Another brand subwoofer in a CLEVO

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by MahmoudDewy, Jul 4, 2018.

1. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    I believe it is a known fact that the subwoofer in CLEVOs or at least my model is abominable, so I was wondering if anyone attempted to install a subwoofer from a different brand like Toshiba Qosmio, AW M18x or basically any MSI with the same plug. Or maybe a woofer from a different CLEVO model that is known to have good sound properties.

Please refrain from explaining why all laptop speakers suck and why they will never be as good as an external setup/headphones, I am an audiophile and I am fully aware of that. Still I want to make the best out of the internal sound setup for mobility reasons.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    So long as the draw is not too high in terms of power and you can fit it in then it would work.

MahmoudDewy likes this.
  3. MahmoudDewy

Reputations:
    Any suggestions?

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    No idea, it's about searching around looking for those specs.

5. poprostujakub

poprostujakub Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any 4Ω speaker will work. I used HDD bay to host large subwoofer that I bought long time ago.

MahmoudDewy likes this.
  6. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you haven't already, post build pics, that sounds interesting.

7. MahmoudDewy

Reputations:
    Very interesting! Can you give me a link to that sub?

8. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok first of all I do this everytime I buy a laptop without a subwoofer, what you want is an msi gt70/gt780/gt780dxr subwoofer, it is THE BEST OF THE BEST there is literally nothing better. Trust me when I say this but a bigger enclosure or speaker doesn't mean its always better, its the cone diameter that matters. So alienware is out of the question, so is clevo. It's loud and can go to below 60hz, only downside is that you may need to make it slimmer. Also the subwoofer flexes a lot so you need adequate space for it. Don't worry about watts with this one, it can handle 15w with no heat issues even though its rated for 5w.

Edit: If you buy this sub remember to cover the port hole so air DOESN'T get out of the subwoofer box otherwise you will damage the cone of the sub! It should be enough to shake your table at least lol.

9. MahmoudDewy

Reputations:
    Aaaaaaaaand bought it. Let the experiment begin :)

A quick glimpse at the port it seems identical to Clevo one, am I right? This is just plug and play?

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  10. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yep it should be but let me warn you that it will make your laptop significantly louder and you may need to add foam pieces (small stickable tabs) to the sub to avoid distortion at certain frequencies.

Also the amp on clevo laptops isn't the best, the mod still works but clevo limits the frequency range so certain 'bass' notes sound off but at a high enough volume it will be fine. As it will 'forcebly' play through.

Just make sure the little foam piece is in the air port hole too, you don't want to 'bottom out' your sub!