AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris/Navi GPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    GPD "Win 2 Max" Allegedly Ditches Intel CPU For AMD Ryzen APU
    Zhiye Liu | Apr 6, 2019 7:10 am ET
    https://amp.tomshardware.com/news/gpd-win-2-max-amd-ryzen-apu,39005.html

"GamePad Digital (GPD), the manufacturer behind the original Win handheld gaming PC, recently teased some technical drawings on the company's Twitter account of what appears to be the Win 2 Max. This new model purportedly swaps out the Intel CPU the company used in previous designs for an AMD APU.
    It's unknown which APU the company will implement in the GPD Win 2 Max. AMD APUs feature a cTDP (configurable thermal design power) so OEMs can adjust them to their liking. Unfortunately for us, it's practically impossible to make a wild guess on the exact model without having more information on hand. As per Liliputing's information, the APU is rated for 25W but can be underclocked to 15W to save battery, or overclocked to 30W to squeeze out every drop of performance. So, let's hope that GPD sticks a bigger battery in the GPD Win 2 Max to compensate for the higher TDP.

Besides the processor upgrade, the GPD Win 2 Max is rumored to come with a quieter dual-fan cooling solution, a pocket-style keyboard, and a higher-resolution display. The GPD Win 2 has a 6-inch 1280x720 screen. The Max version presumably sports a resolution of 1280x800, which could possibly point to a bigger screen in the 7-inch range. At any rate, the Ryzen APU should have no problems pumping out decent framerates in most AAA titles at the aforementioned resolution.

The GPD Win 2 Max supposedly comes out sometime this year. More information on the device will probably pop up as we near launch."

Vasudev likes this.
  2. hmscott

Reputations:
    Somehow missed posting this one, it's interesting enough to check and then compare against the Ryzen 2 / Ryzen 3xxx desktop IHS / 3rd party IHS's.

Lapped Ryzen IHS vs. Copper & Stock IHS
    Gamers Nexus
    Published on May 7, 2018
    We first lap (sand) a Ryzen integrated heatspreader, then benchmark it thermally vs. a Rockit Cool & stock copper IHS.
    Article: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/32...
    Previous Rockit Cool test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb-ES...
    Rockit Cool IHS here: https://goo.gl/j1ZanC
    We used various sand papers (grit 600, 1200, 1500, 2000, 3000) to sand and polish an AMD APU IHS for the R3 2200G APU, which we previously delidded. This goes with our earlier testing of a custom copper Rockit Cool IHS with the AMD APU, found at the link above. This process involves removing the nickel plated finish from the AMD Ryzen CPU heatspreader, and in so doing smooths out the surface, eliminating many of the microscopic imperfections in the surface. We also polished the surface to a mirror finish, not shown in the video (because it was even more boring than sanding).

3. hmscott

Reputations:
    TSMC sees 7nm chip orders pick-up
    Cage Chao, Taipei; Jessie Shen, DIGITIMES, Wednesday 3 April 2019
    https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20190403PD209.html

"Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) has seen 7nm chip orders ramp up and the process capacity utilization rate start picking up recently, according to industry sources.

With handset chip clients stepping up their pace of advanced chip orders, TSMC is expected to see its 7nm manufacturing processes run at full utilization in the third quarter of 2019, the sources indicated.

TSMC's 7nm process technology has been adopted for the production of new-generation CPUs, GPUs, artificial intelligence (AI)-related solutions and server chips slated for launch this year, according to sources at first-tier handset SoC companies. Among TSMC's 7nm chip clients, HiSilicon and AMD have been ramping up their wafer starts aggressively.

Qualcomm and MediaTek are both keeping a close eye on TSMC's 7nm process utilization rate, and are expected to follow suit demanding more wafer starts at TSMC later in the second quarter, the sources said. And with orders for the new-generation iPhone set to occupy the majority of TSMC's available 7nm process capacity in the third quarter, the pure-play foundry will enjoy a substantial rise in the process capacity utilization during the quarter, the sources continued.

TSMC's 7nm process utilization rate might have hit the lowest for 2019 in the first quarter, according to the sources.

A pick-up in 7nm process utilization may lead to a particularly strong second quarter of 2019 for TSMC, according to market sources. The pick-up is driven mainly by a ramp-up in chip orders for new Android devices.

In addition, TSMC has kicked off volume production of chips built using an enhanced 7nm with EUV node at the end of March, the sources noted. The foundry is expected to enter mass shipments of EUV-based 7nm chips in the second half of 2019.

Overall, 7nm chip orders will be critical in determining TSMC's revenue growth this year."

