Ampere Laptop GPUs

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by farris, Aug 18, 2020.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have all three. :)

farris likes this.
  2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Same I have a lowly GTX 1060 gs63vr and it gets 6 hours battery life...low temps and is under 0.7in thick..also is pretty powerful coupled with the i7 8750h 6 core CPU.....this isn't 2000 and Dorothy can go home

3. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In terms of slim and sleek, LG Gram is very close to the trophy now. Lenovo's IdeaPad 5 follows with slight thickness and better CPU option from the Red side, dGPU with option only from Nvidia MX series.

4. farris

farris Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am ok with Max Q

What do you have?

5. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A thin laptop with a eGPU.

6. skandal

skandal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So.... it's not light :p

7. farris

farris Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For my intended use a next gen version of a 2070 (amd or nvidia) is the minimum that would work.

Something like the XMG Neo 15 is likely right for me, once an updated version is available with the new ampere gpus.

https://www.xmg.gg/en/xmg-neo-15

8. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not if you have to have the GPU inside the laptop. If you need to have the dGPU in the laptop I agree with the assessment that you are not going to get all three unless you never put it under load or use a GPU so weak that it would almost make anyone wonder why it's there in the first place.

The "quiet" part is the part that will never happen unless there's some massive breakthrough in heat transfer technology or GPU efficiency. And then, if they have the thermal headroom they're going to make a more powerful GPU to consume it.

Gaming class laptops are notoriously non-quiet, even the ones that are semi-quiet. The best they can do is add bigger fans and fan blade enhancements to try to reduce the high pitched whine of garbage class fans.

I like my compromise where I have a decent gaming setup and I also have a 3lb 17" "Portable" laptop. And I have both the laptop and eGPU within 2ft of my ears and you can't hear either one over normal ambient noise under even the most intense gaming load.

My wife sits about 4 feet from me and this was basically and iterative effort on my part to try to make the quietest gaming laptop setup I could build (not interested in having a desktop system). She would complain about every gaming laptop I had, even the larger ones that were a little quieter. They were still annoying under load. This setup... it's SILENT.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    farris likes this.
  9. OneSickOmen17t

OneSickOmen17t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I thought about this but the truth is expect at least 1.5year wait until the real high wattage versions even come out. This is why I bought my new laptop last month. I'll jump over in another 3 years or so.

farris likes this.
  10. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    I'm just going to wait for Hopper (Nvidia 5nm). Games over the next 2 years will mostly be cross-gen developments, so my 9700K and 2080 will slide through this period smoothly.

Prototime, farris and hfm like this.