AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris/Navi GPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @Vasudev @hmscott

maybe you guys donno this but the gen 4 SSD will all need active cooling. the foot print is to small currently for anything of that speed and it will overheat.

also even with passive cooling may not be enough. i have the optane m.2 ssd and currently using it so i know the heatsink only expands the capacity and offers barely any passive cooling. they need to come up with better controllers and lower those power usage before it'll be any useful in a laptop.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    AMD "Raven Ridge" and "Summit Ridge" CPUs Won't Work on X570 Chipset Techpowerup.com | May 27, 2019

If you own an AMD 300-series motherboard and are looking to upgrade to Zen 2-based Ryzen 3000 series processors, you have nothing to worry about, as long as your motherboard vendor puts out a BIOS update that adds compatibility (most vendors already have). If you belong to the demographic which has a 1st generation Ryzen "Summit Ridge" processor or Ryzen 2000 "Raven Ridge" APU laying around and looking to buy an AMD X570 motherboard, we have some bad news for you.

3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    5GB/s w/o active cooling is asking to sign death warrant. BTW, how did you fit M.2 22110 into your Clevo?
    I don't think current M.2 design on jokebooks will suffice to cool these PCIe 4 NVMe SSD w/o boiling. I think MSI and GB might opt for beefier single huge NVMe drive with active cooling in their laptop using air intakes or fans.

4. Papusan

Reputations:
    Intel Replies to AMD’s Demo: Platinum 9242 Based 48 Core 2S Beats AMD’s 64 Core 2S

Intel does its own run of the AMD Computex 2019 demo with the Intel 9242
    The company also tells me that AMD was not using the correct NAMD optimizations during the Computex 2019 demo, which is to be expected considering it is a first party benchmark designed to showcase something in the best light possible and you should always take first party benches with a grain of salt. To this end, Intel gave me a run with the optimizations in place and an SKU that consider to be positioned against AMD’s Rome die: ie the Intel Platinum 9242 – a 48 core part.

Not only Intel prefer dirty tricks:D

-----------------------------------------

AMD Ryzen 9 CPU With 16 Zen 2 Core Overclocked & Tested in Cinebench, Faster Than i9-9980XE – 7nm Ryzen Threadripper HEDT CPUs Still Happening
    https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-16-core-zen-2-cpu-leak-overclock-benchmarks/
    [​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------

AMD Unveils Ryzen 9 3900x 12 Core, Shows Off Radeon RX 5700, And So Many Leaks Were Wrong

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Ashtrix, bennyg, ajc9988 and 2 others like this.
  5. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    I know the games have begun, but that was fast even for me. :)

From the link in the quoted post below:
    :D

The camera slowly zooms out, shows a lonely figure standing at the edge of a canyon, yells out 'Hey AMD, the ball is in your court again!'. The figure listens to the booming echos fade and then slowly walks away as the sun goes down and engineers all around the world keep working towards the next great launch...

Lol... :)

Why do I find this so much fun? Because Intel will be forced to lower their prices or else really give us the performance I know they're capable of offering soon(er). ;)

Vasudev likes this.
  6. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    I did some math that should be relevant to the discussions today:

Edit: Also, on the Intel comparison, what they also don't mention is Intel having a TDP of 350W+, that those 48-56 core parts REQUIRE, not suggest, WATER COOLING, and that they have a significant advantage on memory bandwidth (which we have to be honest about, because they have 12-channels per socket rather than 8-channels, which is impressive if you need memory bandwidth).

Just some stuff that WCCFtech left out of that article.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Zymphad

Zymphad Zymphad

Reputations:
    My opinion:

For those with a high-end X470, unless you are looking to upgrade to a 16 core, for god sakes, don't get the new X570 boards.
    - It's clear to me, Gigabyte, ASRock and Asus x470 top boards were not made for 2700x. It's absolutely overkill for 2700x 3 times over. When AMD announced Zen2 would be on AM4, I am absolutely convinced they made these x470 boards with Zen2 support in mind. Our boards were made for Zen2 up to the R9 12 core.
    - If you are interested in building a AMD machine from Intel with Zen2, if you can get a top high end x470 on sale, I probably would get that over the overpriced x570 monsters that are coming.