AMD Ramps Up 7nm Production Before Apple Starts Buying

Mike Sanders / 4 days ago
    https://www.eteknix.com/amd-ramps-up-7nm-production-before-apple-starts-buying/

Deks, TANWare and Vasudev like this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Vasudev likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    AMD Radeon ProRender NAB 2019 Updates Include Plug-In for Blender 2.80 Beta, AI-Accelerated Denoising, and More
    Blog Post created by alexander.blake-davies [​IMG] on Apr 9, 2019
    https://community.amd.com/community...er-280-beta-ai-accelerated-denoising-and-more
    For this year’s NAB Show, we’re announcing updates to our AMD Radeon™ ProRender plug-ins, new integrations, and important updates for developers.

Radeon ProRender is our fast, easy, and incredible physically-based rendering engine that enables creative professionals to produce stunningly photorealistic images.

For NAB 2019, we’re releasing the Open Beta of our new Radeon™ ProRender plug-in for the Blender™ 2.80 Beta, adding significant new features to our plug-ins for Autodesk® 3ds Max® and Maya®, including AI-accelerated denoising, adaptive sampling, and hair support, and announcing integration into Foundry Modo® 13.

Additionally, for developers, our Radeon ProRender Developer Suite is now available, along with our updated feature roadmap for this quarter, and we’re also announcing our new Full Spectrum Rendering technology. Read on for more details about all the updates.

Radeon ProRender for Blender v2.0 Beta for Blender 2.80 Beta

Building on our well-received Radeon ProRender plug-in for Blender 2.79, our new v2.0 plug-in has been completely rewritten for the Blender 2.80 Beta. Commonly used Blender native shader nodes are supported out of the box, including the Blender Principled Shader node. Radeon ProRender nodes, particularly the Uber Shader node, are provided for a more “expert level” shader setup. Additionally, viewport and final rendering are more robust and optimized over the Blender 2.79 plug-in.
    [​IMG]
    AI-Accelerated Denoising
    Available in the Blender 2.80 Beta, Autodesk 3ds Max, and Maya plug-ins for Windows® (macOS® and Linux® support planned at a later date), our new AI-accelerated denoiser harnesses the power of machine learning to produce high-quality final and interactive renders in a fraction of the time traditional denoising takes, quickly providing artists the info they need to make creative decisions, speeding up workflows.
    [​IMG]
    Adaptive Sampling
    Adaptive Sampling lets you set a threshold for noise in your render and areas of the render that are fully converged and below this level of noise will no longer get samples. This accelerates render times while enabling higher-quality renders. Adaptive Sampling is available in the Blender 2.80 Beta, Autodesk 3ds Max, and Maya plug-ins.
    [​IMG]
    Hair Rendering Support
    We’ve added support for rendering realistic looking hair, fur, grass, and other strand-like objects to our plug-ins for Blender 2.80 Beta and Autodesk Maya. With this update, Radeon ProRender now supports Maya’s XGen interactive grooming tools and Blender 2.80’s native hair particle system, allowing artists to use Radeon ProRender for more than just hard surface modeling, opening it up to be used for organic rendering such as creature and character design.
    [​IMG]
    Autodesk 3ds Max and Maya Plug-In Specific Updates
    In addition to the major feature updates above, our updated plug-in for 3ds Max supports the just-released new version of 3ds Max, 2020. For Maya (for the Windows and macOS plug-ins only), we’ve added support for Maya Fluid Volumes, allowing you to render advanced effects like smoke, fog, and clouds, the ability to convert Arnold Renderer and Redshift materials to Radeon ProRender materials, and support for Maya 2019. For both plug-ins we’ve reorganized the render settings to allow for clearer user control, helping improve workflows.
    [​IMG]
    Foundry Modo 13 Radeon ProRender Integration
    With the latest version of Modo, our powerful physically-based hardware agnostic rendering engine is fully integrated into The Foundry’s powerful and flexible 3D modeling, sculpting, and animation tool. Using Modo 13, artists can now render stunning photorealistic images using the integrated Radeon ProRender GPU-accelerated rendering engine
    [​IMG]
    Full Spectrum Rendering: From Rasterized to Reality
    Radeon ProRender’s new Full Spectrum Rendering technology supports every stage of the rendering pipeline and is coming soon to the Radeon ProRender Developer Suite to enable integration of this technology into future versions of popular digital content creation (DCC) applications.
    [​IMG]
    The full Full Spectrum includes rasterized rendering for standard viewport creation, hybrid rendering for advanced viewport creation, biased photorealistic rendering for look development, and path traced reality for final rendering.

By integrating this technology, developers can use Radeon ProRender Full Spectrum Rendering to optimize their application’s rendering performance for every step of the content creation workflow from the initial design stage all the way to the final render for production or executive review.

