and tell us what country are you buying this in?
    Pakistan but anyway it will be ordered and coming in from abroad

Screen Specifics

10) Would you prefer standard or widescreen?
    Widescreen

11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?

Widescreen
    d. WXGA or WXGA+ - 1280x768/800 or 1440x900; Wider viewing version of XGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
    e. WSXGA+ - 1680x1050; Wider viewing version of SXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
    f. WUXGA - 1920x1200; Wider viewing version of UXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.

I’m actually not sure so if you could recommend something

12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
    Glossy

Build Quality and Design

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    it should look decent

14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
    i want to buy it in two weeks but i can wait till the end of august. It must last for at least 4 years

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 120GB?
    100Gb or more

16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD-ROM, DVD-CD/RW or DVD-RW drive?

DVD-RW

I really like the XPS 1210 but I felt maybe the screen is too small
    And I was also looking at the lenovo ThinkPad Z61 but was wondering whether it would be too heavy to carry around

I wouldn’t mind going for a tablet pc but it should cover most of the functions in notebooks.
    Also should I wait a purchase a notebook with Intel Core 2 Duo Merom Processor.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    asus z96j/s96j.. asus a8jm (512 dedicated)
    for cheaper and lighter solutions

hp dv5000series and the dell inspirons theres a bunch in that group

3. ejl

ejl fudge

Reputations:
    i would consider the hp nc8430 or asus w3j. 5+ hours is difficult to get.

4. jterp7

jterp7 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the asus z96j is a good fit..the wsxga+ res is going to help a lot for all that typing..with the 9cell it will get 5hrs+

another option would be the t60 which im betting a lot of law students will have..for your budget the 14" sxga+ model would fit well..make sure to get the 9cell and you will easily get 5-6hrs battery life if not more..the lenovo's have the best keyboards in the business..with the asus's only slightly behind

the t60 will definitely be the lighter of the two at around 5.5 compared to the z96j's 6ish lbs.

5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you can get it, the Compal HGL30 comes with a nine cell battery and a bit more portable than the 15" notebooks listed.

6. psychotic

psychotic Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the options.........i guess maybe i dont need so much battery life. I did consider asus earlier but my friend in the US was complaining alot about his laptop, so asus is NOT an option.

would a 12.1" laptop be too small...and would the lenovo z series be too big?

I saw that the dell inspiron is a popular choice but apparently it doesnt hace a pc card slot.

7. ZaZ

Reputations:
    There is a 14" Z series which is quite light and portable. You should check some 12" notebooks out to see if you like.

8. psychotic

psychotic Newbie

Reputations:
    Well your replies have helped me narrow down my options. I still like the lenovo z series and the dell xps 1210 however i am also considering the latitude d820 and inspiron e1505. The sony Fe series has had really bad reviews. Is it actually so bad?

i do also have a few questions.

1. Since i can extend this purchase till early september will laptops with Intel Core 2 Duo Merom Processor be available by then

2. is there any difference between lenovos z61m and z61t except for the difference in screen size.

3. this question is more for people in uk universities.... my original first choice was inspiron e1505 but it does not have pc card slot.... will that cause serious difficulty if i choose to purchase it.

9. ZaZ

Reputations:
    1. Hard to say, but if there are selection will be limited.
    2. The T has an integrated graphics card while the Z has discrete options.
    3. Only if you need a PC card slot.

10. psychotic

psychotic Newbie

Reputations:
    I guess since there will not be alot of laptops with core 2 duo by september i might as well buy one now.

I went to a store to compare sizes and i feel i will require a 15.4 screen so i have decided to go for the z61m.........hopefully it wont be too heavy to carry in a city like london where my dorm will be a 25 min walk from my uni specially if i have a backpack for it.