Ampere Laptop GPUs

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by farris, Aug 18, 2020.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If it ends up being compatible, I might pick up a 3080 in the spring. At 1600p I still have some upward mobility jumping from a 2070 that is being a tad bit handicapped over TB3, even with my meager 15W CPU. I think with a 3080 i'd be leaving a little on the table though, but at least I will no longer the GPU limited anymore, which actually happens right now in some cases. 2070 sometimes is a little south of enough to crank a bunch of stuff up at 1600p.

And I can pick up a better lightweight laptop with a better CPU later to close that gap a little. Though my options are going to be limited, after having this 1) 3lb 2)17" 3)16:10 miracle there's very little to.. no.. no I'm not i'm willing to budge on those three points.

2. farris

farris Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is there a way to not lose a huge amount of performance with an external gpu?

I like the new xps 15 but its graphics duties will need enhancement when I am at home.

Xps 15 and the xmg neo are on my shortlist. An external gpu that didn't lose huge amounts of performance would.make.this decision much easier.

etern4l and hfm like this.
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You lose less performance by connecting a monitor directly to the video card in the eGPU, but there's still some overhead and it's only 4 PCIe lanes. I don't have that option though, but it's ok I don't mind.

As well, the higher you go in resolution, or in other words the more GPU limited you are, the lower the tb3 hit is because the card itself becomes the bottleneck.

It's never going to be as good as desktop performance for obvious reasons. Plan to lose up to 20% over normal desktop performance.

It can also change from game to game, some games use more PCIe bandwidth than others.

farris likes this.