Another brand subwoofer in a CLEVO

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by MahmoudDewy, Jul 4, 2018.

1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I actually have my whole HDD caddy removed in my M18xR2 due to the SATA interposer failing. Using a single mSATA drive.

Maybe I should try stuffing the MSI sub in there. :cool:

2. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You might want to go for the bigger gt72 subwoofer then as most likely it will bottom out. That alienware outputs more Watts than any clevo can lol in terms of speakers. It really depends on the amp, the less features the amp has the better. You know why, bass is not restricted by the amp and therefore if a speaker is soldered to either a left or right speaker in the laptop clean bass will be heard at any volume with no distortion. This is the reason why I did most mods on laptop that DON'T have dolby digital or any special software but instead they have the bog standard realtek drivers.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Well that had to put something in that extra massive space in the M18x.

4. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Can you link me on ebay which specific one I should look at?

This one? Wow it's big lol: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-GT72S-...194587?hash=item1ca7cb2c9b:g:CQYAAOSw0aNaz9BB

Will it wire with the current sub connector? I can just splice the wires if it doesn't I guess.

I'm just worried since the HDD bay is blocked by the bottom panel, I don't know if it will go louder than my current sub.

Found these as well:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GT70-MS-17...627905&hash=item3f2d094eca:g:nLQAAMXQWzNSnnIO

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-GT780D...986029?hash=item2aa5a9a96d:g:xOcAAOSwSLtayW7N

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  5. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm probably the guy you want to talk to since I've done this project, successfully getting a L702X subwoofer working in my P157SM and WIP on my P375SM-A (which will feature a larger one hopefully).

So there are multiple problems here, the subwoofer itself is the least of your problems, the biggest issue here is how to drive the subwoofer properly which will require custom drivers. The main issue with the sound from Clevo systems is not the speakerset, but how the trash sound drivers fail to drive the speakers properly.

You will realize once you build a custom subwoofer, the sound will barely improve if at all.

@ssj92
    Don't bother with the GT 72 subwoofer, its way to big for the Clevo chasis. The main issue on that subwoofer is not its lenght or witdh, but it's height, it would require a place where it would fill the entire case which is impossible unless you make a hole in the mainboard.

EDIT: nvm you have an aliwnware, Idk about the dimensions in that one. Also I don't know if the sound drivers will properly drive the subwoofer, if you order an MSI subwoofer and do the project, keep us updated!

@DaMafiaGamer
    You clearly have not modded a clevo before. The conenction of clevo notebooks are different than MSI's port for instance, also the main issue with clevo notebooks (in terms of building subwoofer into the system) are that you cannot use subwoofer that are very thick (such as the GT 72), because the mainboard will interfere. Clevo notebooks have a lot of "mainboard PCB), which makes very thick subwoofer such as the GT 72 impossible to fit in unless you do some severe case modding.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    ssj92 likes this.
  6. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    My M18x is 55mm (2.17") thick so I am sure I can fit it. I asked the seller to measure the GT72S subwoofer. I can splice the wires to my current sub if the connector is different.

I think the drivers should power it fine. It's Creative Soundblaster Recon 3Di with J95's mod. It drives my current sub well but I don't know if it will be able to fully power the new one.

Would hooking up the new sub be better to the main L/R channel or the sub channel? I'm assuming the sub doesn't have any built-in crossover?

7. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    It's not about the case thickness it's about the room you have inside the case. The mainboard on clevo notebooks are pretty big and use all the space. The subwoofer from the GT 72 is next to the mainboard which almost takes the entire height of the notebook (i have 2 GT 72 so I know them pretty well).

I think u'll be facing the same issue here, the GT 72 subwoofer will simply be 2 big for the case unless you do some weird modding.

Here is your M18X:
    [​IMG]

Now see how MSI has placed their subwoofer:
    [​IMG]

There is no PCB under the subwoofer because it takes the entire case.

EDIT:
    Also don't be sure about the whole sound driver thing. I tried his mod for clevo as well and it didnt do anything. After doing the mod ull find out yourself I guess.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  8. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    It will go in the HDD caddy bay I removed. The HDD caddy can hold 3 2.5" drives (two 7mm and one 9.5mm):

[​IMG]

Bottom right corner of this pic:

[​IMG]

If it's bigger than that I'd be surprised because that's a lot of room.

9. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    That should fit I think then. When the sound is barely better then you need to mod the drivers as well.

10. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Unfortunately I wouldn't know how to do that. I'm more of a hardware guy not software. :oops:

All I know how to do is modify the settings in the control panel for sound blaster :D

Once the seller replies the dimensions I'll buy and see what happens.