AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris/Navi GPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yeah, the hardware hobbyist part is all but dead. These now are more and more just like consumer devices. The tinkering is all but gone. Now to increase performance we are relegated to keeping the installs clean and bloatware free.

custom90gt likes this.
  2. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    <tongue-in-cheek> So you're saying you want AMD to do some product advertisement that they are one of the CPUs behind the extermination of all mankind? </tongue-in-cheek>

In all seriousness, cool video.

3. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Mostly, but not completely, true. Enthusiasts still do cooling mods, lapping, water cooling open loops, chillers. Etc. But silicon lottery is more important than ever and the variance between tweaking and not is a lot smaller.

TANWare likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    With their options for resources AMD had to choose where to put the 16c CPU and with Intel possibly releasing a 10c that might tickle the bottom of the 3900x 12c performance, for AM4 a Zen 2 16c topped anything Intel could offer.

With the PCIE 4.0 x570 AMD has backward / forward compatibility on AM4 for the consumer market while offering PCIE lane performance of an entry level HEDT configuration.

Splitting PCIE for additional feature options has been around for a long time, and even in the consumer market people often use riser cards for changing the mounting of GPU's and other "option" cards.

There's already been 2 16c CPU's in the ThreadRipper line and they are still available, and AMD is using the ThreadRipper 1/2 products for those that need PCIE lanes and can live without PCIE4.0 and Zen 2.
    Funny you should say that, I'm wondering how AMD will split compatibility vs funtionality for TRX40 and TRX80 - will the 3960x / 3970x work across both memory configurations with expanding functionality, or are they limited to TRX40 functionality - or worse not supported on TRX80.

And, will the higher core count CPU's offered with TRX80 work on TRX40.

I'm gonna guess it's what you said, they won't be cross compatible. But, that is pure speculation on my part for planning my own needs.

If a need fits TRX40 + 3960x / 3970x then a TRX80 upgrade path for that application wouldn't be *needed*, except maybe as a whole new build to add-on throughput.

The investment for a TRX80 + higher core count CPU build required for an application that *needs* that throughput would be in a whole 'nuther funding class beyond AMD TRX40 HEDT entry level.

If AMD has already segmented x570 => TRX40 I'd be surprised if AMD didn't do that for TRX40 => TRX80, as all are in much different budget class builds unto themselves.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  5. TANWare

Reputations:
    It is hard to speculate about compatibility of products that do not exist yet. I guess rumors are OK so long as certain people are creating or speculating about them.

hmscott and ajc9988 like this.
  6. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, there's already a precedent in the Ryzen space for multiple chipsets all supporting the same processors, with different levels of functionality. Perhaps the TRX80 will support more RAM or some such.

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    AMD has said that they found that for AM4 the wide range of core options across a long term AM4 socket with upgrade paths over years has worked for them.

While on HEDT they found the same wide range of Core count options wasn't as well supported by buyers. They wanted the best available in HEDT, buying the top 2 core counts and ignoring the rest.

Most likely the sales numbers of the 8c / 12c weren't anywhere near as high as the 16c / 32c, but enough of each of the 16c / 32c sold to keep one entry level and one top core count option moving forward.

I know when I go looking for a solution to a project computing need I am going to fit it to the need and not over buy or under buy what is needed, it's a narrow range - I have this much to spend on budget and no more - and the solution at least needs to evaluate against the applications need to deliver performance to solve today's need and as far out into the projects estimated lifespan for adequate performance.

There are times where if you put in a budget request the buyers will suggest the next level down - or up - in the build options to meet what they see as the need vs costs. Sometimes they can make a better buy on an item due to vendor relationships from other divisions you can't know about, and so you can bump up the model number a few levels if we need it.

So AMD covers a narrow range in TRX40 and likely TRX80, while offering consumers a wide range of choices to grow with.

AMD is sorting out and optimizing their product lines to meet customer needs against competitors offerings. That's what it looks like to me.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  8. TANWare

Reputations:
    So what to do when the 3980x and 3990x and they become the top two core counts appear?

hmscott likes this.
  9. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Yeah, he keeps repeating this and ignoring my analysis on the 1900X being the worst of the FOUR EIGHT CORE SKUs, while also ignoring that the 1950X was priced the same as the 2920X during the second generation, which I showed much of this year, the 1950X and 2950X were the top sellers for Zen and Zen+ at MindFactory.de, the largest retailer in Germany. That shows the 2970WX and 2990WX, the top core counts, were NOT moving as much as the 16-core, while the bottom 12-core was gutted by gen-1 16-core sales. I showed this empirical data, yet he keeps this talking point.

I even asked to be shown hard data to contradict that statement. It was never provided.

10. TANWare

Reputations:
    Back before the release Enthusiasts went gaga over x399 and the I/O capabilities. The 16 core made every machine like a two in one, 8 cores for intense I/O activity and then 8 cores for general use. AMD has seemed to ignore this with Zen2 and TR. Now if 3960x were compliant people would have upgraded for the IPC and compute.

Enthusiast though would seem to at least settle for a 16 core TR Zen2 and sTRX4 for the added IPC and I/O. Will we see it, doubtful but we can make a case and hope.

ajc9988 likes this.