Here are the reasons why:
    At minimum, the top x470 boards from Gigabyte, ASRock and Asus can handle 400 amps. Nearly 2x what a 12 core R9 will pull. (Sorry, MSI x470 boards aren't even worth mentioning. Their B450 were great value, but that's it).
    PCIE 4.0 will make no difference. Currently even for a 2080Ti, no difference between PCIE 3.0 x8 and x16 @ 1440p or higher. You may get insane read/write speeds on your NVME, but I already got 3000 write speed NVME, so couldn't care less.
    With Zen2 on X470 I expect we will be able to overclock our ram to 3866 stable. The difference between 3866 and say 4.2 ghz DDR4 in games will be nill. I'll be shocked if you get more than 1 FPS difference.

x570 chipset is definitely impressive. It really is. But I'm just saying, with current hardware and current state of software, there are zero reasons to upgrade to from x470 to x570 unless you need a 14 phase monster for 16 core overclocked to 4.4 ghz all cores...
    - Gigabyte x470 Gaming 7 - 10 + 2 phase w/ 40A chokes with overkill heatsinks
    - Asus Crosshair VII - 10 + 2 phase w/ 60A chokes
    - ASRock Taichi - 12 + 2 60A chokes

Among these 3 boards, with the 3800x I don't expect VRM temps to reach even 70C. Seriously, I truly believe for those of us with those boards I mentioned, 3800x with PBO won't even consume half of the available power.

So please, IMO, save your money. There are no benefits to upgrading to X570 if you got a top end X470. My suggestion, upgrade your x370 or x470 board when the next generation of boards come out that support DDR5.

Vasudev, Papusan and ajc9988 like this.
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
    First and last please stop this talk about fanboyism. You as others know I only look on performance + overclocking.
    I can't see anything in my posts that should offend you. I post info found from the internet. Nothing more or last. So please stop with it. Thanks:)

I haven't shot down AMD's new Ryzen line of processors. So this can be said.

But look at these numbers below for 3800X. Then compare it with todays 8 cores Intel 9900K. 2% lead in CBR-20, Yeah not much in front. And will the same numbers for Multi-Thread show up when we see 9900KS out? 3rd gen 8 core Ryzen is brand new arch whitch help AMD perform better. Compare it with old Intels old 14nm++ is somewhat lopsided/crooked/skewed. But still... Can still not crush Intel's old 8 cores in performance. They need 12 cores for that. And none know how they really will overclock. Still to early for that type info.
    [​IMG]

Vasudev, ajc9988 and tilleroftheearth like this.
  9. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    On Epyc that still is a bit scarce on info, are these both air cooled and a host or other questions too.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  10. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    That was a repost to someone else on another forum. Sorry for the confusion, it was NOT directed at you. I just did not want to retype my analysis (but I should have edited out those parts). That is completely my fault and I do apologize. That was not directed at you.

Now that that is cleared up, we can get to the substance. Intel's single core goes up about 2% per 100MHz. As such, with the 9900KS having a 5GHz all core boost (300MHz over a stock 9900K), we can assume the single core boost has been raised an equivalent 300MHz at stock (not talking overclock yet, although I don't believe there is much in the tank left for overclocking considering LUUMI showing his R0 revised stepping hitting a wall at 5.4GHz due to heat in his location, otherwise 5.5 for benching, meaning 5.4 may be a more common daily driver). That would give Intel approximately a 5% faster single threaded performance at around 5.3GHz single core boost, in theory.

Now, Intel's all core boost going from 4.7GHz to 5GHz is about 6.4% improvement, which would put it closer to a 41% improvement from their baseline 9700K. That means AMD would need a little more than 4.5GHz all core OC to catch it at stock.

We will have to watch, but if the delta is 6% in performance but 21% extra cost (if priced the same as a 9900K), then there is a question.

Vasudev likes this.