Another Buying thread(For Coding)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by gamingJohn, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gamingJohn

gamingJohn Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello All,

I want to buy a new laptop, currently I own a Dell XPS 15 and it lasted 6 years before the fan busting day before yesterday.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

Max AUD 3,200, the lower the better :)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    15" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

Australia

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: My XPS was a work horse so, I incline towards Dell.
    b. Dislike: No.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Mainly watching Movies, Netflix, I am a developer so I do code sometimes(not all the time :)), rarely photo editing using Lightroom.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Mostly on my Bed, I have a desktop for desk :).

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    I have desktop for that, but yeah sometime but nothing heavy on laptop.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

As much as possible.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

I prefer to see the notebooks, but I can buy it online if I am 100% sure of its quality.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

I prefer Windows, but I can live with macOS.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

I would prefer a FullHD screen, UHD will be an overkill for 15.6"(what are your thoughts guys?, is there any significant difference in screen quality?). I think UHD will just suck battery.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Any will do, but the screen must be bright and vivid and as stunning as possible.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Not necessarily (although it would be nice). But build quality is very important. High quality and feel of materiais is a must.

15) When are you buying this laptop?

As soon as possible.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

I will prefer to use it as long as I can, my XPS lasted me 6 years :eek: , so I got full value for my money with that :) .

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

SSD is absolutely required. 256 or 512 GB.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

No optical drive

19) RAM : 16 GB

Note: I want a system that is not too bulky. I am too old now to carry those mammoths with me(I am not that old :D). I was going for XPS 15 but the Full HD model has only 8 GB RAM and the Dell team was not ready to increase the SSD capacity as well and neither the battery from 56WHr to 97WHr. I was considering Apple MacBook Pro not sure how it stacks against XPS 15 and also not sure whether I will be able to port all my licenses from Win to Apple.

Guys help me with this, I am ready to consider any laptop any OS and if worth I can increase my budget a bit as well.

Regards,
    John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.