AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris/Navi GPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Noted hype and speculation as a second part and that is all the talk of non market silicon.

tilleroftheearth and ajc9988 like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Given the recent x399 transition to TRX40, what about TRX80 / WRX80, how will compatibility play out with them and the ThreadRipper 3 CPU offerings?

In this case the rumored soon to arrive ThreadRipper 3 48 core 3980x and 64 core 3990x, will they be offered to be compatible on TRX40 - the current batch of ThreadRipper 3 motherboards?

I've seen a lot of video reviews of the current TRX40 ThreadRipper 3 3960x and 3970x mention getting ready for the 3990x as that's the one first rumored to be released, with them assuming that the 64 core ThreadRipper 3 is going to be compatible on TRX40 - and that they plan to upgrade to that 64 core ThreadRipper 3 CPU. That got me thinking...

Here's what was published in August of 2019 about the TRX80 and WRX80 motherboards at the same time as the TRX40:

AMD Readies Three HEDT Chipsets: TRX40, TRX80, and WRX80
    by btarunr Aug 29th, 2019 03:45 Discuss (53 Comments)
    https://www.techpowerup.com/258739/amd-readies-three-hedt-chipsets-trx40-trx80-and-wrx80

You can read the rest, but what caught my eye was the Chart listing CPU core count delineation between TRX40, TRX80, and WRX80:
    h2LLiycp30E2khI9.jpg
    Of course they got the x399 compatibility wrong, like most people did, but maybe they didn't get everything wrong.

If that Core-counts line is correct that means the TRX40 will stop with the 32 core 3970x, and the higher core count ThreadRipper 3 CPU's will be supported only by the TRX80 and WRX80 chipsets. There's no specifics on what the differentiation will be with the TRX80 and WRX80 chipsets.

All rumors, nothing is for sure, but perhaps don't count your TRX40 compatible CPU's before they ship. :)
    ---------------------------
    Well, this is what I expected...AMD simply didn't order enough production for the new Zen 3 sku's:

AMD confirms that Zen 2's supply issues were not a "TSMC Issue"
    AMD didn't order enough parts, it's as simple as that
    Source: Anandtech | Author: Mark Campbell Published: 31st December 2019
    https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp...zen_2_s_supply_issues_were_not_a_tsmc_issue/1

"...In a recent interview with Anandtech's Ian Cutress, AMD's CTO Mark Papermaster confirmed that Ryzen 3rd Gen's early supply issues "wasn't a TSMC issue", stating that demand outstripped what AMD had expected and planned for.

The long and short of this story is that AMD didn't order enough chips to meed the early demand for its Zen 2 processors. That was why AMD couldn't keep its processors in stock. Now, AMD's Ryzen supply issues are seemingly at an end. Presumably, this is thanks to larger wafer orders from AMD after Zen 2's early success. If TSMC couldn't supply enough chips, there would still be a shortage of Ryzen 3rd Generation processors. AMD's Zen 2 launch shortages were due to AMD underestimating demand. It's as simple as that."

Hopefully AMD is increasing their orders...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    (Possible) Relative performance of upcoming Zen 2 mobile parts from leaked Userbenchmark website:
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23316225

Compared to Ryzen 2700:
    https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/AMD-Ryzen-7-2700/Rating/3957

Compared to Ryzen 2700x:
    https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/Rating/3958

Now, if I'm reading those results accurately, the 4800u is between 2700 and 2700x in performance... in a supposed 15W TDP envelope (presumably configurable to 25W - lets hope that they don't intricately limit it to 15W though and allow the APU to spread itself to 25W if necessary).

If they pair this with 5600 XT mobile (which essentially has Vega 56 performance), then it would be a decent laptop (especially if paired with 3200MhZ RAM and proper cooling).

That still leaves the H APU's which have higher TDP (35W/45W?) and presumably higher clocks.

If this is accurate, then the mobile segment will get very interesting (if OEM's decide to use Zen 2 in the first place - which they hopefully will given that Intel's been having supply issues).

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    One more reason AMD could offer support for users with the old chipset.

I don’t trust any of this. In short... Apple got the needed waffers. Once they move on to new tech and AMD will get what they need.

