AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris/Navi GPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    RX 5900 XT Specs LEAK - Double Performance + Ray Tracing?!

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    AMD has responded and confirmed the supposedly new AMD coolers are Fakes, and I updated my original response:

AMDeepfakes? AMD Confirms 6-Pipe Wraith Prism Coolers Are Counterfeit
    By Zhiye Liu 13 hours ago
    For a knockoff, the six-heat pipe Wraith Prism sure looks real.
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/counterfeit-amd-wraith-prism-coolers-are-entering-the-market

"...AMD has confirmed that the Wraith Prism cooler with six heat pipes that recently showed up on XFastest is a knockoff. At the current time, the chipmaker has no plans to release a revised version of the Wraith Prism."
    An update...do the same as I did above check out the card's product page, download the new Vbios Firmware / instructions, and make sure the card with updated firmware and specifications give's you what you want before buying. See these videos for variations on the 5600xt by make / model, and make sure you are getting a card that performs and costs the way you want and expect before buying it:

News Corner | Not All RX 5600 XTs Get GDDR6 VBIOS Boost, AMD Stuffs Up Launch
    Jan 24, 2020
    Hardware Unboxed
    News Topics:
    00:00 - Lingering Radeon RX 5600 XT Launch Issues
    06:55 - EVGA RTX 2060 KO Hides TU104
    08:48 - AMD Improves Wraith Prism Box Cooler
    [Update - AMD says they are Fake Coolers and are not by AMD ]

09:56 - Intel to Introduce ATX12VO Power Supply Spec
    11:24 - Various Intel Rumors

AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT: A Good GPU Today, But What About Tomorrow?
    Jan 24, 2020
    Digital Foundry
    Yes, there''s been the whole 'bait and switch' BIOS update situation but is the question we need to be answering more fundamental? With next-gen console features not in first-gen Navi, is it time to consider future-proofing in your GPU purchase? Should you consider the price-cut RTX 2060 or maybe the best strategy of all is just to wait a little while in what is a big transition period for gaming?

IDK about doing this, but I know a lot of people have done this with various AMD GPU's, so be careful, YMMV, no warranty expressed or implied. o_O

How to Flash your RX 5700 into a 5700 XT - FREE Performance! (with benchmarks vs 5600 XT / 5700 XT)
    Jan 23, 2020
    Tech YES City
    If you have an RX 5700, then it's most likely that there is the same tier model above it in an RX 5700 XT form, and if so you will be able to force flash that into an "RX 5700 XT" (using atiflash which I will show you how to fully do in today's how to/ tutorial). This will grant you performance somewhere in between that of a regular 5700 and a 5700 XT (though more on the side of the 5700 XT). So in order to do this we need a few small apps and some command prompt commands :).

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    Very interesting details, looking forward to the rest of his many video's on this subject...

How AMD Radeon Sabotages Itself & Its Partners: Development Timelines & Failures

Jan 26, 2020
    In this video, we're talking about AMD's VBIOS change for the RX 5600 XT and how it has more deeply impacted its supply chain than we previously discussed. We're using this opportunity to recap the manufacturing supply chain and product development timelines, alongside some memory overclocking concerns (e.g. going from 12Gbps to 14Gbps and the impact that has on production). AMD's Radeon division keeps sabotaging itself and its partners, and to help illustrate how the VBIOS change does that, we've recapped the manufacturing process.

IDK why Steve doesn't just make a positive effort instead of playing the drama queen on this. It's not helpful.

The reason AMD did this firmware update after the fact is because Nvidia drastically dropped the price of some of their 2060's, down $50+ after the configurations had been set, and that torpedoed AMD's 5600XT release.

Fortunately AMD had left OC headroom in this release so they had another alternative other than also dropping their prices to match Nvidia's drop. Is it a PIA to deal with this, yes of course, and it will vary depending on the vendor.

AMD could have dropped the price of the 5600XT but it wouldn't have been the right decision, as AMD had plenty of OC room left in the 5600XT and was "hotter" than it's performance slot between the 5500XT and 5700, so the best choice was to enable the performance reserved for OC for everyone.

This is one of those great examples of why AMD needs to continue to release their CPU's and GPU's at full performance - don't withhold any performance from users leaving OC potential. Sorry, OC sport enthusiasts :)

I hope Gamers Nexus is going to have Steve go through 5600XT's make by make and model by model and test the vendor downloadable firmware update + VRAM OC as recommended by the vendor, and then put out episodes building a chart of all the options for potential owners with price / performance.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah, you all should blame AMD for this one:) Give out halfbaked will turn back on you if the competitors have a better value out already (performance). If they can’t lower prices then increase performance:) Before release!

