AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris/Navi GPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It might be best to wait for the other shoes to drop, when AMD does the next round of releases later this year...

Why throw good money after bad (x299) on an expired technology, when AMD will crank out new Zen generational CPU's like clockwork.

Save up for the good stuff coming next from AMD instead. Today's AM4 / sTR4 will discount as new technology is released, either save money on the stuff you want now then, or get the new stuff.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    for 16 core 99% of use can live with dual channel. There are times quad channel is required. So I can see the point of a TR over the 3950x.

3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Blower cooler, so it was a reference model. Price ending in .96 means it was open box and being marked down so significantly means it had probably been sitting on the shelf for months. The RTX 2080 I bought a while back was marked the same way. No reaction to "panic" here, just a retail outlet doing what retail outlets do in order to move old inventory. Dude got a great deal, and I hope it works for him, but let's not read more into it than what likely actually happened.

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    That all was clear from my text and the "Clearance" listing on the receipt, no surprises there. If you had gone to the link I gave for his reddit posting, you would have also heard it from him:

haahaahaa 6 hours ago
    "Yeah, I meant to put open box in the title. Not sure when this card was $299 new, but that's the list price with the open box discount taking it to $240."

My point wasn't to look for "driver panic" sales - that's what I named it - I certainly didn't expect retailers to name it that nor did I expect anyone would think that from what I wrote. And, given the driver problems where inexperienced owners give up and return the GPU, Open Box sales are a great way to benefit from the situation.

My point was that now is a good time to look for sales because the sales have likely decreased for the RX 5700 / RX 5700xt during the driver problems, but now that it looks like AMD is beginning to get a handle on the fixes, the prices will likely start going up again - discounts end.

When sales volume picks back up again the sellers won't have to offer discounts any longer, it might already be happening:

ASRock AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Is Seriously Cheap at $360
    By Jeremy Laird 10 days ago
    $50 off and just possibly the cheapest new 5700 XT available today
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/Asrock-AMD-Radeon-RX-5700-XT-deal

That discount is now down to $30 right now:
    https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeon-rx-5700-xt-rx-5700-xt-challenger-d-8g-oc/p/N82E16814930020

That's the twin fan model, the good news is that the 3 fan model is $50 off:
    https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeon-rx-5700-xt-rx-5700-xt-taichi-x-8g-oc/p/N82E16814930022

Usually sales happen and the throng of people clear them out before you can get to them - it still might happen with these sales - but now that fewer people are looking due to being distracted by the transient situation of driver problems, now's the time to shop.

After a few weeks and months of declining sales the discounts come out, when the problem is resolved and people start buying the RX5700 / RX5700xt GPU's again, there'll be no need for discounts.

If you didn't get that from what I was saying before, then I'm happy to clarify it for you now.

Here's another 5700xt blower at Microcenter, and it doesn't say it's an open box sale, but it is already sold out. It might be worth a call to your local store to ask if they are going to restock it or if there are any other 5700xt / 5700's on discount - open box or not:

Sapphire Technology Radeon RX 5700 XT Single-Fan 8GB GDDR6 PCIe Video Card
    $319.98 SAVE $64.00 $255.98
    https://www.microcenter.com/product...-5700-xt-single-fan-8gb-gddr6-pcie-video-card

It might already be too late to catch the best "driver panic" discounts, but it's still worth a try...:cool:

5. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    And who says TRX40 also isn't EOL after Zen 3? Wouldn't that fit your good after bad statement?

Two years on TR, after all.

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    But, people are still buying TR1/TR2 at great price discounts after TR3 has released, and the same goes for ThreadRipper 3 CPU's and motherboards that will be available at a discount when ThreadRipper 4 comes out.

Maybe the next generation Zen CPU's on AM4 will also bump up the throughput against the current best 3900 / 3950x? That might reduce sales on the ThreadRipper 3 and cause them to discount pricing after the next generation AM4's are released.

Maybe AMD will release the TRX80 model with new CPU's that have even higher memory size and throughput, and draw a bunch of sales from the TR3 camp - reducing demand and therefore prices again.