“Since 2016, the Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) has been the exclusive supplier of Apple’s A-series chips and according to DigiTimes, the orders will go to the same foundry this year as well”

Saved by Apples move to 5nm https://wccftech.com/apple-tsmc-a14-bionic-5nm-production-q2-2020/

ajc9988 likes this.
  5. TANWare

Reputations:
    From what I see so far, 3960x and 3970x are starting to show up.With this the price gouging is starting to come down too. This is because neither chip is a direct upgrade so unless you are building a new machine the CPU will not be a hot seller. The up to 3950x is an upgrade option and sells accordingly. Even the 2990x was not a great seller as AMD HEDT was more about the I/O than CPU grunt.

As an example;
    3970x-msrp.jpg

Papusan and ajc9988 like this.
  6. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    On the first part, wholly agreed.

On the second part, I disagree to a degree. AMD knows it is the underdog. It also knows it only has a small market share. They did not think they could sell what they did. They also didn't expect the interest in their server chips to be so high, so all dies that qualify go directly to Epyc.

Either way, shows shortsighted predictions. They didn't properly order their wafers.

Now, if they move up Zen 3, that would be better than ordering more Zen 2 when supplies are so constrained already. I honk everyone would be cool with that, but not likely to happen.

Papusan likes this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    There's no reason to imagine any other possibilities what with AMD going public and taking the responsibility for their actions.

Apple's rumored 5nm iphone 12 production is supposed to happen in September 2020, 9 months from now. Do you really think Apple's 7nm TSMC needs will disappear instantly right now?

So you think AMD was covering for TSMC by taking the responsibility themselves? Why would AMD think that's needed?

So you are saying that AMD should have said that AMD ordered up to the maximum number of dies TSMC could produce for them on 7nm? To me that would have sounded less believable.

AMD must order / need far fewer 7nm wafers to be run by TSMC than Apple does. Even if AMD ordered as many 7nm wafers from TSMC as wanted by customers, Apple's needs would far outnumber AMD's needs.

So far AMD hasn't lied to us, why go out of your way to doubt them?

TSMC could certainly rebuke their explanation, but I have't seen TSMC put out any statement one way or the other.

Until I see a statement from a reliable source refute AMD's statements, I'll accept AMD's statement as the factual truth.

8. TANWare

Reputations:
    I believe AMD underordered 7nm with the 3900x etc.. This explains why the death of x399 was so sudden. AMD could not afford the 3960x being just an upgrade.

tilleroftheearth and ajc9988 like this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    FYI - AMD's CES 2020 presentation is starting in a few minutes from now... :)

AMD at CES 2020
    Unlisted
    8,070 waiting•Scheduled for Jan 6, 2020
    AMD
    Watch the AMD CES Media Days press conference and see how AMD will be pushing the limits of high-performance computing for 2020.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ts-video-articles.831509/page-2#post-10981079

Finally AMD is releasing CPU's and GPU's for laptops that might match the performance of their desktop products. Coming in 1H 2020, Asus G14 in February 2020, and Dell in Q2 2020:
    5600M and 5700M mobile GPUs in 1H 2020.jpg
    AMD U and H and Pro Market products for 4000 CPU's in 2020.jpg
    Asus G14 Zephyrus coming in Feb 2020.jpg
    AMD Smartshift - SOC? Optimization gives 10% performance improvement in games:
    AMD Smartshift SOC optimization gives 10 percent improvement in gaming.jpg
    Dell G5 SE Q2 2020
    DELL Laptop with all the new AMD technology in Q2 2020.jpg

ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 hands-on: Ryzen power in a light-up laptop
    Jan 6, 2020
    Engadget
    We've liked previous Zephyrus laptops well enough, but with the G14, Asus is working hard to stand out from the crowd. The new G14 packs a Ryzen 7 into a slim gaming chassis (albeit a down-clocked version of the 45 watt chip), and adds a unique LED grid to the laptops cover. This doesn't serve any performance purpose, but you can customize the lights with text, images, or even animated GIF. If you're looking to stand out at your next gaming get together, the Zephyrus G14 is sure to attract attention.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    jc_denton likes this.