5. hmscott

Reputations:
    AMD were between a rock and a hard place, and the best decision is the one they made, but it's going to take work to manage it, and buyers will have some research to do to get what they want at the price they want it.

The Nvidia 2060 price was changed after the AMD 5600XT was all ready to go, you do know that right?

Nvidia did what they always try to do, screw up AMD releases, and this time is one of Nvidia's better psyops, causing the physical re-work needed in China to switch to the new specifications for new cards ready to ship.

But, you won't blame Nvidia even though Nvidia clearly is the cause of AMD's dilemma, because you always look for something to cry about AMD. :confused:

Also, did you note, Steve says the 5600xt has the highest sell rate through his channel affiliations - so at least real people that want and need the card are figuring out what to do.

Hopefully Steve will cry it out soon and start doing helpful content to all those people that bought their 5600xt's through his channel, and all those that still want to buy a 5600xt. It's really not that hard.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    images.jpg

(All right, more like 4-1/2 hours later, but the point stands.)

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is something that was posted by a notebookcheck poster a few days ago, noting how OEM's (such as Lenovo) sabotage AMD laptops in regards to cooling (at least when it comes to APU's:

It certainly illustrates how long standing AMD OEM 'partners' can gimp modern Ryzen laptops with previous iterations of Zen (1 and+).

This certainly gets me quite irked about general OEM behaviour.
    Either they choose to pair the APU with single-channel RAM, slow components, lower quality hw in general, lower capacity batteries, but charge same or higher vs a comparable Intel system is just plain absurd.

I was under the impression that Intel bribery was supposed to be over. How are the OEM's getting away with this nonsense to this day?

Designing 'thin and light' systems with 15-28W TDP APU's is not exactly a problem if you modify the cooling to accommodate such a design in the first place.

One notable mention in a high performance laptop (aka desktop replacement) would be the GL702ZC which suffers from too high noise and a clear indication that Asus cut corners in regards to cooling despite having a massive 17 inch chassis to work with.

This IS the 21st century... so why aren't most empty spaces inside a laptop part of a cooling assembly which lower the ambient temperature? Its not like its impossible to 'stretch' the cooling assembly to accommodate that.

Also, OEM's should be VERY clear which TDP parts are inside which units, and HOW are they configured.
    In many cases, even a 15W TDP constrained APU isn't really performing as it should (never-mind the fact we almost never see any APU's that go up to the rated 25-28W TDP).

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Timmy Joe set's out to recommend the 1070ti over the 5600xt, surprise twist...

TL;DW, get the 5600xt, flash BIOS update, OC, enjoy. :)

The 5600xt worth buying over a cheaper 8GB used GPU?
    Jan 29, 2020
    Timmy Joe PC Tech
    Can the new AMD Radeon 5600xt be the better buy over used cards like the GTX 1070ti? Gigabyte sent over their 5600xt gaming OC 6GB card for review and I was surprised at how good a value the 5600xt really is!

Another happy Navi Upgrader, happy *after* he used DDU to clean out old drivers in Safe mode:

Received my 5700DD Ultra yesterday. went from ultra blackscreening to perfectly working in 15mins
    submitted an hour ago by koriwi
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ew3xwr/received_my_5700dd_ultra_yesterday_went_from/

"Hi guys,

i destroyed my 1070 with some AIO watercooling experiments (successful in the end) and got an almost new xfx5700dd ultra for 265€. So far so good.
    Popped it in my (soon to be replaced) rig with 6700k and MSI Z170 Pro Carbon. Started the superposition benchmark to stress my new GPU and BOOM!
    The screen was more black than displaying superposition. And some weird horizontal artifacts, too.

So i restarted windows 10 into safemode after downloading DDU. Removed all nvidia drivers and removed all old AMD drivers which were automatically installed after installing the 5700.
    Restarted and immediately went into the bios. Set PCIe speed of slot 0 from auto to GEN3. Saved, rebooted into windows and installed newest drivers from AMDs website.

Now i started superposition again and everything was perfect.

In the beginning i was afraid to go for this card because of all the negative experiences people had and posted about. But if I'm stupid enough to crack a 1070 while jerry rigging my Liquid Freezer 2 280 to it, I'm also stupid enough to just go for it (jk). I have to admit i was a bit afraid when wittnessing the ominous black screen issues myself. But i wanted to give it a shot and try to fix it if i experience these issues myself. I just did the standard procedure and everything went fine :)

Trivia:
    WQHD 144Hz (no freesync capability) screen connected with DP."

kaisersolo 11 points 53 minutes ago
    "This guy gets its. Good Troubleshooting!"

