AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris/Navi GPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Case in point, OEM's CAN design cheap laptops that are of decent quality if they bothered to do so.
    Too much cutting corners with 0 regards to quality... and that $10 more usually translates to $30-$50 more for the consumer because OEM's love to over-inflate everything (even though it probably wouldn't have added much/anything to the overall cost).

Papusan likes this.
  2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Remember, Dell is the OEM that didn't want to expand AMD offerings for Epyc 2 AT ALL. They wound up having to expand it by 3X because Epyc 2 was that good, and Intel just didn't really have anything to compete with the 64- core offerings, among the rest of the server line.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Dell OEM was one of the few that have support AMD the last years. One of the few who put in AMD graphics in their models before AW went fully BGA

See also... https://twitter.com/AzorFrank/status/1268657743482757122?s=20

It's a brand new technology and to "@dell credit they jumped on it first"

raz8020 likes this.
  4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, it just looks to me Dell is too lazy (or incapable) when it comes to designing decent laptop cooling, so they are using those specs to justify ridiculous temperatures which more often than not can cause problems.
    Sorry, but I'm not accepting their poor standards.

raz8020 likes this.
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They may have decided to 'support AMD', but you have to admit their 'execution' in the said department is lacking (to say the least).
    It wouldn't surprise me if they intentionally did this to 'discredit' AMD. Showcase a laptop with all AMD hw, but oh wait look, its going up to 100 degrees C...
    What do people usually say when they see that and relatively poor performance?
    'AMD is hot, loud and a mess'... and that's pretty much it.

Of course, in light of 0 evidence to support the idea that DELL did this intentionally to discredit AMD, its a mere hypothesis - plus, DELL was called out on this when comparing the temps to other units which have better cooling designs, but some idiots would indeed jump to 'AMD sucks' bandwagon anyway without examining the details.

raz8020 likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    As I said... Dell was one of the very few outside Apple to support graphics cards from AMD. A cheaper choice. None of the other OEMs offered AMD graphics in laptops around 2013-2015.
    upload_2020-6-15_4-34-40.png

The flock of sheep (all other OEMs) will follow after.

electrosoft and raz8020 like this.
  7. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    When it came to the server side, Azor did not call the shots. Literally, Dell's had of that department said they would not expand Epyc offerings. He had to come out and eat his words. I don't care if Azor liked AMD and is now working for them. You are wrong about the server side.

As to now, really couldn't care less. Since I went back to building desktops and am looking at building a water cooled server rack, I'd pick up some cheap laptop whenever my current P770ZM dies.

I'm pricing out a water block, another 4u and 2u chassis, a wheel based server rack, rails, etc. Home servers and figuring the best way to run cables to other rooms for HDMI and USB is what I'm looking into. With 20in fans for the 480mm rads.

https://www.itpro.co.uk/server-storage/33538/dell-set-to-triple-its-amd-server-offering

Before this, the same VP was emphatic saying they would not expand offerings. This is what I was getting at.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

raz8020 and Papusan like this.
  8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hopefully not all of them.
    Acer could very well decide to make yet another version of Helios 500 with Zen 2 or Zen 3 and RDNA 2 for example (but this time with all RAM slots on the easily accessible side)... or hopefully (at least) release a BIOS update for PH517-61 so it could support Zen2/3.

Eluktronics certainly isn't following DELL.
    The RXT 2060 in Eluktronics is boosting to 110W (10W more than what 5600M's maximum is rated at), and max temps don't seem to exceed 85 degrees Celsius, whereas the 4800H goes up to 88 degrees Celsius during maxed out workloads (I think).

Asus on the other hand does allow the 4800H and HS versions to go up to 90 degrees Celsius - MSI Bravo 17 though allows 4800H to go up to 95 degrees Celsius.
    Asus is certainly better than DELL, but those high temps aren't going to do any favors to the motherboard and other components in the long run (same for the MSI Bravo).

Mind you, they're doing basically the same with Intel CPU's... but DELL is certainly giving Intel more options.

What are the chances DELL would issue a recall of existing units they sold and retrofit the G5 SE 15 with proper cooling?
    My educated guess would be 'very low' to 'non-existent'. At best they may issue a BIOS mod which would prevent the CPU from boosting (which would certainly help the thermals - but obviously, you lose performance as a result - in fact, the 5600M in DELL is already only drawing between 70-80W, not 90-100W as it should - Azor himself confirmed it).

Papusan likes this.
  9. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    On a different note, here's Navi 12 with HBM2. Custom built for Apple, though, and it seems to be in mobile-only flavor.
    (I'd post this in the AMD RDNA GPU thread, but I found it hasn't had a post for a few months.)

ajc9988 likes this.
  10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hm...
    That's just 5600M with 8GB HBM2 and lower boost clocks than standard 5600M, resulting in 50W TBP (which is really good).
    It may be voltage optimized too... I wonder what its performance is like.