AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris/Navi GPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    How NOT to unbox AMD Threadripper - It was an accident... I swear

ajc9988 likes this.
  2. hmscott

Reputations:
    AMD Project 47 Supercomputer SIGGRAPH 2017

1st PETAFLOP SuperComputer, the IBM / AMD RoadRunner May 25, 2008
    AMD IBM RoadRunner 1st SuperComputer with 1 PETAFLOP performance 2008.jpg
    AMD EPYC / Radeon Instinct MI25 GPU 1 PETAFLOP SuperComputer July 30, 2017
    project 47.jpg
    80 GPU's support 16 VEGA remote sessions, 1280 simultaneous sessions.
    1280 Vega Sessions 16 per GPU 80 Vega GPUs.jpg

AMD Demos Petaflop-in-a-Rack Supercomputer
    https://www.top500.org/news/amd-demos-petaflop-in-a-rack-supercomputer/

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    TANWare and ajc9988 like this.
  3. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's helpful, I was wondering what the contact area was like on some of those.

hmscott and ajc9988 like this.
  4. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    Thank you. I'm going with a full custom water cooling solution in the next month. I am thinking instead of a Ryzen color scheme, I will do orange and white. Hopefully EKG will eventually release a block that covers the entire chip (I know it doesn't need it but I think it will look better).

The RAM is a stopgap. When support is better, I'll get better. Over the next 6 months, I'm going all out on this build. The only thing I'm undecided on are gpu's. I'm still not certain whether I will go with a single card or stick with Sli.

ajc9988 and hmscott like this.
  5. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    That video was very informative and I am now going to have to reconsider any AIO not made for TR4. The ideal solution is to have the cold plate positioned parallel to the dies, but there is no way to know that. I hope this doesn't turn out to be a snafu for AMD. People are going to be using AIO or even custom cooling kits designed for single die chips. In the video, he does hint at the chip possibly not getting proper cooling.

This has not posed a problem with mainstream Ryzen, but I am going to take a wait and see approach. On the flip-side, any AIO or custom water cooling kits developed for TR4 are going to cost more.

ajc9988 and hmscott like this.
  6. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    I'm doing the same thing, but would recommend a monoblock. You might as well get something that cools the VRM if you are watercooling (since it is so simple at that point). I'd almost recommend the Giga board for color and for direct listing of running the Trident Z 3600 at its rated XMP. Complementary colors and what have you (although unnecessary). Before you do, I think JayzTwoCentz showed why he steers away from darker colors because of draining an orange out of a system (looks good to start, looks bad later sometimes). Don't know if you were talking the liquid with the orange or just the colors of components. EK plans on both custom blocks for it and monoblocks for some boards. They primarily make monoblocks for Asus, but have also done it for MSI second most, then Giga. They never have made one for Asrock, so I shot a message to ask if they plan to this round.

I hear ya on the ram. Just wanted to point out speed and price because the prices will continue to suck until at least Q1 of 2018. Horrible time to buy ram (I say as I just bought a 16GB kit of 3200 Trident Z on sale for $135 for my router/firewall build). But I hear you. If you can wait until next year, you get more data on compatible dimms AND you get a cheaper price. So, plan on the stopgap being a little longer, if possible (I understand if you can't wait, just give advice to help your wallet; that is when I might go to 64GB).

For the AIO, I'll wait to get info on monoblock support, but that still means relying on my TT Water 3.0 Ultimate in push/pull to make it through until it is available. I don't think it will be the issue some think it is, but we'll find out. Every single review came with a 360mm AIO. You don't do that unless you think that will give good performance for reviews. But, the design of heatsinks is third party support, not something to blame on AMD. AMD cannot force them to make a product. I recommend monitoring the heat per core for all cores to make sure you don't overheat any core while waiting for better solutions.

As to them costing more, it is a niche processor compared to mainstream, so the research and components have to be paid by a smaller pool of users, so of course it will cost more. Name of the game.

Rage Set and hmscott like this.
  7. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Myself I would recommend a custom application of ICD on the water block to CPU. At least have it cover the entire area of possible copper contact. Liquid metal may be better but with that large of a contact patch lapping may be required.

8. hmscott

Reputations:
    That video is a much watch video if you are going to use water-cooling, as the adapter plate doesn't solve the cooling patch lack of coverage - single heat source vs 2-4 heat sources now with ThreadRipper / Epyc.
    It's going to take some experimentation to find the right paste cover for that situation, LM is bad when you don't have a tight fit, and ICD is a pain to clean between applications - scratching off the printing.

With that poor coverage by the center paste screen application, I wonder how good that's going to cool, adding paste further out from the center circle of paste might help, but then you've got the indented screw holes to deal with - they are *right on top of* the hot cores - certainly a dangerous place to put LM due to leaking potential.

It was helpful to see the internal fins for the cooling to see it's coverage - aligning it long way with the spread of the cores should be helpful - along with expanding the paste circle into an area that matches the internal fin "plate".

Hopefully it's enough, if not we are going to need to see new designs with plates and fins that cover the exact area of the core coverage, either monolithicly covering all 4, or 4 fin plates for covering the exact area over the cores - it's going to be interesting to see how the OLC blocks will be designed.

Fun stuff, with improvements to come.

Here the CLC with unpluggable fitments will come in handy, to install upgraded components as the need is established for cooling TR4.

I would imagine Epyc is going to need this even more than TR4, with all 4 cores active. Even with only 2 of the 4 cores active, the other 2 inert cores are still going to be conducting heat from the carrier through the IHS, so they need cooling coverage as well.

Asetek at least need to move those screw holes over so that they are not right on top of the active cores :)

Threadripper Cooler, Thermal Paste Coverage vs. Die Area & IHS
    http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3008-threadripper-cooler-and-thermalpaste-coverage-vs-die-ihs

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    ajc9988 likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Buildzoid rambles about the RX VEGA cards

jaug1337 and ajc9988 like this.
  10. ghegde

ghegde Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    untill AMD can come up with cuDNN , it will not be player in data center, AI workloads that nvidia is on fire about.

Its really stupid from AMD not to after this market

hmscott likes this.