AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris/Navi GPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    More has to be fixed from their QC and test department.

[​IMG]
    Asus blames AMD for overheating ROG Strix RX 5700 Series cards notebookcheck.com | Today

In an unusual move, Asus shifted blame for its overheating ROG STRIX 5700 series graphics cards to AMD, claiming the GPU maker's mounting pressure guidelines delivered inadequate mounting force.

Source(s)
    Asus

2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    As to this, I'm betting Asus is just trying to save face. They should have found ways to properly cool it in the design phase and materials selection. This is trying to pass the Buck when other companies didn't have this issue.

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is odd to me as well.
    I mean, Asus is the one making third party designs of the GPU's... and AMD's guidelines being one thing, shouldn't OEM's do their own testing to see what actually works for them?
    It would be rather dumb to start producing a product that wasn't properly tested when you designed it's cooling.
    AMD merely supplied the chips, did they not?
    Asus and other OEM's incorporate the cooling, etc.

So, yeah, it DOES seem like Asus is trying to save face.

This also kinda goes to show that some OEM's apparently don't do independent testing to optimise the GPU's from the get go (such as modifying the voltages correctly to drop power draw on stock, etc.).

ajc9988 likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Asus has left reality at this point. Teardowns of their 5700xt cards - one I was interested in the Strix 3-fan, shows no connection between the heatplate and the VRAM memory - Asus left too much unconnected / cooled and their memory temps were the highest of all the AIB cards.

None of the other AIB cards were as bad, and most had full coverage of the memory.

You can't have mounting force if there is no coverage of the parts, and that part is on common sense, and Asus. :)

The GPU cooling recommendations from AMD were based on using the solid substrate carbon pad - if you remove the pad and substitute paste that reduces the height of the GPU contact so you need to account for that difference. That's the washer fix as documented by many reviews where they replaced the pad with paste - like when putting on water coolers.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  5. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    This would be a repeat of the DCII edition of the GTX580. No vram connections, no vram mini heatsinks, high memory temps and above average memory fail rate.

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    It boggles the mind how Asus managed to flub up like that again...

And then to try to blame it on AMD, sheesh!! :rolleyes:

Here's Hardware Unboxed's Asus ROG Strix 5700xt critique I was referring to in my other post - this one covers the mounting pressure caused by poor design by Asus:

Asus Strix Fix, Another Defective Radeon RX 5700 XT
    Jan 9, 2020
    Hardware Unboxed

kaizer5lock 1 month ago
    Apple: "You're holding it wrong"
    ASUS: "You're mounting it wrong"

games geek 1 month ago
    "I had the strix version and was waiting for the bios fix since release but the card was running very hot and I couldn't take it any longer so I sold it and got the gaming x model from msi, Happy that I did considering what was mentioned in this video. I didn't spend enough time with the card to notice the heatsink issue but I can assure you that mine was definitely affected."

Here's a short (15 sec) video showing the Asus Strix 5700xt independent movement of the layers even though it's tightened down, amazing:

Asus rog strix rx 5700 xt bolts to long and not holding down heat sync
    Dec 30, 2019
    Vernon Ray
    Asus rog strix rx 5700 xt bolts to long and not holding down heat sync and causing vram to over heat and reboot pc

Comprehensive coverage of all the known issues:

Why you should not buy a Strix 5700 XT just yet. Please help Asus South Africa and Evetech
    Jan 10, 2020
    Something Amazing
    This week we take a look at the small but massive manufacturing flaw in the Strix 5700 XT that have led to poor cooling and performance of these cards. Thanks to Hardware Unboxed for confirming our and many others suspicions as to what the actual problem was.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Papusan likes this.
  7. Chastity

Reputations:
    @hmscott Glad I decided to choose the Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT on my new build :) I did buy an Asus motherboard tho. It was too sexy not too; it has the same finish as my previous Rampage III Black Edition. It's the Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi.

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    The Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi and Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT are great choices :)

Hardware Unboxed covers the situation...

Asus Officially Fixes The 5700 XT Strix, But Blames AMD For Their Mistake
    Feb 20, 2020
    Hardware Unboxed

Pinned by Hardware Unboxed
    Hardware Unboxed 1 hour ago
    "Asus has already changed the wording of their article and removed the graph: https://rog.asus.com/articles/gamin...g-strix-radeon-rx-5700-series-graphics-cards/"

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  9. Chastity

Reputations:
  10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    How are drivers working for you btw?
    Any issues?

@hmscott

Just out of curiosity, how are the Palit Navi GPU's in regards to brand, cooling etc?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2020
    hmscott likes this.