How to FIX ALL RX 5700 / RX 5700XT Problems! | Easy Guide
    Jan 17, 2020
    Ancient Gameplays
    Hello people! I did something close to this before, but since SO MANY PEOPLE have been asking me what to do and complaining that their RX 5700/XT Cards weren't working properly, i decided to do a small video tutorial on HOW to fix all these problems, what least the most common ones ofc. Let me know what your experiences in the comment section!

HOW TO Adrenalin 2020 | AMD Radeon 2020 Drivers EXPLAINED (20.01.4) RX 5700XT
    Premiered Jan 12, 2020
    Ancient Gameplays
    Hello people! TODAY, after SEVERAL request from my viewers, i am finally DOING a video about "How to Adrenalin 2020". This is mostly a video about "this does that" and not a benchmark video. Hope you enjoy it :D Let me know what you think, in the comment section. Hope you enjoy the video. Comment with your thoughts about it. Don't forget to hit like, subscribe and share the video if you can.

How to Overclock / Undervolt AMD RX 5700 XT | Easy Guide Tutorial (AMD Wattman)
    Premiered Dec 5, 2019
    Hello people! Finally bringing you one of the awaited videos about RX 5700 XT! How to Overclock and Undervolt RX 5700 XT! This is a pretty simple "tutorial" that i hope helps someone. In case you have some doubts, simply leave them in the comment section :D Hope you enjoy the video. Comment with your thoughts about it. Don't forget to hit like, subscribe and share the video if you can.
    Download my 20.01.4 (Adrenalin 2020) Settings here: https://link-to.net/13644/RX5700XTSaf...
    Download my 20.01.3 (Adrenalin 2020) Settings here: https://up-to-down.net/13644/RX5700XT...
    Download my 20.01.2 (Adrenalin 2020) Settings here: https://link-to.net/13644/RX5700XTSaf...
    Download my 20.01.1 (Adrenalin 2020) Settings here: https://link-to.net/13644/RX5700XTSaf...
    Download my 19.12.2 (Adrenalin 2020) Settings here: https://link-to.net/13644/RX5700XT19122
    Download my 19.12.1 Settings here: https://link-to.net/13644/RX5700XT19121

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    New AMD certification suggests the “Nvidia Killer” Big Navi GPU release date is close

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/big-navi-release-date

Very interesting.
    It seems historically that after a new certification appears for an AMD gpu, the actual GPU becomes available for purchase about a month later.

We also know AMD is planning a refresh of existing Navi lineup... but there's some confusion in how its worded:

AMD Confirms Radeon Refresh With RDNA 2-Based Navi 7nm+ GPUs Landing In 2020
    https://hothardware.com/news/amd-confirms-radeon-navi-refresh-gpus-2020

"So, in 2019, we launched our new architecture in GPUs, it’s the RDNA architecture and that was the Navi based products. You should expect that those will be refreshed in 2020 and will have next generation RDNA architecture that will be part of our 2020 lineup..."

If I'm reading that accurately, the 'refresh' of existing Navi line could mean that it will actually sport the RDNA 2 uArch... or it just means existing RDNA 1 uArch on 7nm+ process... which wouldn't be much... unless it came with a big price cut (and of course RDNA 2 high end parts).

Wouldn't it be better for AMD to just focus all their attention on RDNA 2 and scale it appropriately?
    The 'refresh' would certainly be better if it had RDNA 2... which (if you ask me) makes more sense rather than rehashing older uArch.
    I mean, if you have a new uArch that's basically 'complete', just make a whole new GPU line with it.
    Refreshes of older uArch's on new processes (however minor) should probably be reserved if your new uArch isn't ready for release... but for AMD, they usually release higher end GPU's and then 'modify' them to cut our CU's or reduce clocks to create cheaper versions for mid and low range, so this shouldn't be much of a problem.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    hmscott likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeat, again not much for the notebooks.

[​IMG]
    Opinion | AMD confirms disappointing Radeon RX 5700M and RX 5600M specifications notebookcheck.net | Feb 3, 2020

AMD informed the world at CES 2020 that the Radeon RX 5700M and RX 5600M would be arriving in laptops in 1H 2020, but offered nothing in the way of other details about its flagship laptop GPUs. Now, the company has confirmed that both will feature 2,304 stream processors, 36 compute units and GDDR6 VRAM. There is a caveat with the latter though, and it could hand an advantage to NVIDIA. In short, AMD could have blown it with the Radeon RX 5700M and RX 5600M before they even come to market.

hmscott and tilleroftheearth like this.