AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris/Navi GPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Sorry, show me the data collection or at least the collection policy to prove its validity, otherwise it is just a best guess at best. Also it i just one etailer. do you have NOTHING to back your claims. No one else here will back up your obviously weak statements I just donot know what cloud you head is burried in, wait is it a company called AMD getting your nose all brown?

Edit I mean come on, no one can keep the 3960x in stock, ( the most problematic of the TR's), and the only one right now getting price gouged. How much more obvious do you need? Are you going to argue next you no longer need to breath air or drink water as you have found other ways to consume them?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Have you heard yet? The Threadripper 3990x is amazing...:D

AMD Threadripper 3990X Scores Another Win: We Test New SPECWorkstation 3 Update
    Calling all speedfreaks
    By Paul Alcorn 2 days ago
    https://www.tomshardware.com/features/amd_threadripper_3990x-spec-workstation_3-performance-update

"The SPECwpc subcommittee has announced a new version of the SPECworkstation 3 benchmark for workstations to accommodate processors with more than 64 threads.

That move certainly benefits the only workstation-class x86 processor with more than 64 threads in a single socket: AMD's monstrous 64-core 128-thread Threadripper 3990X. We decided to put the new release to the test to see the full threaded might of the 3990X in action, and the results are impressive.

Upsetting the semiconductor industry is hard, particularly when you're fighting an entrenched and much-larger rival, and sometimes things get broken when you're redefining an industry.

In AMD's case, those broken things consist of operating systems and applications that weren't tuned to extract the full performance of its fledgling first-gen Zen architecture, let alone the core-heavy designs of Zen 2.

The 64-core 128-thread Threadripper 3990X is the best example because it more than doubles the number of cores available with Intel's halo workstation parts and sets an entirely new bar for single-socket systems.

Windows 10 splits cores up into 'processor groups' of 64 threads apiece, so some applications and benchmarks that aren't tuned to span across the groups don't benefit from the increased thread count..."

...a lot more good detail at the article link above...

3990x at 4.4 GHz on custom loop. Not sure if I got a golden chip or these things are just nuts. 33140 on CB R20
    r/Amd u/jimmy9800 10 hours ago
    hwbot.org/submis...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/fbogsd/3990x_at_44_ghz_on_custom_loop_not_sure_if_i_got/

jimmy9800 10 hours ago
    "Right now (according to HWbot anyway) I have the world record in non-exotic cooling. Neat!"
    https://hwbot.org/submission/436660...benchmate_ryzen_threadripper_3990x_33140_pts/

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Just in case someone forgot to do their RMA, the time is running out...

PSA: If you bought a Ryzen 1000 series CPU at launch, test it for the segfault bug before the warranty expires this month
    r/Amd Posted by u/chithanh 15 hours ago
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/fblhta/psa_if_you_bought_a_ryzen_1000_series_cpu_at/

"If you bought a Ryzen 1000 at launch in March 2017, the 3-year warranty which AMD provides for boxed CPUs is almost up. Many of the Ryzen 1000 produced before week 33 in 2017 are affected by the segfault bug which manifests primarily in Linux when compiling software, but reportedly also during certain other tasks such as XML processing.

Testing for the segfault issue can be done through the kill-ryzen.sh script from GitHub. This script will run under Linux natively, and also under Windows with WSL or inside a Linux VM.

One thing to note, Ryzen CPUs that people got back from segfault RMAs appear to be much better overclockers than what they originally had. So it might be a good idea to RMA even if you do not normally use Linux."

Mikedebian 13 hours ago
    "I did an RMA on my 1800x (In this case, the supplier was AMD) and all I had to do was send the CPU back and I got a new one in return."

Jimmymassacre 7 hours ago
    "I did the same thing and had the same result. It was the smoothest RMA process I've ever had."

pullupsNpushups 14 hours ago
    "I was just thinking about this recently. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to RMA it, but I do have sentimental feelings for this CPU. I'll have to think about it."

...further information on running the test, gotcha's and solutions in the thread...

5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Another gem from Level1Techs, this time on the 3990x...he covers his in depth work with the 3990x on Linux / Windows seeing what optimizations can be used to improve "scores" and performance - he refers to a patch by Linus (Torvalds) to Linux I posted a while back that reduced the number of context switches by an order of magnitude which really improves performance with high core count CPU's like the 3990x.

AMD: 3990X And The Unbenchmarkable
    Feb 17, 2020
    Level1Techs
    3990x Article: https://www.level1techs.com/article/t...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  6. TANWare

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  7. TANWare

Reputations:
    well you only need do with a 3960x to kill all gen 2. As far as 1400 to 500 you have to talk overall system cost. When we are talking about going this high end the cost difference is not that high. I have a 1950x as fast as any 2950x. I do not need a upgrade at all, just wanted one before but no longer. Again used deals are another story.

Edit; Amazon has 680 for the 2950x so some etailers are realizing they need to discount them.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  8. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Interestingly even though Amazon is sold out of 3960x's, it isn't on the "best seller" list anymore. So they got stock and it actually sold less, lol. I'm going to chalk that up as an unreliable source. Having said that, B&H and others still have some stock. Hard to spend more than double on both the board and the CPU just to go with a 3960x though...

hmscott and tilleroftheearth like this.
  9. TANWare

Reputations:
    As far as if you are going TR, it is not too hard. Now a super discounted overall 2950x where that is all you will ever need before retiring it, ok. problem there is most people do not plan on early system retirements.

I just have to add en edit; If they left x399 compliance in that $500 x2950 now would be a killer deal dropping in a 3960x a couple of years down the line in.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    custom90gt likes this.
  10. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:

Some musings from Adored on upcoming Big Navi. Based on his extrapolations, should see it competing with 3000 series from NV. (50% faster than 2080Ti) I also gather this was recorded before 20.2.2 was released since he's still ranting about fixing drivers. :D

hmscott likes this.