Radeon ProRender for Developers
    To help make it easier for developers to get the tools they need to integrate Radeon ProRender into their application, we’ve created the new Radeon ProRender Developer Suite that includes non-commercial use SDKs for Radeon ProRender, Radeon™ Rays, and the Radeon™ Image Filter Library.
    [​IMG]
    Radeon Rays is our high-performance ray intersection acceleration library, and is available in two versions, Radeon Rays 2.0 that uses OpenCL™ and Radeon Rays 3.0 that uses Vulkan®. The Radeon™ Image Filter Library includes AI-accelerated denoising and standard GPU-accelerated image filters.

The non-commercial SDKs in the Developer Suite are designed for developers prototyping integration into their applications and when they’re ready to take the next step towards integrating Radeon ProRender they can sign an AMD Commercial Software Licensing Agreement (SLA).
    Updated Quarterly Development Roadmap
    Lastly, we’ve updated our development roadmap for Radeon ProRender, listing the features scheduled to be added in the next quarter and beyond. This roadmap both provides developers information about features they can expect to see available in updates to our SDK and gives end-users insight into features they can expect to see in future updates to our plug-ins.
    amd prodeveloper schedule of updates.JPG
    See the website for download links, community, forum, and other info...

AMD's Radeon ProRender plugin updates and SDK available for free (including ML Denoiser)
    submitted 5 hours ago by bsavery
    https://www.reddit.com/r/vfx/comments/bbeumc/amds_radeon_prorender_plugin_updates_and_sdk/

bsavery[S] 1 point 4 hours ago
    "Maya, 3dsMax and Blender plugins all updated with ML Denoiser. Plus support for Blender 2.80 and 3dsMax 2020.

The really interesting part is making GPU pathtracing possible in any application with the open SDK which supports any vendor's hardware."

Vasudev likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Have you ever been insulted for choosing AMD?
    Submitted 11 hours ago by Brutual_Bro
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bba3c6/have_you_ever_been_insulted_for_choosing_amd/

Uncle_Gamer Ryzen 2600X and Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 105 points 10 hours ago
    "I went to speak at my son's computer club and had the 16 year old president of the club try to explain to me that an intel i3 was better than any Ryzen processor. He also wanted me to understand that nVidia drivers have never had any issues while AMD is a constant mess.

I pointed out the error in his thinking and he came unglued, explaining that as I was older I did not understand how gaming systems work.

Was hilarious."

bctoy 38 points 11 hours ago
    "We used to insult a friend because his Athlon didn't have the clockspeeds of our Pentium 4s.

It was years later that I saw the benchmarks of that time and how badly the Athlons whupped Pentiums."

The offensive comment's from Intel / Nvidia owners always make me smile, if they only knew. But of course, they don't, which is what is so funny. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  7. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Gaming is slightly faster on Intel systems (usually). Where it is faster though it barely is and only where the higher end skews are used and expensive video cards along with nominal resolutions and lastly with monitors that can take advantage of those few extra FPS. So only specific circumstances, and usually an expensive one at that.

Raiderman, Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  8. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have read many threads, and posts about the differences between Nvidia, and AMD graphics wise, and many are saying that AMD is superior in quality, and vibrancy during gameplay. Many suggest Nvidia sacrifices quality for more FPS. I dont know if there is any truth to all that, but something to think about.

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah nvidia does this crap. All these years I thought my eyes and my cheap external monitor was the cause of worse image quality when I found that nvidia windows driver don't use dithering so everything looks washed out on all internal/external displays. I never noticed it.

Raiderman and hmscott like this.
  10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Nvidia GPU's don't really implement compute hw to the same degree as AMD gpu's do.
    Hence why NV can pack more ROP's and texture units onto a gpu with higher clocks.
    AMD GPU's usually have a tier above compute performance (compared to NV cards) which is power demanding and can limit clocks (but, despite this, lower clocked Polaris and Vega GPU's matched their NV counterparts - suggesting AMD has better IPC, but because of compute was limited in regards to how high they can clock their GPU's without going overboard with power consumption)... couple that with the node previously used for mobile parts and low power (whereas NV used TSMC for high perf. and efficiency nodes)... but when undervolted, AMD usually reaches/surpasses NV.
    All round, given that NV doesn't have as much compute hw to work with, they are actually less efficient 'multipurpose GPU's' vs AMD - and when some gamers bad mouth AMD, they don't really look at the GPU from all angles (and neither do reviewers).

In regards to image quality... I can't say if NV does 'cheat' with image quality to improve performance, but in my previous experience of using NV, I hadn't noticed this.
    Unless we can compare both systems side by side using same monitors and mostly same systems (sans the GPU's), we can't know for sure.

But, I did notice that AMD improved their drivers significantly.
    I know they haven't had issues with them for years really, but in comparison to NV, they modernized their drivers to a degree that easily surpasses NV and are much more frequent in releasing them too.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.