AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris/Navi GPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Cass-Olé

Cass-Olé Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    B550A OEM-only budget Chipset spotted in Alienware Aurora Specs Manual that dropped today
    [​IMG]
    I don't have time to do a crash-course in B550A (it may amount to a B450 re-brand), but 'what is it?' was a topic floating in the Tech Press last month like AnandTech AMD B550A System Spotted: OEM Only Chipset, PCIe 3.0 spurred by Robert Hallock Reddit re: AsRock B550AM mthrbrd seen at BestBuy
    [​IMG]
    I showed a few pages back that the Aliens require $1250 for 3950x, which is a $750 CPU. Imagine paying an ultra-premium price just to run it on a budget mthrbrd with budget chipset on budget cooling & have it overheat while you're at it

Reviews suggest 3950x may run cooler than 3900x, which puts Aurora in a pickle should someone say: get the 3900x instead! The Aliens forbid the Area-51 R3 TRip 1950x the Bios update it needed to upgrade to 2950x, I suspect they'll forbid 3950x buyers a Bios update to upgrade next year

Either way, when I showed a few pages back that buyers can expect to pay up to $1400 over retail on just CPU-DDR4, & if what I read is true that the Aliens will be the exclusive pre-built OEM for 3950x, if AMD wanted to do right by the enthusiast community then they chose poorly to use Dellware as the platform to do so: budget mthrbrd/chipset/cooling while asking the highest possible price for the CPU & potentially no Bios update next year to upgrade with (come on: best mainstream CPU yet, running on junk mthrbrd that overheats & gets loud --> notebookcheck today: the premium desktop has been destroying benchmarks apparently at the cost of heat and noise emissions)(why AMD, why let the rip-off artists showcase & make bank off of your best CPU)

Predatory Pricing? Weak Hardware?​

Predatorware

Below was an interesting exchange in the forum comments section on then-unreleased B550A
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Papusan, hmscott and ajc9988 like this.
  2. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If I had to guess, they're taking the chiplets that have 8 working cores, but aren't fast enough for retail 3950X or 3800X (or even 3700X) and using them for this purpose. Basically, the bottom bin that they really couldn't sell at retail. This kind of thing is for bragging rights (I 4m m0ar 1337 th4n u!!1!) between people who would never know the difference.

Papusan likes this.
  3. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The compatibility thing is not going to happen, ship has long sailed.

The pinouts could have been mapped to allow for x399 to run 3960x and 3970x. At the same point the new board, TRX4, would have run from 3960x forward. Anyone building a zen2 from scratch then would not want to buy an EOL x399. I hope this explains it better.

ajc9988 and Papusan like this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Why oh why didn't they use a "visible" ThreadRipper 3 CPU showing in a Terminator Model T-3000 cranium in the movie?? :D

Terminator: Dark Fate meets 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™
    AMD
    Published on Nov 15, 2019
    Visual Effects Powerhouse Blur Studio leverages 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ processors to stay on the bleeding edge of what’s possible for their work in VFX. See behind the scenes of Terminator: Dark Fate, and learn how the processing power of 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ was instrumental in the VFX that Blur Studio delivered for the film. Discover more: http://www.amd.com/threadripper

jclausius likes this.
  5. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I am also disappointed that there won't be a 16 core thread ripper. I'd love to go back to quad channel memory and having all of the additional IO at my disposal. Plus I'm already bored of the 3900x, lol... Just not enough to spend $$$$ I suppose. May end up back on x299.

6. TANWare

Reputations:
    As of late though I like being bored. I get to sit back and relax and the system just works for what I need.

7. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I get it for sure. I go back and forth, right now I'm in mess around mode. I just ordered a couple of rads and I'm going to WC the desktop. X299 was really fun for overclocking for sure. Outside of messing with ram there's not much I can do with this ryzen cpu.

hmscott and TANWare like this.
  8. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    That was the point of my analysis above. The price gap and cost of entry for HEDT really opens it up for 14 core and 18-core Intel HEDT CPUs...

hmscott and custom90gt like this.
  9. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I should have said "the compatibility meta-issue". I have no problem with what AMD did.

Allowing X399 to run 3960X and 3970X, but not (hypothetical) 3980X or 3990X, would create a lot of confusion IMO. A chipset that supports some but not all chips in a product line would be very nonintuitive.

Also, X399 isn't EOL. It may not be moved further forward, but that isn't the same as EOL. They're still selling X399 and compatible CPUs.

hmscott likes this.
  10. TANWare

Reputations:
    I am concerned with some of the TRX4 boards. In that the VRM's no not appear much beefier than the original x399 boards. This is mainly from what I can se the cheaper ones. I am sure they are ok for the 3960x and 3970x but for overclocking the 3990x, I am not sure.

Not that it is actual EOL, in none available. EOL as in no further native upgradable CPU's 2990wx is the last of them.

Papusan and ajc9988 like this.