AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris/Navi GPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It looks like the end results will not be the all inspiring Intel killer originally though of. While it will be better than 12nm I think they are bracing us for the worse. 7nm looks to be just a slight incremental improvement now that Moore's law is dead. The original thought seemed to be 7nm was going to be at least a 15% to 20% improvement over intel's 14nm but I do not think this any longer to be the case.

I think this is actually a good thing. having slightly faster products than the competition will raise demand on the CPU's slowly. Hopefully avoiding not being able to meet that demand. If Ryzen were to suddenly make Intel products antiquated it could cause supply issues. This especially as Intel may be a year or more before it can even start to answer.

AMD is also now in the position that is may soon be able to hold some things up its sleeve to release to compete instead of visa versa. I do not doubt one day Intel may regain the CPU crown, if it is lost, but since AMD is planning the as a slow and long lasting process you can expect this to be a drawn out fight.

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    AMD’s David Wang: We Won’t Implement DirectX RayTracing (DXR) In Games Until Its Offered In All (Gaming) Product Ranges
    By Usman Pirzada, 11 hours ago
    https://wccftech.com/amds-david-wan...-dxr-until-its-offered-in-all-product-ranges/

"Japanese gaming site 4Gamer has managed to get a scoop from AMD’s David Wang (Senior Vice President of Engineering for Radeon Technologies Group) about the company’s plans to support DXR or DirectX Raytracing in games.

“For the time being, AMD will definitely respond to Direct Raytracing,” for the moment we will focus on promoting the speed-up of offline CG production environments centered on AMD’s Radeon ProRender, which is offered free of charge ….. utilization of ray tracing games will not proceed unless we can offer ray tracing in all product ranges from low end to high end,”
    – David Wang, AMD in an interview to 4Gamer"

AMD Speaks Out Regarding Their Support For DXR Real Time Ray Tracing In Games
    WccftechTV
    Published on Nov 12, 2018
    Japanese gaming site 4Gamer has managed to get a scoop from AMD’s David Wang (Senior Vice President of Engineering for Radeon Technologies Group) about the company’s plans to support DXR or DirectX RayTracing in games.

3. ghegde

ghegde Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i'm hoping for 8/12 Core Zen2 laptop out of all this

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    ajc9988 likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    AMD Radeon RX 590 final specs, pricing and performance
    Published: 13th Nov 2018, 18:22 GMT
    https://videocardz.com/79007/amd-radeon-rx-590-final-specs-pricing-and-performance

"AMD Radeon RX 590 to cost 279 USD
    Let’s start with the most important piece of information. The official MSRP for Radeon RX 590 is 279 USD. This is a suggested price for nonexisting reference model (I mean there is a slide with a reference design, but I’m pretty sure it won’t be available). That said, the 279 USD price tag is likely just a starting point.

The price of RX 590 is therefore 40 USD higher than RX 480 at launch and 50 USD higher than RX 580 at launch (we are talking about 8GB models here).
    rx590 vs rx580 vs rx480 specifications.JPG
    It is important to note that Radeon RX 590 will be offered with a ‘blockbuster launch bundle’, with three ‘free’ titles included: Devil May Cry 5 (unreleased) The Division 2 and Resident Evil 2 (unreleased).

The presentation has many references to AMD ecosystem, especially FreeSync monitors. AMD is advertising their GPU+display solution as ~200 USD cheaper than competitions’.

RX 590: 12% better performance vs RX 580
    Thanks to refined Polaris architecture now utilizing 12nm fabrication process, AMD has managed to squeeze 12% more performance and 15% higher clock speeds out of Polaris silicon. These are official figures straight from the slide.

The following tests were conducted with: Intel i7 7700K, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, AMD Driver 18.40, Windows 10. AMD also used GeForce 416.34 and 399.24 driver in various tests. The footnotes have more details, including 3DMark results, which I added below.

All tests were performed at a 1080p resolution with ‘maximum settings’.

Remember these are official tests performed by AMD employees. Independent reviews will be available on November 15th:
    rx590 vs rx580 vs rx480 vs 1060 6gb.JPG

6. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The extra performance is a good reason to buy new rather than a used 580 at these price points.

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    Why I Sold My Vega 64 For an RX 580
    FocusTripp
    Published on Jun 10, 2018
    Pretty simple, it works better for my current situation and I don't lose as much value in it as I would with a Vega 64. also, it's quiet.

Crossfire RX 580's = 1080ti performance?!...well kind of
    Timmy Joe PC Tech
    Published on Nov 14, 2018
    Should you buy an extra RX 580 in 2018 to try to achieve those next generation performance numbers? With the almost best case scenario system, we explore RX 580 crossfire and it's short comings in 2018!
    Crossfire compatibility list: http://amdcrossfire.wikia.com/wiki/Crossfire_Game_Compatibility_List

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  8. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    https://wccftech.com/amd-epyc-rome-64-core-7nm-flagship-cpu-clocks-2-35-ghz/

Well, cats out of the bag! I calculated that speed from the all core boost of the 7601 Epyc chips, which the zen 2 doubled performance and an IPC of 13% was expected, so I reduced the speed by 13%. That would seem to be base clock, so boost of the 64 core chip will be even higher, adding more performance. If my headaches didn't get in the way of finishing that article, I would have looked awesome at that revelation in a slide deck from HPE.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Raise the Game - Fully Loaded
    https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/raise-the-game
    game_logo.png
    get up to 3 games free.JPG
    AMD Sapphire Nitro+ RX590 Review - Its a CRACKING card !
    KitGuruTech
    Published on Nov 15, 2018
    Click to Jump to Benchmarks @ 08:55
    Today AMD launch their new RX590 - and its actually a pretty good value for money proposition with this Sapphire Nitro+ RX590 version hitting retail around £260 in the UK via Overclockers UK.
    Read the full review over on www.kiguru.net HERE: http://bit.ly/2Prs81D

RX 590 vs RX 580 vs GTX 1060 | Games of 2018 SHOWDOWN
    Joker Productions
    Click to Jump to Benchmarks @ 02:04
    Benchmarking the NEW AMD RX 590 vs RX 580 vs GTX 1060 from NVIDIA in the best PC Games of 2018 showdown for the best GPU under $300.
    Radeon RX 590 vs. RX 580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060, Battle for the Best Value sub-$300 GPU
    Hardware Unboxed
    Click to Jump to Benchmarks @ 03:20
    Radeon RX 590 Review - AMD Strikes BACK... Sort Of
    HardwareCanucks
    The AMD Radeon RX590 is a "new" GPU that's based on old technology. But our performance benchmarks may tell a different story when the RX590 is compared against the RX580 and GTX 1060 6GB.
    XFX RX 590 Fatboy Tear-Down & Design Critique
    Gamers Nexus
    We critique an AMD RX 590 by XFX, the 'Fatboy,' and discuss odd thermal design choices for the new RX 590 GPU. The GPU performance will be tested later.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    ajc9988 likes this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations: