AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris/Navi GPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    tilleroftheearth and Papusan like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's a constant cycle of large iron migrating into small form factors with each native IO being the differentiator. How do you get the data in / out quickly - large data sets and distributed computing vs localized computing and data - moving it inside and outside the physical boundaries with which IO can move quickest.

That's why AM4 needs to be upgraded next to allow the IO to catch up to the compute, just like TR4 was upgraded to TRX40 (/ TRX80?)

TB+ memory isn't really needed in AM4+ consumer, but HEDT TRX40 currently limited to 256GB can use it. Sun Servers with 64GB => 128GB => 256GB => doubled into 512GB 10+ years ago now.

From Honeywell, Burroughs, HP, DEC, and starting with Sun in 1981 in various installations for clients Sun was one of the reliable high points for many years growing out the Arpanet => Internet, and still is today through Oracle.

BBN Arpanet NP / IP/TCP, Packet Radio, Ethernet, Hyperchannel, Cray, CM, IBM AIX, Supercomputers, Sun, Apple, IOS, Android, all in under 40 years. With many times more stuff in between.

That's just it. The things we worked on 40+ years ago are being introduced as if they are new now to consumers, and it looks to most consumers like super fast paced innovation.

To me it's been a long drawn out introduction. And, after all that time you find that you have to have a lot of patience to watch technology roll out into the real world. It happens a lot more slowly than you first imagine.

We may have been very fortunate to be where we were when it happened, but moving forward it's everywhere for everyone, that's the best part about it. :)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    rlk likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    View attachment 180221
    Probably sent out everything they had in stock for reviews:vbbiggrin: Or try to collect up as many chips they can before the holidays. Run empty long time before Christmas is bad publicity.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    After the "intro" a little CPU history...

Threadripper 3960X / 3970X Review -- No Compromises. Multicore Monster!
    Nov 25, 2019
    Level1Techs
    https://www.level1techs.com/article/t...
    https://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...
    ++ BIG THANKS to Bryan Heemskerk @BryanHeemskerk for the great pixel art!!! Note: Some graphs accidentally say the 10980XE is 16 core. It is an 18 core CPU. There is also tearing in the graphs. We are working on fixing this for future videos. For better versions of the graph, you can go to the article in the description :) All information is there.

Common Linux / UNIX compatibility bug(s) on new hardware configurations - no entries for new hardware can cause unpredictable results - crash, simple kernel command line fix:

AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper 3000 Launch -- How's Linux?

(Live) AMD called Intel, but they didn't answer -- w/ Dr Ian Cutress
    Streamed live on Nov 25, 2019
    Level1Techs
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/15044/... L1: https://www.level1techs.com/article/t...

5. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    See:
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/obtaining-a-ryzen-9-3950x-is-near-impossible

Is anyone giving AMD a call? :rolleyes:

6. TANWare

Reputations:
    This was bound to happen. I said the 3950x would be the new golden hens tooth of the AM4 lineup. What I did not expect was an outright lie by AMD in stating the 3960x and 3970x would be available alongside the 3950x and the fact there are no such CPU's available anywhere. No one I can find has ever had them in stock, not a single one.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    I wonder if AMD will grab most of their best dies for their most expensive SKUs. Means 3950X will come last. This way they can sell more of their new High end Chipset as well. Less money in mainstream now because the new chips can be used with older MB. There is several ways up to Heaven (increased earnings):)

8. TANWare

Reputations:
    I do not know about that, while a few TRX40 boards are around it does not seem to be a flooded market. Since the chips are non existant I am sure the sales of boards are low, if the chip supply were plentiful then boards may become few and far between. While lack of TR2 is not speculative the reasoning is until AMD comes clean.

9. Papusan

Reputations:
    I expect there is several models of boards from each MB manufacturer and this is overwhelming vs amount chips.

Regarding the shortage of chips... It does not help to increase order volume for the time being. If it's tight now, then it won't be any better on short sight.

TSMC 7nm chip supply remains tight digitimes.com | Nov 26, 2019

TSMC continues to see its 7nm manufacturing processes run at full utilization, according to sources at fabless chipmakers who said new orders placed recently cannot be fulfilled at least until the middle of next year.

10. TANWare

Reputations:
    This could be a major issue for AMD as now where will the 3980x and 3990x be next year and then what about eventually zen3?