AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris/Navi GPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
  2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The refreshed Alpha 15's cooling system is actually holding up pretty good while gaming. I found that the CPU maxed out around 92C and the GPU would stay around 77C. The palm rest and keyboard was comfortable for the duration.

It would be great if temperatures could be further reduced. I think since this model is in the mid-range segment they have a limited budget on the cooling engineering. The three heatpipes on the CPU side are a pretty good size but I think may be slightly smaller than what is used on the Eluktronics RP-17, for instance. The copper block between the die and heatpipes may also not be as large. I want to eventually do a repaste / repad job so I know there is good even die contact. It is harder to pinpoint issues because I do not think each core reports its temperature.

Rage Set likes this.
  3. ajc9988

Reputations:

Edit:
    https://imgflip.com/i/4l7hdc

My thoughts on coming releases:
    Intel's rocket cutting 2 cores so 8 core tops, with around 18% IPC, just brings back to back and forth, but with no real competitor to the 12 and 16 core on multi threaded workloads.

Then, when Intel drops their new chips, AMD does the 5600 non-X and a 5700X, undercuts the pricing of Intel's 4, 6, and 8 core offerings, which still have to price relative to AMD's, and maybe even slide the 5800x from $450 to $400 or $420, and Intel will have very little room to play with on price. Basically backing Intel into a corner and limiting sales.

And on top of that, drop a Zen 3 TR when Intel releases mainstream to take all steam out of their announcement, like how Intel tried to talk about rocket lake and was ignored by the 6000 series GPU announcement.

Intel just won't be able to catch a break until alder lake. And even then, that is going to have a new generation of Zen to also deal with.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    Aivxtla and raz8020 like this.
  4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, but 80 degrees C is not exactly a big deal for the GPU to tolerate (and its still 8 degrees lower than NV reducing max gpu temp with Turing uArch).
    Also, Dell is hardly the best example... they're notorious for relatively bad cooling implementations - heck, they also seem to think its a good idea to let newest CPU's run close to 110 degrees C (which is right up to their maximum limit).

In regards to 'jokebooks' operating with 75/78 C as a throttling point... that's just a bad cooling design and hw implementation (and I tend to steer clear of those).

OEM's really need to pull their heads out of the sand and start re-designing cooling assemblies with better materials and modern methods. The existing heatsink/fan design has largely remained unchanged for decades... its absurd.

My PH517-61 with a desktop ryzen 2700 doesn't go over 72/73 degrees C, and the Vega 56 (limited to 120W TDP) doesn't exceed 65 degrees C (that's with both CPU and GPU fully stressed to the max at the same time for extended periods).

Sure, I have a 17" chassis with a cooling specifically designed to accommodate AMD hw (Intel version of Predator Helios on the other hand does come with thermal issues)... temps on the GPU are lower than on the CPU, but the margin is about 10 degrees difference... whereas on most other laptops it seems to go over 20 degrees and allowing the CPU to run almost to its maximum.

I'd think that most 15 inch laptops would have the capacity to not allow both CPU and GPU to exceed 85 and 80 degrees C when fully maxed out... the rest is mostly down to OEM cooling implementation methodologies (the quality of which seems to have dropped severely on various fronts).

5. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  6. ajc9988

Reputations:
    I recently added her channel, but am still feeling out the channel before I started sharing it. But so far, definitely seems good.