Given we haven't heard anything about TRX80 / WRX80 maybe AMD is holding back that memory bandwidth increase for the next generation ThreadRipper 4 - who knows?

In any case, as long as you can get the sparkle out of your eye's from the latest generation Threadripper, good deals can be had on the TR1/TR2 generations - save money and get the performance you wanted back when they weren't affordable.

And, the same goes for TR3 when TR4 comes out, I'm sure it will be a similar situation. TR4 will be expensive, and TR3 discounts will make them price competitive. So if you can remember that you wanted TR3 when it wasn't affordable to you, and that level of performance is still enough for you - the price discounts should be worth the wait?

I guess if TR4 is way better and not much more expensive it might be hard to pull the trigger on something you can afford vs dreaming about something that's much faster that you can't afford.

Of course you could always wait for TR5 to come out and then you could by TR4 cheap! Then again TR5 will be even faster again...

Just buy what you can afford when you need it, and if it works for your needs right then it's worth it.

Be happy with what you have, that's the only thing you've got. ;)

7. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    At this point until TR4 and/or TR5 are out I will not trust any statement on compatibility. That boat has sailed for AMD. TRX80 and WRX80 are pipe dreams at best right now too. Because of how AMD treated the enthusiasts with x399 people are very Leary to sink any faith in TR, AMD or TRX40 and rightfully so.

ajc9988 likes this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Maybe AMD should try what Samsung does with their drivers...:)

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/notice-nvme-driver/
    upload_2020-2-29_11-14-46.png

jc_denton and ajc9988 like this.
  9. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There is always the waiting game and people could always save for what is next. The used x299/x399 stuff is at their value point right now. X299 would be faster than X399, especially with audio transcoding. I know you're biased against x299 or any other intel platform, but 12-16 cores at 5GHz is no slouch, regardless of what you want to believe. Sure it's not as fast in SOME workloads as a 24-36 core TR3 setup, but for the majority of my tasks it's going to be as fast.

You go on to say "Just buy what you can afford when you need it, and if it works for your needs right then it's worth it." Exactly, this is where x299 and x399 are right now. It's just a shame that AMD doesn't want to release a more affordable TR3 processor.

ajc9988 and hmscott like this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    Yup, buy what you need when you need it, but you do need to consider what you are buying :)

Noone needs to buy an Intel CPU with all the security patches and future problems, it's a known bad situation that I can't imagine anyone desiring to acquire.

I dislike Intel CPU's for a rational reason, I dislike Intel for their poor stewardship of technology, Intel has squandered their power and place and let down everyone with their results.

That was before we found out that Intel's CPU's are poorly designed and have a crap bag full of failures all wrapped up into an overheating overpriced mess.

People that depended on Intel time after time have been let down and those buyers are not happy to continue using Intel and are looking for alternatives.

It's a great time for AMD + other CPU designers to make their mark in the giant hole Intel has opened for them.

If you want to ignore all of that I don't understand, but then again people do a lot of things I don't understand. It's like they can ignore the obvious failures and allow the sparkling marketing to sell them anyway.

Nvidia is worse, they could have made the 2xxx GPU's into better and faster GPU's for gaming and other work and built dedicated AI hardware, each for their own work.

Instead Nvidia used their marketing power over people to ram RTX / DLSS half-baked down their throats, wasting 50% of the silicon on circuits that don't get used in more than a few games - and even then most people will turn RTX / DLSS off to get better FPS at the resolution they want to run.

4k gaming was likely right there in the real estate made available by that silicon, and Nvidia squandered their opportunity, leaving us all down and yet still expecting us to spend far more money than the performance delivers.

Simple, obvious things that people are completely mind-fogged over, and actually fight to defend those company's mistakes.

Even if there are no good alternatives, buying those things - to me - is a waste of money and encouraging their bad behavior. It's good money after bad.

Instead I'd get a part-time "lawn mowing" job to earn the extra to get the ThreadRipper 3 and avoid getting stuck with the x299 solution.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your x299. :)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020