Amilo Xi 2550 experiences?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by grunnsat, Mar 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grunnsat

grunnsat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just ordered a Amilo Xi 2550 with a T9300 cpu. I now wonder if there is anyone around on this forum who has some experiences with this notebook.

2. jarni

jarni Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just got one. Specs read in signature. Datasheet says it doesn't support > 2GB of RAM. I have no recovery DVD, no any disk were there. I've backup of manufacturer default setting using FS Recovery utility as it is recommended. But now I don't know if it'll allow me to make RAID 0. Overview and some benches will be later.

3. Zero

Zero The Random Guy

Reputations:
    I think with a BIOS update, the notebook can support more RAM. For example, the previous range of Xi notebooks also stated 2GB of maximum RAM, however, BIOS updates have allowed it to accept more. I'm assuming the same is true with the Xi 1550, but I'm not entirely sure. The best way to find out is to conect Fujistu Siemens technical support, and see what they say about the issue.

4. jarni

jarni Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Tnx Zero.

I've got a problem. There is a JMicron PCIE to SATA controller with nice JMB36X Raid Tool. It has an ability to create RAID0 from Windows. And, I've tried it. Now I have RAID0 with Windows and all files on first HDD (where windows is) saved, but second HDD is missed. I mean, there where 3 logical drives: C (~130GB), D(250GB), E(~70GB). But now I have just C and E drives. D is missed. 250 GB is nowhere :(. I'll try to run some checkdisk and partition magic. If it won't help I'll have to create RAID from BIOS and reinstall Windows from backup disks. Any thoughts?

PS. 3DMark06 - ~4060 marks. Crysis runs good if Shader parameter is on LOW. So, ATI HD2700, looks to be worse than X1800. That 128bit bus is a bottleneck.

5. jarni

jarni Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    RAID update: creation of RAID0 under windows using JMB36X Raid tool failed. I've not found the way to make second HDD visible. So I went to BIOS, deleted existing RAID0, created new RAID0 and put Recovery DVD#1. Recovery was successful. NB was in the state of first start. In the result I've got 2 logical drives: C: (~320 GB) and D: (~180 GB). That was not exactly what I wanted. So, some partition tool was needed. I've used Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 (cracked, but because it helped me I'll bye it :)). So now I have C: (150 GB), D: (180 GB), E: (125 GB).

Due to unknown reasons 3DMark06 can't start.

6. jarni

jarni Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Vista sucks. Games are crashing all the time, tested on Oblivion and Rome TW. Game performance is a disaster:
    In S.T.A.L.K.E.R there is 1.8 GB physical memory usage, swapping disk a lot, in some moment, when I went to the top of hill and watched down the hill I've got 0 fps and a 20 minutes of HDD hard work withou success. I had to turn around and watch to ground to get any reasonable fps and then quit the game. Crysis performance is really bad too. 800x600, all low, 15 to 40 fps. On X1800 I had 1024x768 with all on middle and had reasonable 20-25 fps (if shader to low then 35-40 fps).

7. grunnsat

grunnsat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A couple of days ago I got my Xi2550. I ordered it from Germany, because of the price and because in the Netherlands only the models with the T8300 CPU are on sale. I had to make some changes to the laptop. I replaced the German keyboard by an international keyboard, and I replaced the German Windows Vista Home Premium by an English Windows Vista Ultimate (32bit OEM version). Why English and not Dutch? Simple, I've been working in the IT industry for over 30 years now, and I've always used English operating systems and applications.

Before I installed the fresh Vista Ultimate, I downloaded all the Vista drivers from the Fujitsu support site, as well as newer drivers from the web sites of the manufacturers, and put them on a USB stick. As a minimum you will need the JMicron drivers for the raid controller, without that you can't install Vista. You can install the other drivers after you've installed Vista.

I also replaced the memory by two 2GB modules. The manual shows how to replace one of the SO-DIMM modules. To replace the other module you have to lift the keyboard. That is not very difficult. After you remove the cover to reach the first module, you can remove the keyboard as well. One of the screws from that cover is for the keyboard (it is marked on the cover) That screw seems just a little bit longer as the other screws, so keep it apart. The keyboard is kept in place by a couple of small springs along the borders of the keyboard. You may need a light to see them. You can find one between the shift and the shift-lock key, and another one between the F2 and F3 key. You will need a small screwdriver or a knife to push these springs back, and then the keyboard will lift slightly. After all of the springs have been pushed back you can lift the keyboard. Take care not to pull out the keyboard flat cable! Turn the kayboard upside down towards you, and you will see the second SO-DIMM module.

I use two 2GB Buffalo 800MHz modules. I read a couple of reviews by a guy who tested 2GB 800MHz modules in a MAC notebook (also Intel Santa Rosa), and these ones worked, contrary to other modules. Obviously the memory will be used at 667MHz, but I hope 800MHz modules will have beter CL timings at 667MHz than standard 667MHz modules. With a 32 bit Vista you will see 3GB, not 4GB of memory! With a 64bit Vista you would see the full 4GB, however some of my software can not run on a 64bit Vista.

I've put the two 250GB disks in a raid-1 set, since i'm more concerned about the safety if my data than about disk capacity. I've plenty of external storage.

8. Evoss

Evoss Newbie

Reputations:
    that laptop what you have bought is perfect !!!
    you will be satisfied on 100% !
    you have everithing there for low price ! remember !
    all connections best resolution you will not need nothing else ( mean laptop)

9. Evoss

Evoss Newbie

Reputations:
    what? it cant be bossible that HD 2700 is worst than X1800?
    and what about x1900 then ?

10. Evoss

Evoss Newbie

Reputations:
    That procedure with keyboard helps me so much !!! BIG THANKS ! :)
    I own Amilo Xi1554 and there are 6 clips wich they holds k.board...
    there was a mes blee... :) I cleaned up whole k.board :)

and that RAM what you wrote: of course that you wil never see 4GB of ram on 32bit vista or XP ...
    you seen on 64bit full 4GB because that32 dont support 4 GB
    Because manufacturers putting like 3GB + 1GB turbo memory...
    Because they have licensed 32bit like standard op.system...
    I've seen sony laptop there vas on label written 4GB and for me it was strage so I checked copmp. info and there was 3GB no 4...